New Head Coach? THREADS - ALL OF THEM

I've heard alot of people say that Paul Johnson would be a great head coach at Nebraska. I am just wondering...would Paul Johnson would leave Navy if got offered the head job at NU?

Great question. It is, of course, impossible to answer. That said, our best shot is at a great coach (and he is that) that is not currently either well known or at a great program. Expecting coaches from LSU, Georgia, Boise State or any of another 30 -35 programs, all of which are superior to the NU program (at the moment) is unlikely. Why take a step down? But perhaps the best coach out there is Johnson and he is at a program, that while on the rise and solid, is no better than the NU program. Perhaps he would see it as a temporary lateral move (likely for more money) with a greater potential future upside.

Maybe we have a shot at this guy. If so, do backflips of joy. He is a great coach (I know of him well from his Georgia Southern days --- great man, excellent motivator, endlessly inventive --- we could, literally, do no better).

Thanks for that uplifting review of the Nebraska Athletic Program... We could get a coach from just about ANY school, with contracts being a catching point, with TO in the AD seat. Schools like NU, USC, The Ohio State U, Alabama, OU and Texas are DREAM JOBs. You think a coach at Boise State wouldn't give his left nut to coach at Nebraska? You think Bo wouldn't leave a DC position at LSU to be HC at Nebraska. In my opinion, you are incorrect.

:wacko:

Oh. And NU is not generally a dream job. I'd see at least 20 - 30 other potential positions as being equal to or better. My friend, NU is essentially # 10 in the Big 12 currently. It is a program that will be ca. 3 games over .500 over the past four years. It is a program that has not competed on the national stage, really, in a half dozen years. They ran out a coach winning nearly 75% of his games and will shortly and rather loudly ran out the current coach (whether these were reasonable actions or not, this is a high expectation place with a recent history of failure).

Historically, NU is one of the top 3 or 4 programs in college football history. In the modern era --- say 1970 - now, perhaps NU is, overall, #1 or 2. But recently (say post-Osbourne), and the prediction of the immediate future, NU is not a major football program.

NU is no more a dream job than is Auburn, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Tennessee, Alabama, UCLA, Washington, Wisconsin, Penn State, Miami, Florida State, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oregon, Boston College, and a dozen others. NU is well below, LSU, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, oddly enough Notre Dame (although this I cannot understand), Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, etc.

Dream job? Hardly. Good job? Sure. Challenging job with monster expectation and a short leash? YES!!!!

This team needs a fiery defensive head coach not an O coordinator. Shawn Watson or whoever else they call in to be the OC will be fine. TO knows that this team lacks fire and we all know that defensive coaches are the ones who bring the pain. Lets get someone in who brings a physical presence, the offense will just feed off that. Bo Pelini for Head Coach!!

So that's why we sucked in the 90's. :sarcasm

I've heard alot of people say that Paul Johnson would be a great head coach at Nebraska. I am just wondering...would Paul Johnson would leave Navy if got offered the head job at NU?

Great question. It is, of course, impossible to answer. That said, our best shot is at a great coach (and he is that) that is not currently either well known or at a great program. Expecting coaches from LSU, Georgia, Boise State or any of another 30 -35 programs, all of which are superior to the NU program (at the moment) is unlikely. Why take a step down? But perhaps the best coach out there is Johnson and he is at a program, that while on the rise and solid, is no better than the NU program. Perhaps he would see it as a temporary lateral move (likely for more money) with a greater potential future upside.

Maybe we have a shot at this guy. If so, do backflips of joy. He is a great coach (I know of him well from his Georgia Southern days --- great man, excellent motivator, endlessly inventive --- we could, literally, do no better).

Thanks for that uplifting review of the Nebraska Athletic Program... We could get a coach from just about ANY school, with contracts being a catching point, with TO in the AD seat. Schools like NU, USC, The Ohio State U, Alabama, OU and Texas are DREAM JOBs. You think a coach at Boise State wouldn't give his left nut to coach at Nebraska? You think Bo wouldn't leave a DC position at LSU to be HC at Nebraska. In my opinion, you are incorrect.

