New Head Coach? THREADS - ALL OF THEM

I've heard alot of people say that Paul Johnson would be a great head coach at Nebraska. I am just wondering...would Paul Johnson would leave Navy if got offered the head job at NU?

Great question. It is, of course, impossible to answer. That said, our best shot is at a great coach (and he is that) that is not currently either well known or at a great program. Expecting coaches from LSU, Georgia, Boise State or any of another 30 -35 programs, all of which are superior to the NU program (at the moment) is unlikely. Why take a step down? But perhaps the best coach out there is Johnson and he is at a program, that while on the rise and solid, is no better than the NU program. Perhaps he would see it as a temporary lateral move (likely for more money) with a greater potential future upside.

Maybe we have a shot at this guy. If so, do backflips of joy. He is a great coach (I know of him well from his Georgia Southern days --- great man, excellent motivator, endlessly inventive --- we could, literally, do no better).

the interview would go like this...

TO: do you like the option?

PJ: i love the option.

TO: do you like the power running game.

PJ: i love the power running game.

TO: oh my dear lord. i have found my long lost brother.

PJ: hurray.

TO: welcome to nebraska.

PJ: there is no place like nebraska.

three years and three NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS later...

TO: i am glad i made the right decision.

PJ: as am i. go big red.

TO: indeed. go big red.

It's hard to guess what anyone is thinking.

He certainly is an intriging candidate.

In addition to Navy, I guess he was at Hawaii too and has a few passing plays in his pocket.

Johnson was at Hawaii as OC 1987-1994 and they were more of a rushing team and were in top 20 for national stats for scoring offense, total offense, and rushing offense 6 of his eight years there.

Hawaii didn't go pass happy under June Jones until 1998.

Guy is what -- 33...not sure he ready for a HC position at a top tier college yet.

Yeah, but how old is the HC for the Pittsburgh Steelers? Age is relative. Pelini is only 7 years his senior. Some/a lot of people wanted him as our HC 4 years ago which would have only made him 36.

Understand, but I also read that people where dismissing Major Applewhite because he is only 30. Now three years can make a difference, but usually a coach that young starts at a mid-major doesn't he?

the interview would go like this...

TO: do you like the option?

PJ: i love the option.

TO: do you like the power running game.

PJ: i love the power running game.

TO: oh my dear lord. i have found my long lost brother.

PJ: hurray.

TO: welcome to nebraska.

PJ: there is no place like nebraska.

three years and three NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS later...

TO: i am glad i made the right decision.

PJ: as am i. go big red.

TO: indeed. go big red.

Hack you have the makings of a made for t.v. movie!