Callahan Will step down at end of season

http://www.journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php

follow link just a small hint at what is going on..... sounds like he will tneder resignation this week, that he will step down at the end of the year.......

Three reasons to cut the cord

Lots of rumblings about the possibility of Bill Callahan resigning, effective at the end of the season. Stay tuned.

Callahan said last week he wouldn't resign. But Big Red boosters with very deep pockets could help put together an offer (which far exceeds his buyout) he couldn't refuse. The money's there, if needed.

He wouldn't be quitting, because he would finish out the season.

By resigning now, it would:

1. Take pressure off the players, because it would remove the uncertainty surrounding the situation.

2. Allow Osborne and Company to begin in earnest the search for Callahan's successor.

3. Help minimize the wild scramble to salvage the 2008 recruiting class once the season ends.

I don't understand the thinking behind paying him more than his contract for him to resign after the season. Just fire him tomorrow morning or next week or when the final whistle blows at CU - whatever - and pay him what we are obligated to pay him in the current contract. Announcing his intention to step down at the end of the season isn't any more beneficial than telling him to sod off tomorrow and appointing an interim HC.

If Callahan was a Man he would just resign. Why continue on and keep pulling this program down with him? I would respect him much much more if he just said he understood things weren't working out like he would have liked and he thinks it would be better for him and the program if he were to step down.

A Coach can be at one program and just not have any success for many reasons I won't list here, but he may a great fit somewhere else. Callahan and Nebraska are just not going to work, but I'm sure there is a school out there he would do great at.

I don't understand the thinking behind paying him more than his contract for him to resign after the season. Just fire him tomorrow morning or next week or when the final whistle blows at CU - whatever - and pay him what we are obligated to pay him in the current contract. Announcing his intention to step down at the end of the season isn't any more beneficial than telling him to sod off tomorrow and appointing an interim HC.

I believe they would offer up more monay as an incentive to resign early (as in before the end of the season). Is how the rest of you understood it?

I believe they would offer up more monay as an incentive to resign early (as in before the end of the season). Is how the rest of you understood it?

I think that's the only thing it can mean, but that's not how it was worded. My guess is just a poor choice of wording on that part.

That's how I read it, and what I said in the last sentence of my post (although perhaps not as clearly as I could have :)), I just don't understand the value in it. Keeping him around doesn't benefit anyone at all, in my opinion. If that's the case, then pull the trigger now, pay him what we owe him and let an interim HC handle business. If we don't want to do anything for another 5 weeks, that's fine too - I don't think it really matters. Everyone knows that he's gone at the end of the season. TO is still able to actively search for a replacement whether BC is at the helm or not. It just seems like a daft move to pay this loser even more cash just to tell everyone what we already know - that he won't be here after the CU game.