Peterson at BSU would not leave BSU for NU. That program has won 90% of its games over the past 5 years, has the best winning percentage in the nation (I think) over that time (if not it is top 3), is on TV now as the feature team 4 or more times a year, and that program is on fire. He is the toast of town --- he is in a wonderful location within the country, etc. He, if he leaves, will go to a major program. So he will sit tight and wait on only a real jewel of a job. That said, of course I could be wrong. Hawkins left there for CU whose program was no better when he took over than is NU's is now (comparable anyway)). So you could be right. I'd not hold my breath though.

As for Pelini. I think he too can afford to wait for a better option.

The NU position has a lot of downside to it --- and a lot of upside too. That is, it is very risky. Established coaches typically need not take such risks. Though some thrive on it. You just never know.

Time will tell. And, perhaps TO will help.

Have you ever been to Boise, Idaho? I have been there and spent some time there. I'm still trying to figure out why you think he is in a wonderful location. Boise State is good and all, but let's get real: they're not the Huskers.

All top programs have huge risks. The riskiest of all would have to be Notre Dame. However, look at Miami. They fired Coker even though he won one NC and was inches from winning 2 there in like 5 years. Alabama is another big time program with huge risk. Look at Florida, OU, etc. All major college programs come with huge risks. If you go to one of them, you had better put up or pack up.

Nebraska is not a recruiting hotbed. However, we have no other major sport team to compete with. This means all support is focused on the football team in terms of fan support and monetary support. I know I'm biased, but I think the upsides far outweigh the downsides of the job.

Pharoah are you developing a amncrush???

I hope not, and if I am, is there some medication I can take for it! :blink:

And anyone associated with BYU...that's tough for a grad of the 'U' to accept.

so you are a UTE alumn?

I am -- hence my passion for the sproption game that Meyer ran at Utah :woo

So gotta watch out for the BYU guys -- though it is not like this is the HC job at Utah -- hiring him there would be like a :nutz

:)

This team needs a fiery defensive head coach not an O coordinator. Shawn Watson or whoever else they call in to be the OC will be fine. TO knows that this team lacks fire and we all know that defensive coaches are the ones who bring the pain. Lets get someone in who brings a physical presence, the offense will just feed off that. Bo Pelini for Head Coach!!

So that's why we sucked in the 90's. :sarcasm

The 90's team also knew how to play with fire!! This team now has absolutely no leadership and it shows. The 90's team had the Peter's, Tomich, Farley, Wistrom, Williams, Miles, Frazier, Wiegert, Schlesinger, Berringer, Minter, and McFarlin; all who knew how to fire the team up. They didn't need a coach in order to be focused. The team now is a different story. That's why we need a fiery coach.

Is our program at the point where we need to be the testing ground for "possible" future great coaches. The guy may know qb's and offense, but can he lead. Sound like right now he has all of the same qualifications Callahan had when hired.

I am afraid that the answer to your question is probably yes --- NU likely cannot attract a proven, name-recognition coach at this point. That is not to say that they cannot get a great coach. I hope, and actually think we will. But, I'd guess that we will find a sleeper, proven at a certain level, but not well-known, or a young up-and-comer who is looking to establish himself. there are plenty of great people out there. Again, for me, that sleeper (one of the top 10 records of HC's) is Paul Johnson. Not saying we will get him --- I certainly have no inside info --- but while we are playing the "who do we get game?" I would like to see him.

Peterson at BSU would not leave BSU for NU. That program has won 90% of its games over the past 5 years, has the best winning percentage in the nation (I think) over that time (if not it is top 3), is on TV now as the feature team 4 or more times a year, and that program is on fire. He is the toast of town --- he is in a wonderful location within the country, etc. He, if he leaves, will go to a major program. So he will sit tight and wait on only a real jewel of a job. That said, of course I could be wrong. Hawkins left there for CU whose program was no better when he took over than is NU's is now (comparable anyway)). So you could be right. I'd not hold my breath though.

As for Pelini. I think he too can afford to wait for a better option.

The NU position has a lot of downside to it --- and a lot of upside too. That is, it is very risky. Established coaches typically need not take such risks. Though some thrive on it. You just never know.

Time will tell. And, perhaps TO will help.

Have you ever been to Boise, Idaho? I have been there and spent some time there. I'm still trying to figure out why you think he is in a wonderful location. Boise State is good and all, but let's get real: they're not the Huskers.

