LEFT AFTER HALTIME

OldTimer

I did something today that I've never done before. I left after hearing the Cornhusker Band perform at halftime, a band of which I was once a member, 45 years ago. Since that time I've watched my beloved Huskers play in more than 200 games, at home and on the road. My wife and I have traveled more than 6000 miles and watched more than two dozen Bowl Games.

We've been pelted by frozen oranges in Miami when we played Miami, jeered in the Sugar Bowl when we played LSU and had our car spray painted by drunken Buffalo fans in Colorado, but I've never left a game.

We left today because I could no longer sit and watch our players being humiliated for the second week in a row because they were underprepared, demoralized, and just plain whipped. Half way thru the first quarter I could see they knew they were not going to win against a team they knew they should easily defeat.

Last week I saw the same look in their eyes when they dropped to 14-0 in a game plan that was ill-suited against a team using an offense that took advantage of their inadequate defense.

Make no mistake I am not blaming Coach Callahan. I think he is a fine Coach and is doing a fine job with what he has to work with. The blame should start with the man who decided many years ago that making money was far more important than the game of football to the state of Nebraska, Steve Pederson.

Pederson's personal vendetta against former coach Frank Solich was the beginning of this whole mess and someday this will all come to light. Callahan's "West Coast Offense" may be excellent, but it was doomed from the start for Nebraska for one reason and one reason only. Nebraska will never be able to compete in recruiting with the likes of California, Florida, Texas. For an offense like that to work, you need top-level quarterbacks, running backs, receivers, players that Nebraska can almost never recruit successfully.

Sam Keller is an amazing talent, but why would we choose a player with only one year of eligibility ? Next year we have to begin all over with someone who has no game time. When was the last time Nebraska had an NFL quality quarterback ? Vince Ferragamo is the last one I can remember and that was 30 years ago.

We're 4-3 after today and I can see us losing the next four games. How can we expect any more from our defense when they are on the field most of the game ?

Is there a morale problem in the ranks ? I don't know. I just know there is something wrong. Nebraska has the best fans in the world, and the best kids out there on the field and in the stands.

Get rid of Pederson and his catering to the elite fan base and money grubbing and let's get back to real Nebraska football. I want to enjoy the game again like it was played under Devaney, Osborne, and Solich.

Climbing down off my old softbox. Thanx for listening to this old fart.

Make no mistake I am not blaming Coach Callahan. I think he is a fine Coach and is doing a fine job with what he has to work with. The blame should start with the man who decided many years ago that making money was far more important than the game of football to the state of Nebraska, Steve Pederson.

I don't agree with this statement. BC is not a fine coach. And you can't say he is doing a fine job w/ what he has to work with. According to the recruiting guru's we have had top 20 talent the last 3 years. Top ten in some cases. We have talent. We have NO heart, NO motivation, and Poor coaches. The no talent excuse is over. This is year 4.

I do agree that Pud is a problem and needs to go NOW.

I did something today that I've never done before. I left after hearing the Cornhusker Band perform at halftime, a band of which I was once a member, 45 years ago. Since that time I've watched my beloved Huskers play in more than 200 games, at home and on the road. My wife and I have traveled more than 6000 miles and watched more than two dozen Bowl Games.

We've been pelted by frozen oranges in Miami when we played Miami, jeered in the Sugar Bowl when we played LSU and had our car spray painted by drunken Buffalo fans in Colorado, but I've never left a game.

We left today because I could no longer sit and watch our players being humiliated for the second week in a row because they were underprepared, demoralized, and just plain whipped. Half way thru the first quarter I could see they knew they were not going to win against a team they knew they should easily defeat.

Last week I saw the same look in their eyes when they dropped to 14-0 in a game plan that was ill-suited against a team using an offense that took advantage of their inadequate defense.

Pederson's personal vendetta against former coach Frank Solich was the beginning of this whole mess and someday this will all come to light. Callahan's "West Coast Offense" may be excellent, but it was doomed from the start for Nebraska for one reason and one reason only. Nebraska will never be able to compete in recruiting with the likes of California, Florida, Texas. For an offense like that to work, you need top-level quarterbacks, running backs, receivers, players that Nebraska can almost never recruit successfully.

Sam Keller is an amazing talent, but why would we choose a player with only one year of eligibility ? Next year we have to begin all over with someone who has no game time. When was the last time Nebraska had an NFL quality quarterback ? Vince Ferragamo is the last one I can remember and that was 30 years ago.

We're 4-3 after today and I can see us losing the next four games. How can we expect any more from our defense when they are on the field most of the game ?

Is there a morale problem in the ranks ? I don't know. I just know there is something wrong. Nebraska has the best fans in the world, and the best kids out there on the field and in the stands.

