Back to the current football team

Grant Wistrom for assistant DC.

Yea, that's a good idea. You do realize he just started coaching HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL right?

You are just a beacon of sunshine in every post you make! Brighten my day every time!

I can never and will never understand why some people think former players will automatically be OMG TEH BEST COACH EVER1!! That idea by itself is just plain dumb IMO.

That being said there are MANY MANY good coaches the were former players. The idea that players can not be good coaches is also "just plain dumb"

If we get another non-husker coach, I think that tradition should be retired.

IMO I do not think we need to have another "husker" coach. I believe the "husker" leadership is important in the AD office and it would be better to get a QUALIFIED coach who will EMBRACE the tradition but not necessarily have to be a part of it. The tradition and having TO around will be great points to stress in recruiting that BC I don't believe does. If the "husker" coach you are thinking of is Gill I don't know if he is ready for a job of this magnitude. I think maybe 10 years down the line after he's been seasoned more at a bigger school he will be ready. Don't get me wrong, I know what he has done there at Buffalo I'm just wary a little bit.

I would have to agree. I don't think it's absolutely necessary that the next coach be a "Nebraska Guy". I think it IS necessary that whoever the coach is...even if it's BC...he CANNOT ignore Husker tradition (any longer in BC's case)...but rather should embrace it. Should actually make sure that all incoming Freshman are "taught" it. IMHO...these current players know nothing of the past. This "education" needs to be as important as the 8lb. playbook...

I don't think that it's necessary to get a Husker coach, either. It's just a tradition that is just becoming a brand name... people should start new ones when they come in.

Yea, that's a good idea. You do realize he just started coaching HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL right?

You are just a beacon of sunshine in every post you make! Brighten my day every time!

I can never and will never understand why some people think former players will automatically be OMG TEH BEST COACH EVER1!! That idea by itself is just plain dumb IMO.

That being said there are MANY MANY good coaches the were former players. The idea that players can not be good coaches is also "just plain dumb"

Coaching is a unique skill in and of itself, some players have it, some dont.

Read my post again. Player as coaches based ONLY on the fact that they were players is dumb.

Read my post again. Player as coaches based ONLY on the fact that they were players is dumb.

I'm not saying he should be a coach JUST because he was a player. I will admit that I was a little over excited by naming him DC, but I do think having him on the staff would be a good TRY at the very least. He was ONE of the best defensive players we ever had and a Pro Bowler at that. I certainly think he could be a defensive line coach. As far as being a high school coach, I think he would drop that in a heartbeat to bring the Blackshirt tradition back to Nebraska.

Read the post plenty and still don't agree. My point is many good coaches were former players that ONLY got there start from the fact they were successful players. They ONLY got there foot in the door from the succes on the feild and the leadership they showed there. If they would of showed up without there feild experiece they would been laughed out the door. See Josh Heupal, Ken Norton Jr. Major Applewhiite, Jim Harbaugh....the list can go on for a while.

I don't know why, but the "OMG/teh" makes me laugh every time.

I am certainly not against former players being coaches. But on that merit alone, someone shouldn't be hired to a position like DC, HC, OC or even a position coach really. I could see a position coach, maybe. Maybe.

The progression should be....

Former player --> Grad Assistant --> Position Coach --> Coordinator --> Head Coach, as the person shows the ability in each and every position.

Oh, and by the way, for all of you who seem to think a HS coach should be HC it is much the same....

HS Coach --> Grad Assistant --> Position Coach --> Coordinator --> Head Coach

DaveH is the wind beneth my wings!

and he's got a point. let's not just hand the keys over to someone who just started coaching. give him some time and some success. then we'll talk.

not to say i wouldn't want grant back with the team. i'm just saying not as a DC right off the bat.

DaveH is the wind beneth my wings!

and he's got a point. let's not just hand the keys over to someone who just started coaching. give him some time and some success. then we'll talk.

not to say i wouldn't want grant back with the team. i'm just saying not as a DC right off the bat.

lets bring him in as a grad assistant, and let him work with the DLine

im glad that they'er not wearing the blackshirts. But why did take so dam long for them to realize it. I would have stripped them of the blackshirts after the usc game. So now lets see if they play with any kind of fire and lets see who really wants to wear a blackshirts or are they just a bunch of girly men!

I am certainly not against former players being coaches. But on that merit alone, someone shouldn't be hired to a position like DC, HC, OC or even a position coach really. I could see a position coach, maybe. Maybe.

The progression should be....

Former player --> Grad Assistant --> Position Coach --> Coordinator --> Head Coach, as the person shows the ability in each and every position.

Oh, and by the way, for all of you who seem to think a HS coach should be HC it is much the same....

HS Coach --> Grad Assistant --> Position Coach --> Coordinator --> Head Coach

You don't move from H.S. Head Coach to being a Grad Assistant. Many have already done that job. More like they move to a position coach.

That's good because they don't deserve to wear them anyways. Hopefully they can pull together and maybe get a couple more wins. I would love for us to win the rest of our games and KU and Missery lose a few of their's so we may still be able to have hell freeze over and some how get to the Big XII Champ. game....................................What's that.........................excuse me reality is knocking at my door. :lol: