If Callahan makes changes

If Callahan fires Coz, Elmo, and possibly Wags at the end of the season, would you be willing to give him more time.

Everyone agrees that the defense has not been very good since the current staff has been here, and is the majority of the problems with this team. Also the O-Line hasnt really been that great either.

I personally feel that if he were to make some changes, I would give him some more time.

However if he refuses to get rid of Coz then he would have to go, because he is the HC and is responsible for the success or failures of the team. and if he cannot see that Coz is the problem then he needs to go

If, BIG IF, Callahan is allowed to stay those are the exact coaches that need to go. I don't see it happening however.

If Callahan fires Coz, Elmo, and possibly Wags at the end of the season, would you be willing to give him more time.

Everyone agrees that the defense has not been very good since the current staff has been here, and is the majority of the problems with this team. Also the O-Line hasnt really been that great either.

I personally feel that if he were to make some changes, I would give him some more time.

However if he refuses to get rid of Coz then he would have to go, because he is the HC and is responsible for the success or failures of the team. and if he cannot see that Coz is the problem then he needs to go

NO!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, in the small chance BC would stay, He would have to fire the defensive staff. There is NO excuse for being DEAD LAST in rush defense. It is unacceptable and should not be tolerated. Cally is partially to blame for the defense (or lack there of). He needs to go.......

NO!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, in the small chance BC would stay, He would have to fire the defensive staff. There is NO excuse for being DEAD LAST in rush defense. It is unacceptable and should not be tolerated. Cally is partially to blame for the defense (or lack there of). He needs to go.......

Billy C can't be trusted to hire another Defensive staff. He'd probably re-hire Coz shortly after firing him. He has to go. No other choice but to let him go. :)

I would say he's gone anyway. I suspect at least part of his mediocrity as a HC can be attributed to Pedey's meddling in the program, but still...Cally's been coaching fo 30+ years.....some of which was collegiate. With that much experience, he should know enough to be able to put together a damned good ball club with all the resources he had at his disposal here even if the occaisional conference championships were the best he ever achieved.

To be playing THIS poorly in your fourth year.... I think I agree with the post that said he just isn't HC material. Let him go back to the NFL as an OC or position coach. The can have him.

I would call it a lack of patience. The same lack of patience shown to Frank. And the same model of management ND seems to be using. It's sure working well for them.

Personally, I probably WOULD'VE been alright giving Frank 10-15 seasons to win it all because he played for us and was sorta like "Family".

Callahan would've been murdered long before stumbling on a freak season where we might have gone past the 2nd round of the playoffs if the Bowl System was gone by the 20 or so years it would've taken him to turn this thing around.

I'm all for patience, but I also don't see any potential in his coaching abilities past, present or judging by his inability to overcome his ego...future.

The rest of the world (including the coaching community) sees it, why can't you?

I would call it a lack of patience. The same lack of patience shown to Frank. And the same model of management ND seems to be using. It's sure working well for them.

Frank was slipping to mediocrity. Bill has slipped to hilarity. He has completely lost it.

Man, I hate to say it...but was 2003's season really mediocre?

If you remember, after the 2002 season, it was alleged that Stevie Pedey gave Frank Solich an ultimatum. This ultimatum was "make SIGNIFICANT changes, or else."

We brought in Pelini. We made significant strides...especially defensively.

I don't know if the option offense would've continued to be the NU offense/solution. All I can say is this: going from 7-7 (2002) to 10-3 (2003) is a SIGNIFICANT improvement to me.

Frank Solich should have been allowed, at least, one more year. Our program slipped into "mediocrity" for ONE year (2002).

I hate hearing that argument. Since Solich, we've been mediocre 3 out of 4 years under Callahan.

Perhaps too many people are using Pederson's definition of mediocrity? I hate to quote Mark May but this is ridiculous -- "I hardly see 9-3 as mediocre."

Here's Ivan Maisel's take on it:

When the decision is made to change coaches, usually the reason behind it is painfully obvious (John Mackovic) or blatantly wrongheaded (Tommy Tuberville). But neither describes the decision by Nebraska athletic director Steve Pederson on Saturday night to fire Frank Solich.

After going 7-7 in 2002, Solich came under pressure to revamp his staff and he did so. The Huskers finished the regular season 9-3, a significant improvement. If my math is right, that's much better than 7-7. Pederson disagreed, and in a short meeting Saturday night, told Solich that after 25 seasons on the Nebraska staff, he was done.

Pederson may believe that the Huskers' inability to compete with Texas (31-7) and Kansas State (38-9) in the second half of the season indicate a drop in talent that Solich oversaw and can't rectify. But the athletic director's cure may be worse than the illness.

If Pederson decides to hire a Walt Harris from Pittsburgh, for instance, he will be asking a passing coach to take over an offense built for the run. If you want to see what can happen in that circumstance, go watch a couple of Notre Dame game tapes.

By firing Solich, Pederson must hope that he will accelerate Nebraska's ability to return to the place it held among the college football elite for more than three decades. But change doesn't promise improvement. It just promises change.

-- Ivan Maisel, ESPN.com

I think Frank got a miracle in Pelini. But regardless, the recruits were gonna run out, and then where was the program at? The Crouch gem was shined out. Then what?

The "then what" would have been to give Solich, Pelini and the rest of the revamped staff another year or two to SEE what kind of recruits we could have/would have gotten. The problem is we will never know because they weren't given a chance. SP gave this staff 4 + years to try it out. Didn't work and they got an extension ! Who wouldn't give anything for the 3 'blowout losses' we suffered in 2003 over the way BC has driven the heart right out of this years team ? We were never ranked dead last in defense any other time in my lifetime. 9 (10) and 3 looks mighty good to me !