All top programs have huge risks. The riskiest of all would have to be Notre Dame. However, look at Miami. They fired Coker even though he won one NC and was inches from winning 2 there in like 5 years. Alabama is another big time program with huge risk. Look at Florida, OU, etc. All major college programs come with huge risks. If you go to one of them, you had better put up or pack up.

Nebraska is not a recruiting hotbed. However, we have no other major sport team to compete with. This means all support is focused on the football team in terms of fan support and monetary support. I know I'm biased, but I think the upsides far outweigh the downsides of the job.

Junior:

I actually live there. World class mountain biking, mountain climbing, cross country skiing, incredible kayaking, proximity to the most beutiful wilderness area in the lower 48, Sun Valley, Yellowstone, the Tetons --- it is outdoor heaven. And Boise is the among the five fastest growing communities in America and has four consecutive times been a top 3 most livable area in the country. It actually is a truly outstanding place.

It has a strong economy, good schools, great weather.

that said, I loved Lincoln too. very special people, great clean and friendly city. No disrespect to Lincoln at all --- I love the place. Boise is as well a great place. And if you are a avid outdoorsman, wow... perhaps few, if any, are better than Boise.

To the point --- Peterson here is the big fish. That is a good feeling for most and most do not walk away from that easily.

I do as well agree that other places like Miami is a high risk place as well. but NU is right up there.

I wasn't stomping on Boise. My point is that most football players don't really like the cold. I'm not sure of many/any having condos and such around Aspen. Most good college football players aren't really avid outdoor enthusiasts either. Peterson may be a big fish there, but just imagine to what size he would grow as HC of NU. A successful coach at NU is all but viewed like a God here with a much larger fanbase than Boise State.

I am currently a graduate student at the University of Georgia (did Undergrad here as well) and Coach Richt has been the head coach during my entire tenure here. Yeah, we've won two SEC Championship games, been to 2 BCS bowl games, and went to another SEC Championship game, but Richt is not for Nebraska. People here like that Richt wins a lot, but they like even more that he is an outspoken evangelical. The culture in Nebraska is not exactly the same as in the Bible Belt South, therefore, I don't think a lot of his preaching would be work the same on the Husker nation. Second, as much as Richt preaches that he is a father figure to our players and tries to teach Christian values (he refuses to let condoms be handed out to football players) I see a Mo Purify incident in downtown Athens involving football players at least twice a semester (thats only what I see). Richt has little control over his players, probably skills he learned at FSU as a coach and Miami as a player. Third, as much as I love Georgia, we are turning into another pre-2005 Texas. Great talent, little production (hell we've beaten Florida once in Richt's 6 years and this weekend isn't looking much better). Although I see very little chance of Richt leaving UGA for Nebraska, I really just wanted to address why this would be a terrible decision for the Big Red Machine. Richt is consistent, but conisistently above-average, not excellent and the program would be more overrun with thugs than the program that Callahan is in the process of creating.

Tom

I am currently a graduate student at the University of Georgia (did Undergrad here as well) and Coach Richt has been the head coach during my entire tenure here. Yeah, we've won two SEC Championship games, been to 2 BCS bowl games, and went to another SEC Championship game, but Richt is not for Nebraska. People here like that Richt wins a lot, but they like even more that he is an outspoken evangelical. The culture in Nebraska is not exactly the same as in the Bible Belt South, therefore, I don't think a lot of his preaching would be work the same on the Husker nation. Second, as much as Richt preaches that he is a father figure to our players and tries to teach Christian values (he refuses to let condoms be handed out to football players) I see a Mo Purify incident in downtown Athens involving football players at least twice a semester (thats only what I see). Richt has little control over his players, probably skills he learned at FSU as a coach and Miami as a player. Third, as much as I love Georgia, we are turning into another pre-2005 Texas. Great talent, little production (hell we've beaten Florida once in Richt's 6 years and this weekend isn't looking much better). Although I see very little chance of Richt leaving UGA for Nebraska, I really just wanted to address why this would be a terrible decision for the Big Red Machine. Richt is consistent, but conisistently above-average, not excellent and the program would be more overrun with thugs than the program that Callahan is in the process of creating.

Tom

Thanks for the insight! Appreciate it