Why the demand for former Huskers?

I'm curious about the demand, almost certainty, that the next head coach be someone who once played or coached here? Doesn't it make more sense to look for the best possible person for the job rather than limit your choices so?

I'd be looking at places like Boise St, maybe Appalachian State, may the N.E Patriot offensive coordinator, etc, etc, etc. Stoops had no ties to OU, Pinkel no ties to Mizzou, Leavitt had no ties to South Florida. Why is everyone obsessed with either Gill or Pellini?

A Tiger fan wants to know...

(And I root for the Huskers when they're not playing Mizzou- and the volleyball team every match - even tonight.)

It's just the Nebraska way. Always look to family first, then go elsewhere, especially in light of what we are dealing with Callahan (an outside-the-family hire). I don't agree with it necessarily, I'd rather see someone who is qualified yet still respects the traditions we hold dear, but some people will never let go of the glory days of the 90's.

IMHO it would be nice, but not necessary. I think these sorts of "demands" are ridiculous. First, there is a big, big, big difference between being a successful college player and coach. Rarely is someone who is a national success at one, a similar success as the other. Steve Spurrier is the one exception. Go ahead, try and name another one....

For the people throwing out names from the past, I think it is mostly about nostalgia. People say, "Pick, X, he was a great QB!!!!" Well, being a great QB, or LB or lineman means nothing in terms of being a great coach. I would like to have a former husker or coach, because it would be more likely that person will have loyalty and stick with the program for a long time, but we all need to be realistic about the qualities that make a great coach.

And all of this is assuming that Callahan is about to leave, which I'm not certain about. I think Osborne might give him at least another year, but demand a change at defensive coordinator. And if that happens, I think next year could be a good year...

I agree with the mizzou fan, I dont think we should just be looking at the people with nebraska ties. We just need a coach who will embrace the past traditions of nebraska. Look at what stoops did, he wasnt tied in with OU but he embraced the past traditions and players and look where that has got him. We should be going after the best candidate regardless of where they came from, as long as we tell them up front that it is necessary to keep the traditions alive and if you see that its not you better do something to keep it alive. The blackshirts not being stripped tells right away tells me that the coaches didnt know how important those blackshirts really were, and obviously none of the players aside from bowman knew either. Didnt Pelini strip them within a short amount of time? That would tell me that he understands what is going on here.

A couple things to start:

First no one had ties to South Florida because Leavitt FOUNDED the program.

Second the Appalachian State coach Jerry Moore is a former Nebraska assistant football coach.

I have no problem with Nebraska bringing in a talented college coach such as Chris Peterson of Boise State. It has to be the right person.

Mea Culpa. I didn't check what Moore was doing 30 years ago. You got my drift though.

I'm curious about the demand, almost certainty, that the next head coach be someone who once played or coached here? Doesn't it make more sense to look for the best possible person for the job rather than limit your choices so?

I'd be looking at places like Boise St, maybe Appalachian State, may the N.E Patriot offensive coordinator, etc, etc, etc. Stoops had no ties to OU, Pinkel no ties to Mizzou, Leavitt had no ties to South Florida. Why is everyone obsessed with either Gill or Pellini?

(And I root for the Huskers when they're not playing Mizzou- and the volleyball team every match - even tonight.)

If you think Pinkel is a good coach, then I'm not laughing with you I'm laughing AT you! South Florida has no ties because like 11 or 12 years ago they didn't even have a football program. It's pretty hard to get someone with ties to your program when you didn't even have one!

OU took Stoops because he was the hottest coordinator out there. Who's the hottest coordinator out there this year? Bo Pelini would have to be at the top or very near the top of the list.

Pinkel is not a consistant winner! Stopps and Leavitt coached for Snyder at KSU. His assistants make pretty good coaches. NU fans want the consistancy of at least 9-10 wins and a top 15 ranking and their name to be mentioned in the MNC race every pre-season. They don't want to be occasional contenders and they think that TO knows the formula for success, which is a power running game, some option, multiple sets, great defense, walkon program and recruit to system, not to the NFL!

I have the same questions....

Both Gill and Pelini are fine coaches with 1 1/2 years experience as a head coach!!!!! If Callahan is indeed on his way out (I personally hope not right now anyway) this could be the most important hire ever for the University and you want to hire somone with either 1.5 years experience at a perennial doormate or a guy with NO head coaching experience?

Why is it necessary that they have head coaching experience. Sooner or later the great ones have to get their first head coaching job. I would love an up and comer that would come in here with life and energy and get this ball rolling again. I think Pelini can be that guy. He is young enthusiastic, energetic and passionate. Why not give him a chance? Callahan was a head coach before and nobody really likes how that is going right now.

Pinkel is not a consistant winner! Stopps and Leavitt coached for Snyder at KSU. His assistants make pretty good coaches. NU fans want the consistancy of at least 9-10 wins and a top 15 ranking and their name to be mentioned in the MNC race every pre-season. They don't want to be occasional contenders and they think that TO knows the formula for success, which is a power running game, some option, multiple sets, great defense, walkon program and recruit to system, not to the NFL!

I wasn't trying to say that Pinkel is a great coach (although it might turn out that way)... in fact I'm not completely satisfied with his first few years - but he and the program are progressing. I was giving examples of coaches in the conference or with Big 12 history who were hired without any prior history with the school or the program. And yea... everyone wants top 15 every season. Doesn't always happen though but for a handful of shools. And with scholarship restrictions, it get harder every year.

I think an in house guy is the way to go. Nebraska is a very unique situation. We want to win, but we want to win a certain way. The only people who seem to understand the way are guys from the family. Callahan took almost every single one of our traditions lit them on fire them pissed on the ashes. Now he is paying the price for not listening to what TO told him was important to the program and how to be successful at NU when he first got here.

We gave an out of house guy a chance, we listened to all of the nay sayers and scratched a way of doing things that worked for 42 years. Look where it got us. We basically jumped off a bridge because everyone told us too. Now it is time to go back and start all over and do things the way we want them done and the only people that understand that are guys from the family.

To sum it up, we have been burned and we are a little weary to turn the keys over to the ferrari to someone we dont trust. The only people we can trust is our own.

I hope we get the very best coach for the job, regardless of NU ties. Any ties to the Huskers would be a welome bonus, but not a prerequisite. JMHO