Great fans my a$$

HANC

Wait a minute..Val's Pizza is worse then Pizza Hut?

What happened since I've been gone?

How long have you been gone? Val’s has been mediocre at best for a LONG time.

They really started going downhill when they sold their souls to the buffet model. Everything became huge fluffy breadsticks and overcooked, soft pasta. It’s all bread and crap pasta now, with little or no sauce, and NONE of the love they used to put in their food.

What sickens me is going into Val’s on Holdrege and seeing all the pictures on the wall, and seeing how they hang their hat on the tradition of Val and Zena (sorry if I misspelled those), when they couldn’t be further from what Valentino’s used to be back in the day.

I started going to Val’s when I was four or five, back in the 70s when my folks used to take us to the State Fair. Every single year we would go look at the fair, then eat dinner at Val’s by East Campus. The food was excellent, way better than it is today.

Heck, back in the 60s when my dad was going to Midland College, he and his roommate would drive down to Lincoln, pick up 15-20 pizzas, drive them back up to Fremont and sell them on campus out of the car. And when people knew they had Val’s pizza, they’d come running across campus to get one.

It’s just not like that now. The pizza isn’t nearly as good, and the pasta is… horrendous. I’m sorry, but there’s just no other way to put it.

another im better than everyone else thread...all u awesome fans should get 2gether and go to the games and be positive about everything

I know, it makes me sick to my stomach too.

It would be far better to have these self proclaiming "awesome" fans have their own section. I can see them now...yet another NU massive blowout loss and they're up there singing "Cum-By-Ya" the whole 2nd half as the regular fans have left with huge disgust.

I don't think the problem is with fans leaving. The problem is with booing, yelling, and doing other things that make us play even worse! I'm not going to preach about these poor kids, or tell anyone about their responsibilities as a fan, but practically speaking, if you're at a game doing something to make our team play *worse*, how can you really call yourself a fan.

Ok soo a few fans have a little too much to drink and let out frustration big deal.. Theses players are getting to go to school for free and play at Nebraska.. They need to shut the hell up and play football, if a player plays is a$$ off every down every game no fan is going to put them down at all.. What we all saw Saturday is a team that wasn't giving its all for the last 6 games or whatever and they went on the road an played the way they should have every week.. The fans spend there hard earned money for tickets to watch these guys play we deserve to see them win an play there best.. Everyone that wants to whine about a couple fans getting frustrated during a game can get in one big circle jerk cry all they want to each other, cause its getting old.. I understand everyone can have there own opinion but come on instead of uniting around the state you are now turning on other fans cause you think we should baby these kids!!!!! Dont think the 97 team or anyother past classes would care for one an two would be the first to say we deserve it!!!

Drinking, gambling and losing, are leading to frustrated fans(?) that will hurt our recruiting efforts. You don't think every recruiting coordinator has these quotes about these dickheads in their briefcase when they visit?

What are these dopeheads thinking yelling at student athletes?

Out of curiousity, I cruised the Texas board and didn't see one complaint about fans yelling at the players to take the longhorn off their helmet or they suck after being down to NU at half! Yes, there was obviously some booing at the game but it was directed to Coach Brown who is on the hotseat in Austin. You don't lose to OU AND KSU w/o getting some heat.

What high school do you go to if you are defending the kids yelling this stuff to our players?

Oh, and BTW, if these insults were hurled at players as they left the stadium, I walked by the exit and saw a lot of dads with their sons/daughters looking for autographs...I'll take the players over the 'girlie boys' yelling the insults as roll models for my kids.

These guys are worse than the Mizzou fans that stormed the field and got clocked when their fans stormed the field. At least our players show physical restraint after learning hard lessons.

Just stop it and get the message to your buddies if you know the individuals involved. Stop defending this abysmal behavior.

I think maybe Purify was embellishing on what he heard. If it was as bad as he says it was, then I don't know why in his right mind the #1 rated Juco player in the country Simi Kuli, decided to commit to Nebraska w/jerk a$$ fans yelling that type of garbage at the players. Why would he want to be a part of that crap? :-( He wouldn't. That's why I question Purify's recollection of the events. :)

Kuli's been thinking about this for a long time, I hardly think fans yelling from behind the bench would have impacted his decision considering all the other factors he has to weigh.

I have a better question. Why in the world would Purify make this up? Or is this the whole BC conspiracy to get players to blame the fans nonsense? Give me a break.

Ok soo a few fans have a little too much to drink and let out frustration big deal.. Theses players are getting to go to school for free and play at Nebraska.. They need to shut the hell up and play football, if a player plays is a$$ off every down every game no fan is going to put them down at all.. What we all saw Saturday is a team that wasn't giving its all for the last 6 games or whatever and they went on the road an played the way they should have every week.. The fans spend there hard earned money for tickets to watch these guys play we deserve to see them win an play there best.. Everyone that wants to whine about a couple fans getting frustrated during a game can get in one big circle jerk cry all they want to each other, cause its getting old.. I understand everyone can have there own opinion but come on instead of uniting around the state you are now turning on other fans cause you think we should baby these kids!!!!! Dont think the 97 team or anyother past classes would care for one an two would be the first to say we deserve it!!!

Drinking, gambling and losing, are leading to frustrated fans(?) that will hurt our recruiting efforts. You don't think every recruiting coordinator has these quotes about these dickheads in their briefcase when they visit?

Out of curiousity, I cruised the Texas board and didn't see one complaint about fans yelling at the players to take the longhorn off their helmet or they suck after being down to NU at half! Yes, there was obviously some booing at the game but it was directed to Coach Brown who is on the hotseat in Austin. You don't lose to OU AND KSU w/o getting some heat.

What high school do you go to if you are defending the kids yelling this stuff to our players?

Oh, and BTW, if these insults were hurled at players as they left the stadium, I walked by the exit and saw a lot of dads with their sons/daughters looking for autographs...I'll take the players over the 'girlie boys' yelling the insults as roll models for my kids.

These guys are worse than the Mizzou fans that stormed the field and got clocked when their fans stormed the field. At least our players show physical restraint after learning hard lessons.

Just stop it and get the message to your buddies if you know the individuals involved. Stop defending this abysmal behavior.

I think maybe Purify was embellishing on what he heard. If it was as bad as he says it was, then I don't know why in his right mind the #1 rated Juco player in the country Simi Kuli, decided to commit to Nebraska w/jerk a$$ fans yelling that type of garbage at the players. Why would he want to be a part of that crap? :-( He wouldn't. That's why I question Purify's recollection of the events. :)

Kuli's been thinking about this for a long time, I hardly think fans yelling from behind the bench would have impacted his decision considering all the other factors he has to weigh.

I have a better question. Why in the world would Purify make this up? Or is this the whole BC conspiracy to get players to blame the fans nonsense? Give me a break.

I never alluded that he's making it up. I'm sure there was a fan or 2 that spouting of obscenities at him etc. However I doubt it was as bad as MO has made it out to be. According to him I took it as there were many fans behind the bench yelling and screaming at the players. My point was this: if there was a bunch of fans (let's say for argument's sake that's 20+) then more players would have heard all this crap going on instead of MO and Bowman.

Not to mention that if these fans were spouting off at the mouth like this I'm sure the visiting recruits, ie. Kuli and Johnson, etc, would've either heard the commotion going on or would've been told that this was happened. Neither mentioned anything of the sort. leads me to believe it was a drunk student or 2 mouthing off to MO. Having seen or at least hearing this, if I was a recruit it would make me stop and reconsider giving my verbal to this particular university if a large majority of fans are going to act like this. This is why I think it as a couple fans and not a whole bunch. If that's the case then Kuli and other's can write it off as there are a couple jerks in every crowd, instead of there's a mob of jerks, let's get the heck out here. :)

All I can add is if it was even one d******d yelling this crap it made national boards, talk shows, and every recruiting coordinator across the country has this in his briefcase if he's recruiting some stud against us when in the homes with his parents.

Throw the bones at these drunks/derelicks if you ever witness it in futue.

Maybe because he didn't want to talk about the football team that at the time was on a four game losing streak and wanted to shift focus to "teh horribel fans!" Cause it's all OUR fault... Just playing devil's advocate.

Wait a minute..Val's Pizza is worse then Pizza Hut?

What happened since I've been gone?

How long have you been gone? Val’s has been mediocre at best for a LONG time.

They really started going downhill when they sold their souls to the buffet model. Everything became huge fluffy breadsticks and overcooked, soft pasta. It’s all bread and crap pasta now, with little or no sauce, and NONE of the love they used to put in their food.

What sickens me is going into Val’s on Holdrege and seeing all the pictures on the wall, and seeing how they hang their hat on the tradition of Val and Zena (sorry if I misspelled those), when they couldn’t be further from what Valentino’s used to be back in the day.