Get rid of Pederson and his catering to the elite fan base and money grubbing and let's get back to real Nebraska football. I want to enjoy the game again like it was played under Devaney, Osborne, and Solich.

I respect your views, but I disagree with the statement that Callahan is a fine coach. I believe without a doubt that Bob Stoops, Bo Pelini, Urban Meyer, anyone could coach these same players and get different results.

As much as I dislike Steve Pederson, he isn't coaching the team, calling the plays, motivating the team. Yeah, we're in this mess because of his ego, but what happens on the field falls at the feet of the head coach, Bill Callahan.

"Make no mistake I am not blaming Coach Callahan. I think he is a fine Coach and is doing a fine job with what he has to work with."

Regardless of whether "5 star" recruits are the very best of the best, they should still be pretty good in the proper program. I don't buy that he just has bad players. That's crap.

Best post I have ever read........ :thumbs

Perhaps I should have been more explicit in my remarks about Callahan. I said I thought he was a fine Coach. I meant that he was a fine Coach in the NFL ranks, but the West Coach Offense is just too damn complicated for any college team. You can't expect a college team with the restrictions on practice times to learn 300-400 plays and excute them in the same manner than a pro team is able to do.

A pro team has a quarterback for years to learn a system. No one can ever expect a college quarterback to learn such a system. I totally agree that what we need is a college rank coach like the ones mentioned in some of the other posts.

I stand corrected.

Perhaps I should have been more explicit in my remarks about Callahan. I said I thought he was a fine Coach. I meant that he was a fine Coach in the NFL ranks, but the West Coach Offense is just too damn complicated for any college team. You can't expect a college team with the restrictions on practice times to learn 300-400 plays and excute them in the same manner than a pro team is able to do.

A pro team has a quarterback for years to learn a system. No one can ever expect a college quarterback to learn such a system. I totally agree that what we need is a college rank coach like the ones mentioned in some of the other posts.

I stand corrected.

Thanks for the clarificatin. I agree the the WCO is complicated and needs to be an NFL offense. Maybe BC would be a good OC in the NFL, not a HC look what he did to the Raiders.

Funny thing is we have these 300-400 plays and we only seem to run about 20 different plays. We can't even get them right. I would rather be good at running 20 different plays than be sh!tty at running 300.

Welcome, sir. You had me until the fifth paragraph. Recruiting is not the problem. Development, preparation and motivtion is.

I will do my best Gundy impersonation... THAT AIN'T TRUE! I would refuse to believe that Nebraska couldn't compete with anyone in the country for a player! As long as Nebraska hasn't fallen too far behind in facilities, with the right coach, Nebraska will compete with ANYONE in the country when it comes to recruits! I know I was skeptical of the same thing when our AD brought in a defensive coach, Bob Stoops, and he brought in a spread offense. I thought there is no way we are going to compete with the XYZs of the world to bring in QBs and WRs to a running university!

I was wrong and I think you are wrong too. Keep your head up, keep going to the games and keep supporting your Huskers! But, by all means, don't accept mediocrity! And, remember, it might actually get worse before it gets better!

Boomer Sooner!!

I will do my best Gundy impersonation... THAT AIN'T TRUE! I would refuse to believe that Nebraska couldn't compete with anyone in the country for a player! As long as Nebraska hasn't fallen too far behind in facilities, with the right coach, Nebraska will compete with ANYONE in the country when it comes to recruits! I know I was skeptical of the same thing when our AD brought in a defensive coach, Bob Stoops, and he brought in a spread offense. I thought there is no way we are going to compete with the XYZs of the world to bring in QBs and WRs to a running university!

I was wrong and I think you are wrong too. Keep your head up, keep going to the games and keep supporting your Huskers! But, by all means, don't accept mediocrity! And, remember, it might actually get worse before it gets better!

Boomer Sooner!!

How could it get any worse?

Boomer Sooner!!

Believe it now...we could very easily finish near last in the Big 12 North....Callahan could get great recruiting classes over the past few years with the promise of starting a new empire......that's not even in the cards now...his job's not even secure....pretty hard to recruit when there's a good chance you wont even be the head coach in a few months....

I never minded Callahan....but he's put himself at a disadvantage by hanging his hat on bad assistant coaches....I believe he will have to sacrifice Cosgrove this week to save his own job for the rest of the year

Old timer I respect your post and thank you for all of your years of being a fan for the Big Red. It is a very very sad time to be a Husker and this coaching staff, in my opinion, has destroyed every tradition that the school was known for. I love the Huskers with all of my being, but right now I am absolutely torn apart by what has happened with this team coupled with the expectations at the beginning of the year. The WCO is way to complicated and should only be used in the NFL. The spread offense should be implemented and the defense obviously needs some major work!!!! The coaches and S.P. need to leave and leave this school with the little dignity that it has left.