New Coach? equals New Offense, which equals......

Here's a possibility that I doubt many have thought about.

Now that Ganz will be starting, might we see a few read option runs, much like they run in the spread. If we do, we're seeing an offense TO has stated he likes.

We now move to the end of the season where TO and Callahan have their talk. Look at the QBs Callahan has gone after. Witt, Lee, Freeman and Gabbert could all run the spread. Zac was a quick fix when we needed someone, and Keller just feel into our laps. But Callahan can show TO he has recruited QBs that can run the spread or some type of west coast spread hybrid.

Something will have to be done about the defense, so Cosgrove and some others take the fall and move on. Callahan stays, and we save the majority of the recruits, the offense moves on to more of a spread offense, and TO sees this as a win win so he's happy.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't think BC has even thought about running a read option offense. He has been a WCO guy all of his career and I don't think he is going to change it because Sam is done and Ganz is a little more athletic. He might call some different plays that takes advantage of Joey's athletic ability but I don't see an option read attack being put in this week.

Callahan is going into the shell. He's going to try to run, run and run some more. Lucky is going to have 25+ carries. ie(see USC game plan from last year)

He's going to try and keep KU's offense off the field, run the clock down and not be embarrassed.

(I started this as sarcasm, but after re-reading it, the irony may be that it may be closer to the truth)

Callahan is going into the shell. He's going to try to run, run and run some more. Lucky is going to have 25+ carries. ie(see USC game plan from last year)

He's going to try and keep KU's offense off the field, run the clock down and not be embarrassed.

(I started this as sarcasm, but after re-reading it, the irony may be that it may be closer to the truth)

thats what I would do. I would run the ball and shorten the game but I would also take my shotsfrom time to time, and when I did I would go for the throat. I would pressure them like crazy on D. stop the run and make them beat us in the air. rotate lots of players on d so we dont get tired

The talent is there...just need some leadership and coaching...not all of which will come from new coaches. The players need to step up too, someone has to be a leader out on the field, not just shoot off their mouth at the Brass Rail after having too many.

The tackling on the defense is terrible. They need to give up the philosophy of not hitting in practice, because it is really showing that these guys don't have a clue how to tackle with their bodies. If Bo is the one to be HC, that will be taken care of.

It doesn't have anything to do with offensive scheme. It has everything to do with players and execution. Any offense will work with the right players that execute. Having said that, I still think that the enduring offense more closely resembles the power-I set. Years from now, that set will still be run. Just gets some 350-lb. o-linemen and go.

NU's whole problem this year is that they have lost their mojo. They need to get their mojo back. When they find it again, they will be just fine.

Don't bag on the players and coaches too much. Losing your mojo is a terrible thing, and it can happen to anyone.

They will get it back, though. This weekend. Against KU. My prediction: NU 45, KU 10.

:rollin

That damn fat bastard. He better give us our mojo back. :madash

That was definitely Callahan's plan for Texas...shheeeeeeeeesh, you guys can be so negative.

Even if nebraska wins, the general feeling will be negativity until Billy Bob and his jabronies are all gone.

If they're gone. I think a lot of people are just so convinced that because TO is here all the coaches will be gone, that they overlook the thing they don't want to happen. And that is the fact Callahan may well convince TO that the QBs he's recruited can run an offense much like the spread, and he's willing to make changes in his offense to cover that. If he wants this job bad enough he'd do it. And there's the fact he can recruit, TO will like that. Plus add in the current recruits that may stay.

TO's main thing so far has been tradition and culture. None of us will ever know how much of the lost culture was Pederson and not Callahan. It's easy to see Pederson keeping the old players away and Pederson taking down the old pictures and not putting them back up. Does anyone really think Callahan could care less about pictures on a wall. And we have to remember Callahan worked for Pedeson, so who was he to argue with Pederson about behind the scenes stuff.

I'm not trying to stick up for Callahan, he's made plenty of mistakes since he's been here. But I'm just saying don't be so sure he's going to be gone at the end of the year. I can see wholesale changes on the defensive side, but TO just might give Callahan more time. That's TOs style. He gives people breaks and undestands what they're going through during the tough times. As much as we've heard from him on tradition and culture, we've probably heard twice as much about that he understands how hard it is for the coaches and their families during times like this. Don't kid yourself. How TO was treated when he was coach when things didn't go as planned will have an influence on what he does today.

I think the key will be, does TO think Callahan can do it if given more time. With all the possible changes and possible loss of recruits, TO will not want this to happen again in 2 or 3 years. So I think if he feels Callahan can do it, he'll give him more time. But if he isn't sure, then make the changes now and don't mess up another recruiting class in 2 or 3 years.

First of all Callahan said when got this job that he runs the WCO and thats all he knows how to run. He has ran this offense for as long as he has been a coach and he wont change his offense. If he were to change his offense that would be in some way saying "Sorry i was wrong, my offense isnt the greatest thing ever" and he has way to much pride to admit he was wrong.

If we have learned anything from the games Callahan has coached at UNL i think it is that he is terrible at making adjustments. Every single game last year we would start off great and then would do nothing after halftime, this year we arent starting off good and then are doing worse after halftime. So dont think Callahan is going to suddenly decide to make all these "adjustments" to his play book.

