Fair Weather Fans?

Putting blame on the fans leaving at halftime is pretty low on the list of things to worry about. If they left at halftime, they showed up for two more quarters than the team did.

Zing!!

Hey, if it takes ending the sellout streak and playing before a half-empty stadium to get the University to can Pederson and Callahan, I'm all for it. Fans can have a say in the direction of the program - and they have the right to.

Maybe I'll be able to get tickets then. I don't want to wait 136 years! :clap

What a gay-ass thread...

Nice comment.

It is a gay-ass thread.

Let's just say I'm not surprised that a guy with the alias of "TrueHuskerFan" would start a thread like this...

Hey, guess what?!? You win. Nebraska football has derailed, isn't it fun!!! Here, I'll slap your back for you. Why are you wasting your time on what fans are doing at the stadium?!? Shouldn't you be anointing the feet of some mysterious Savior of this program who is going to come in and have NU winning 90-0 every game from now until eternity?

Seriously, I think these coaches are a joke and should admit they are and just go, but then there are posters who think they have any clue of a solution and they don't. Yell 'FIRE!', burn down everything, and hope to God something works out.

Amazing. It's just so easy to fix everything, isn't it? Of course it is, because no one is trusting you to do it.

Put your personal vendetta against me aside and use some reason, if you are capable.

The first time I said Callahan had to go was exactly ONE WEEK AGO. Until then I had always reserved judgment. I have never cared for his playcalling, and I had always questioned whether this team was as prepared as its opponents, but I had never called for his head and demanded cleaning out the whole damn house.

Nor have I made one "I told you so" comment. What's the point? In the last week, I've come to the same realization that most Husker fans have - BC isn't the guy for the job, and changes must be made. It seems pretty clear BC's time is about over.

And if that means the program goes back to where it belongs, I am all for it. And just because I mention names of possible candidates whom I like, it doesn't mean I'm right, or that I want just anybody, as you suggest.

And finally, please don't assume that I think fixing this program is "easy." I know I'm just a guy living in Spokane, Washington, who loves the Huskers and therefore comes to a Husker board to talk about the team. I thought that I could post my thoughts about the program without some asshat telling me that I'm a bad fan or that I shouldn't be so critical, because "no one is trusting" me to fix the program.

Somebody is taking this too personally, and it's not me. Grow up, and quit being such a whiny little _ _ _ _ _.

I have no problem with people saying people need to be fired, people booing or whatever. But I just think it's funny when the "Best fans in College Football" leave at halftime. It's easy to be the best fans in College Football when we win 9+ games a year. I commend all the fans that stayed through the end of the game, and cheered these kids when they scored in the fourth quarter. It's just funny to think of Nebraska fans as fair weather, but everyone across the country who sees the footage on ESPN2 of 1000's of people leaving before half is going to be saying that.

BTW, it was worth going to the game to see the '97 team run through that tunnel. Not too many dry eyes in the house at that point.

Still a fan here. I ponied up the 29.95 to watch on pay-per-view. I saw every excruciating minute of the game. Just to be fair, when they showed the fans pouring through the tunnel just before the half, I think they were going for a fairbury frank(sp?) not leaving the game. I think that was just the media making us look bad again. The stands looked pretty full until late in the 4th quarter from what I could see on TV.

Went down to the concession stand at half and there were people streaming through the exits, I yelled, "Best fans in college football," and people looked at me and then put their head down as they exited.

I have no problem with people saying people need to be fired, people booing or whatever. But I just think it's funny when the "Best fans in College Football" leave at halftime. It's easy to be the best fans in College Football when we win 9+ games a year. I commend all the fans that stayed through the end of the game, and cheered these kids when they scored in the fourth quarter. It's just funny to think of Nebraska fans as fair weather, but everyone across the country who sees the footage on ESPN2 of 1000's of people leaving before half is going to be saying that.

BTW, it was worth going to the game to see the '97 team run through that tunnel. Not too many dry eyes in the house at that point.

Still a fan here. I ponied up the 29.95 to watch on pay-per-view. I saw every excruciating minute of the game. Just to be fair, when they showed the fans pouring through the tunnel just before the half, I think they were going for a fairbury frank(sp?) not leaving the game. I think that was just the media making us look bad again. The stands looked pretty full until late in the 4th quarter from what I could see on TV.

Went down to the concession stand at half and there were people streaming through the exits, I yelled, "Best fans in college football," and people looked at me and then put their head down as they exited.

I'm very proud of you... That is what I would have done...

I agree, people should stick with the team, for those of you "protesting by leaving" you are not making a difference, convise the donors to talk or get the whole stadium to yell "fire pederson" or whoever but stick with the team no matter what. I hate how everyone is just giving up, I feel the pain to but come on.

I agree, people should stick with the team, for those of you "protesting by leaving" you are not making a difference, convise the donors to talk or get the whole stadium to yell "fire pederson" or whoever but stick with the team no matter what. I hate how everyone is just giving up, I feel the pain to but come on.

I was wondering if the "greatest college football fans on earth" still stood up, clapped and cheered at the end of the game for both teams like they used to. It was easy to do when Nebraska was on the other end of the asskickin' scores. I didn't make it to the game, but I highly doubt that this actually happened.

Well what do you guys(people complaining about people leaving at halftime) expect? Can you blame anyone for leaving? The fans are sending a message that this is not working and it is flat out embarassing. Who cares if people say we are fairweather fans because we know we are not and we are walking out because the performance on the field is not good enough and it's sickening to watch. Changes need to be made NOW!

GBR!!!!

I guess I am a fair weather fan. I have enough aggravation in my life that I have not listened to or watched Husker games much since the current head coach took over.

Frank Solich did not alienate me. He needed time to get things together much as Tom Osborne did when he first became head coach.

I have said since at least last year that the current AD and head coach need to be replaced.

I copied this from a signature from an earlier poster-

"Loyalty ALWAYS to Nebraska

Do YOUR part in keeping the tradition alive: Keep the Sell-Out streak alive

Discuss solutions to the problem reasonably"

Since being converted from a Sooner fan to a Husker fan voluntarily by attending my first Husker game as a student in the fall of 1976, I have been rooting for the Huskers - something the whole state can take pride in and have a common interest in and take with you if you leave the state as so many of us do.

Discuss solutions - first step is replacement of AD and head coach. Although it is bad, it is good the Huskers are getting smoked bad now because it will hasten this much needed change happening.

Pride, tradition, loyalty - I personally do not feel the folks in power bleed Husker red as much as many of the fans.

This is my first post here. I just stopped in to see if there finally is enough turmoil in Huskerland to bring about needed change.

BTW - Nebraska-Oklahoma 1978. I was in Memorial Stadium that day. I swear if I held a light bulb in my hand, it would have lit up. The fans made the difference that day. Emotions...... (Granted, Oklahoma got a second chance at us in the bowl game.)

Under current leadership, desire is lacking.....maybe in the players and fans.....but it is coming from the top.

College football success is more about desire and emotion than pro football, IMO.

Thanks for letting me vent. This situation is disgusting and unforgiveable and needs corrected and I am confident this will be the last year at Nebraska for the current AD and head coach.