I started going to Val’s when I was four or five, back in the 70s when my folks used to take us to the State Fair. Every single year we would go look at the fair, then eat dinner at Val’s by East Campus. The food was excellent, way better than it is today.

Heck, back in the 60s when my dad was going to Midland College, he and his roommate would drive down to Lincoln, pick up 15-20 pizzas, drive them back up to Fremont and sell them on campus out of the car. And when people knew they had Val’s pizza, they’d come running across campus to get one.

It’s just not like that now. The pizza isn’t nearly as good, and the pasta is… horrendous. I’m sorry, but there’s just no other way to put it.

Yeah..But worse than the Hut?

The sauce was so bad I had to order it w/o sauce and add ketchup at the Pizza Hut (the only pizza joint in my hometown).

Back in the late '70s, anytime a family member was coming home from Lincoln or going to Lincoln, it was an unwritten rule we had to get mass quantities of half-baked pizzas with the mysterious spice (fennel, I believe).

I guess I did notice the quality dropping when they opened a Val's in Kearney (30 miles away), but I can't imagine getting through UNL without Val's Pizza Buffet on Sundays with a gurney ride out to my car afterwards.

I should've known something was wrong when they opened up a Godfathers in Awatukee after I 1st moved out here in the early '90s. (it was fun seeing all the Omaha liscense plates though).

I never alluded that he's making it up. I'm sure there was a fan or 2 that spouting of obscenities at him etc. However I doubt it was as bad as MO has made it out to be. According to him I took it as there were many fans behind the bench yelling and screaming at the players. My point was this: if there was a bunch of fans (let's say for argument's sake that's 20+) then more players would have heard all this crap going on instead of MO and Bowman.

Not to mention that if these fans were spouting off at the mouth like this I'm sure the visiting recruits, ie. Kuli and Johnson, etc, would've either heard the commotion going on or would've been told that this was happened. Neither mentioned anything of the sort. leads me to believe it was a drunk student or 2 mouthing off to MO. Having seen or at least hearing this, if I was a recruit it would make me stop and reconsider giving my verbal to this particular university if a large majority of fans are going to act like this. This is why I think it as a couple fans and not a whole bunch. If that's the case then Kuli and other's can write it off as there are a couple jerks in every crowd, instead of there's a mob of jerks, let's get the heck out here. :)

I agree with pretty much everything you said. That it was probably only a handful of people with a handful of comments, and that Kuli wrote it off as a few bad apples.

But, I never got the impression from MO or Bowman it was any more than that. Certainly didn't get the impression it was a mob.

Maybe because he didn't want to talk about the football team that at the time was on a four game losing streak and wanted to shift focus to "teh horribel fans!" Cause it's all OUR fault... Just playing devil's advocate.

Yeah, I'm sure there was an element of wanting to lash out at someone after being embarrassed like that. But its understandable when you get humiliated on the field and have to come back to your own sideline to hear your own fans telling you you suck, even if it is only a few bad apples.

Honestly, it's tough to classify 85,000+ people into any one group. Good fans, bad fans, rich fans, poor fans, etc. etc.- honestly I don't put any stock of my identity into a fanbase. It's way too huge and diverse for any generalizations like that. Anyone who says something like "NU has the best fans" or "CU has the worst fans" or anything similar is just blowing smoke. Even if 20,000 CU fans or NU fans were a$$hole$, you can't just say that their fan base at large is terrible. Most fans at every stadium are cordial enough.

I'm tired of people saying what is a good fan and what is a bad fan. Who cares? To me, fandom is an individual thing- you like a team so you root for them and want them to do well- the end. Questioning a staff or a team's direction or being critical of a player or anything else does not make you a bad fan. Do you want NU to do well? If so, then you're a fan. Let's not try to classify all people into one of two arbitrary "good fan" and "bad fan" camps.

That being said, if you want your team to do well you're better off cheering than booing. The only booing I've ever done at Memorial Stadium is anytime the refs make a questionable call that affects NU in a bad way, but I think that's obligatory for the home fans at any sporting event.

First off I'm a man but younger than 40 and not a father, a father of children. I think it's horrible that fans are disrespecting the team, no one wants to be told they suck even if they do . Coaching is the foundation but at the end talent gets you over the hump. Face it guys we don't have the players, coaches, or chemistry to compete but our stadium is nice.