What Will TO Do?

to me if he wins 3 more games and keeps the rest competitive, he has earned the right to stay(esp if he wins the bowl game) that would be a best case senario really. we can replace coz, should be able to retain our recruits, and if cally doesnt win big next year we can get rid of him and keep his recruits.

that being said, I feel our basketball team has a better chance at making it to the final 4 then the above happening

It's sad for me to say this but I don't think that we'll win another game, not the way we've been playing on both sides of the ball. And if you say that we'll win 1-2 games within the next 6 weeks you're lying to yourself and other fans. We have a very very tough schedule remaining ahead of us. Our away games which are Texas, Kansas, and Colorado. And our two home games which is Texas AM and K-State. Please people we will not win another game and Bill's Era is over. Bring Back Bo!!!!

Did anybody pick up on this when TO said this "After the season is over i might not make coaching changes." WTF!!!!! If Callahan is still here come next season there is going to be a lot of pissed of Nebraska Fans and i'll be one of them. This is his 4th year and he was suppose to have a huge impact this year which he has but it's not a good impact. He's not the right coach for Nebraska so Bring Bo Back!!!!!

My worst fear is, not knowing much about Osborne, that he'll give Callahan another season. This entire insurrection of the fanbase is solely driven at one aim: booting Callahan and restoring in some measure our Husker tradition. If Tom can't do that, as much as I admire and trust him, I will probably look back on his appointment as a mistake. There's simply no way that we can keep Callahan. Let's pretend for a minute that Osborne's presence alone manages to fire up the team enough to win a couple more games (unlikely) and he's kept around for a few more years. The next question is, where does that leave us when Tom eventually leaves the AD job for one reason or another? We'd still be stuck with Callahan, and the downward slide would more than likely pick up right where it left off.

The best news that I can give anyone in this regard is that my assurance for Bill Callahan's inevitable firing comes from the on-field performance. I imagine AtM will demolish us this week, and both Kansas and KSU will get their shots. Maybe we'll take it to CU, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. And Texas? Pffft.

I say, let the losing continue until Callahan either resigns or indicates his resignation at the end of the season. Then, for all intents and purposes, I will once again welcome the winning with open arms. But I'm not willing to risk a single victory until I know Callahan and his worthless staff have been purged.

X

to me if he wins 3 more games and keeps the rest competitive, he has earned the right to stay(esp if he wins the bowl game) that would be a best case senario really. we can replace coz, should be able to retain our recruits, and if cally doesnt win big next year we can get rid of him and keep his recruits.

that being said, I feel our basketball team has a better chance at making it to the final 4 then the above happening

He is and should be gone at the end of the year at the latest. HE's never going to come close to getting it done here.

I'm not 100% sold on the fact that Callahan Doesn't deserve one more year. He has been bashed for being loyal to his friends... something many of those same bashers praise Osborne for and until this year we had seen marked improvement each year. I think the problems we have defensively are now catching up to us and are putting way too much pressure on the offense, causing them to severly underperform.

The Defensive staff with the exception of Wyatt and Busch need to go ASAP, but I'm not sure the offense - with maybe the exception of Wagner, needs to be changed at this point unless there is no improvement once the Defense is overhauled.

I'm not 100% sold on the fact that Callahan Doesn't deserve one more year. He has been bashed for being loyal to his friends... something many of those same bashers praise Osborne for and until this year we had seen marked improvement each year. I think the problems we have defensively are now catching up to us and are putting way too much pressure on the offense, causing them to severly underperform.

The Defensive staff with the exception of Wyatt and Busch need to go ASAP, but I'm not sure the offense - with maybe the exception of Wagner, needs to be changed at this point unless there is no improvement once the Defense is overhauled.

How quickly we forget why all this is happening. It isn't just Xs and Os, technique and fundamentals (although that's part of it). Callahan has failed in every imaginable way. You can try to blame assistants, blame the fans, blame Pederson, blame everyone––but at the end of the day Callahan cannot hire worthwhile assistants, call plays worth a sh#t, motivate his players, keep them from mutiny, or apparently even manage intense practices in full pads.

I don't know how much more convincing you few Callahan supporters need, but holy moley, man woman and child, just watch the game on Saturday if you need any more evidence.

X

TO said that he would be meeting with the coaching staff, but that he would not be looking over their shoulders. He also said he would attend practice if asked, or stay away if asked to do so...

What do you think BC will do in respect to this statement made by TO? :sarcasm

TO was at practice today. BC also said he met w/TO today and said it was a good visit. :-)

TO, Charlie McBride, and Milt Tenopir was there watching practice for a 1/2 hour. Don't read anything into this. CMB has been here for 3 days visiting TO and left today for Chicago for an awards ceremony. MT has visited before on occasion.

BTW It is against NCAA rules for anyone other than the ten coaches from consulting or assisting in any way to develop game plans.

I think the humiliating and ridiculous aspect of all this will be more than Coach Callahan can take. I sure hope so. A lot of guys with lesser egos than he would say piss on it, I'm not going to go through this anymore and simply step down.

If Osborne needs to be at Callahan's practices then Callahan shouldn't be the coach for one more day. To me, it's just that simple. I bet he can't wait to get the hell out of here. I mean think about it. He's in an untenable position. I think it demeans us all as it stands now.

any coach that does not want help from tom osborne is a fool who is so full of himself that he will never be a productive coach. I remember when I went with my dad to one of larry browns practices at KU. coach brown came up to my dad and asked him for coaching advise. larry brown.... asking an NAIA coach for advice. I have seen dana altman sit down and pick my dads brain for hours..... does that mean that my dad is a better coach and that they dont know what they are doing?? NO!! it means they they want to look at every angle, and do whatever they can to improve..... even if it means asking an NAIA coach.

TO is one of the greatest coaches ever. there isnt a coach alive that couldnt learn something from him

Very interesting post. You make some great points, especially your last sentence. Maybe Callahan will welcome any Osborne mentoring with an open mind and genuinely want to learn something, but somehow I doubt it.

So, everyone is speculating about what's going to happen to the coaches, what TO will do, and so on. Since the rumors are quickly getting tiresome for me, I'd like to know how people will react if Dr. Tom decides against what you think should happen regarding Callahan.

I don't care who you think the next permanent AD will be, who you think the next coach will be, why Callahan should stay/go, or anything like that. I want to know what you'll think if TO decides to do what you think shouldn't happen.

If you think Callahan should go, how will you react if Dr. Tom decides he should stay? Or if Callahan is dismissed and you thought he should stay, what will you think?

It's an interesting situation because very few had much faith in Pederson's decisions, but it's a whole different story for Osborne. How many of you will be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, even if his actions are contrary to what you strongly believe should happen?

I'll start and say I'm willing to give TO the benefit of the doubt, no matter what he ends up deciding. But it's easy for me to say that, as I'm on the fence regarding what should be done with Callahan.

Would you accept his decision as maybe being the right call if he did keep him, though? Or would you consider it a mistake by Osborne?

Edit - It's not really an easy thing to describe, I don't think I'm doing it very well. If he did keep him, would Osborne's reputation and (I assume) your faith in his knowledge/abilities sway you to think he may be right or would you see it as a mistake regardless?

I think he'll help bring in a lot of money from donors who haven't donated as much in past years. I don't think his coming to the AD spot will help the football team, but it might bring a new era of "openness" to the department.

Pederson had that place clamped shut like fort knox. I think access will be much better now, and after one day it looks like TO did more interviews than I can remember Pederson doing in a year.

if callahan stays i think that he needs to learn that this IS college football and NOT the pros. take away the paragraph long play calls and make them alot shorter. Make him go through a class to learn the rich tradition of nebraska football. Let him see what he has done to the program. I know that there a lot of other things that he would need to do but this is what i have right now. But if dosent stay then its simple all i would have to say is ADIOS

I think after Osborne makes his assessment of the current coaching staff at the end of the year we should support his decision. I might be in the minority but I believe that BC can do a great job here at NU, he just needs some TO perspective, lessons about Husker tradition and more time to climb the learning curve of college football. Have some patience with BC. While it is evident that he has lost the 5th year seniors the freshmen are the most motivated to succeed. While reading the OMH this morning Osborne has already taken positive steps to help BC realize what Husker tradition is really about.

Step #1. TO gave the OK to take the pictures of the football All-Americans out of storage. WTF!!! Stevie P. didn't think it was important to put the pictures of our former Husker greats on the walls of the north stadium project ???

Step #2. Osborne sent an e-mail on Wednesday to former players informing them that he was offering a limited supply of sideline passes to remaining games.

Step #3. He is going to expand the walk-on program.

:woo:woo:woo:woo

Every media outlet that is around says that there is all ready a search committee in place for a new coach. That and the offense that Calli runs is to be polite, not working. He will end up as an AC in the NFL again.

We need more balence and less gimmicks.

TO will find our man, have faith. Its just not Callahan IMO.