New offense in making..

I honestly don't think running the option is the answer here. We have the kids now to run the WCO (at least that is what we are told). If we run an offense such as Meyer's or Zook's I will be happy. As fun as it was to watch NU line up and have the offensive line tell them what they were running and where it was going to run and the defense still could not stop it, the way the game is now, the Sooners, Floridas, Longhorns, etc... are just too fast for it now.

Just because you run the option doesn't mean you have to run it every play. The idea of a power running game is to use power AND speed to wear down your opponent. I still haven't seen a single good argument against the option/power running game. The "too fast" thing is just ridiculous in my opinion.

X

I absolutely concur, that's why I think the "Ground and Pound" offense is the way to go. We've got to base it all around the run. We've got the running back to make it happen I think. The thing that all this hinges on, is the O-line...

I honestly don't think running the option is the answer here. We have the kids now to run the WCO (at least that is what we are told). If we run an offense such as Meyer's or Zook's I will be happy. As fun as it was to watch NU line up and have the offensive line tell them what they were running and where it was going to run and the defense still could not stop it, the way the game is now, the Sooners, Floridas, Longhorns, etc... are just too fast for it now.

Just because you run the option doesn't mean you have to run it every play. The idea of a power running game is to use power AND speed to wear down your opponent. I still haven't seen a single good argument against the option/power running game. The "too fast" thing is just ridiculous in my opinion.

X

I dont agree that defenses are to fast for the option. It has nothing to do with it. As long as your guys are blocking properly and your QB can learn when to and when not to pitch, you should be able to run it on everyone. The best is when it gets going and the defense sells to the option run and then we run the option pass, thats when it is all over my friend.

I disagree somewhat.

You get a couple of linebackers and defensive ends that can run a 4.4 or better (And don't forget to teach them how to tackle). It's not that hard to stop as long as they trust each other and stick to their assignments.

(DE takes the QB/LB takes the pitchman in a 4/4 base Defense)..The 2nd and 3rd option, even as fast as we got to be in the '90s, still takes some time to develop..You usually have to spread the defense along the LOS and if there's a Will or Sam in your face when you start to make your cuts, you end up looking like Lucky trying to move through traffic.

Plus..Seemed like several teams were having luck toward the end by having 9 in the box. (Leaves them vulnerable, but as long as everyone pins their ears back, not much time to get rid of the ball).

Eventually, I'd love to see it again, but there's so much difference in the blocking schemes (firing out like Rimmington as opposed to trying to maintain your space and not get far enough down field to be called /illegal receiver).

If I was an opposing recruiter, I'd be going after our 2008 OL verbals trying to convince them Nebraska will go back to option only and will have limited use for their expertise (pass blocking).

Watch some of the videos of our OL recruits in one-on-one matchups at camp.

Wasn't Miami, FSU and Florida and Tennessee to fast for it then? With this offense you don't have to out recruit Oklahoma, Texas or SC, just get the key offensive and defensive skill spots and you are set! Get real! This "defenses are to fast now" stuff is BS, spoken by folks that know nothing of football! The option/read makes fast defenses hesitate, and play assignment football that's why undermanned service academies like USAFA and Navy can beat D1 schools and be successful, and why WV can come up and why Utah can go 12-0... These attack, attack, attack defenses can't do that vs the option! The spread keeps them from filling the box and presents the 3 vertical threat at all times. Combine this with the power I football and you have the revamped Osborne offense for the 21st century! 2001 Rose Bowl, NU was the victim of Solich's poor recruiting! Insert the 99 team and you have a much different game! It wasn't the scheme, it was the lack of talent in that game. No team was as consistant as NU from 62-97. all the other schools were up and down, but the old conservative team was always ranked and in the MNC hunt each year. You recruit for the NFL and you sink or swim on your top recruiting classes. Texas and SC both lost to unranked teams at home that are no where near the top 25, much less the top 5-10 where these two schools usually are in recruiting. I didn't see to many Stanfords or unranked KSU squads come to Lincoln and beat NU under Osborne and his low ranked recruiting classes! "Defenses are to fast..." BS!

So does the coaching inverview go something like this.

Tom Osborne to the coaching canididate "We are interested in having you be our new coach. but we have the following conditions. I am going to ""help"" design your offense that you will be running. you will be responsible for implementing it, in the way I want. You will have total responsibility for the football program, but you are not going to have the authority to run it like you wish. Any and all failures will be laid at your feet, while I will be there to bask in the victories when they come. And because you are the head FB coach all responsibility will land directly on you. What do you think................... are you interested?" :dunno

It sounds to me alot like a glorified assistant coaching position is what they are wanting to fill.