Also has everyone forgot what Doak Ostergard said in that book. Doak was a good friend of Osborne's and i think TO will take his word over BC's word.

We have the talent on this team right now to do big things and it hurts to watch these guys go to waste from poor coaching. I really do think if the right coach comes in here he could do HUGE things next season. There is a ton of talent on this team. Unfortunately the only way for us to save the recruiting class is to get rid of Cally and Co. right now, but T.O. isn't going to do that. We will definately have a year where the talent just isn't there because of this mistake.

Second of All to answer the questions first stated in this thread. The cupboard is far from bare, if you talk to scouts at any level (college or pro) they will tell you this team has a lot of talent but for some reason they just arent putting things together. That falls on the coaches, it is the coaches job to get the most out of a team and they are not doing that.

Also look for Phil Dillard to step up and be the vocal leader of this Defense next year, you can kinda see him trying to do that this year, but he is sharing time on the field and has been hampered by injuries, which makes it hard to step into that leadership role. Look for Thenarse and Suh to do the same as Dillard. On offense i would look to the starting QB (either Ganz or Lee) to step up and lead next year, along with the QB maybe Lucky who isnt also the most vocal guy or i could see Castille steping up into that leadership role.

Second of All to answer the questions first stated in this thread. The cupboard is far from bare, if you talk to scouts at any level (college or pro) they will tell you this team has a lot of talent but for some reason they just arent putting things together. That falls on the coaches, it is the coaches job to get the most out of a team and they are not doing that.

Also look for Phil Dillard to step up and be the vocal leader of this Defense next year, you can kinda see hin trying to do that this year, but he is sharing time on the field and has been hampered by injuries, which makes it hard to step into that leadership role. Look for Thenarse and Suh to do the same as Dillard. On offense i would look to the starting QB (either Ganz or Lee) to step up and lead next year, along with the QB maybe Lucky who isnt also the most vocal guy or i could see Castille steping up into that leadership role.

To talk about Ganz for a second I think we will really see him play his arse off in these last three games because he knows it's his time to prove why he should've started and should be the starter next season. I really like the guy and think he has a ton of heart. :thumbs

To talk about Ganz for a second I think we will really see him play his arse off in these last three games because he knows it's his time to prove why he should've started and should be the starter next season. I really like the guy and think he has a ton of heart.

I also really like Ganz but i cant help but feel sorry for the guy. I think he will have a great shot at winning the starting QB job next year with a new coaching staff here, but if the current staff stayed Ganz would be pretty much a lock to win it next year because he knows the system so well. With a new staff coming in he is going to have to learn another new system, but i would call Ganz the favorite for next year because of the game experience he is going to get in these last three games and he is a great competitor. Also the offense the new staff brings in will be ten times easier to learn than the one he knows right now. Ganz will feel like a Calculus student beign taught Algebra 1-2 all over, eveything will come very easy for him.

So lets just sit back let TO deal with Cally and Co. and lets see what Ganz and others will bring to the table next year.

We may not have the talent to play with the top programs, but we have the talent to play with Kansas.

The question is do we have the heart?

BC faced this the first year with all the Pelini crap going on.

I don't know if he can overcome the attitude or not, but I am pulling for him to get everyone on the same page this weekend.

We have nothing to lose and everything to gain. That normally makes for a pretty dangerous team.

I still don't think the talent is here to play for BCS games, but it is here for the games we have left. It all boils down to attitude. We need to be more positive about this team the next three weeks. We need these games to get to a bowl. We need to be the best fans in college football the next three games period.

Quit the harping about new coaches, bad players and lack of effort.

They can and will get r done.

great post.

There is more as well.

The NU interior lines, both offensive and defensive need to shed weight and need to get physically stronger. This, of course, sounds contradictory, but is really not. There is too much body fat and these guys are getting physically man-handled. This a conditioning issue that needs to be addressed.

Also, form tackling skills need addressing. And shedding blocks. Also, guys like Suh and Steinkuler allow people under their shoulder pads and get driven off the line routinely because they come in way too high and enable the leverage to go to the opposition. All these are coaching issues, that, if rectified, when coupled with the talent at NU and some good schemes should enable NU to field an immediately competitive team next year. By competitive I mean a 7-9 win team, bowl eligible and respectable.

Here's a possibility that I doubt many have thought about.

Now that Ganz will be starting, might we see a few read option runs, much like they run in the spread. If we do, we're seeing an offense TO has stated he likes.

We now move to the end of the season where TO and Callahan have their talk. Look at the QBs Callahan has gone after. Witt, Lee, Freeman and Gabbert could all run the spread. Zac was a quick fix when we needed someone, and Keller just feel into our laps. But Callahan can show TO he has recruited QBs that can run the spread or some type of west coast spread hybrid.

Something will have to be done about the defense, so Cosgrove and some others take the fall and move on. Callahan stays, and we save the majority of the recruits, the offense moves on to more of a spread offense, and TO sees this as a win win so he's happy.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't think BC has even thought about running a read option offense. He has been a WCO guy all of his career and I don't think he is going to change it because Sam is done and Ganz is a little more athletic. He might call some different plays that takes advantage of Joey's athletic ability but I don't see an option read attack being put in this week.

no kidding. If he were going to be smart and coach to his players' strengths, we would have seen that the first season not the last.

As for the topic of this thread, I think that the quaterback is the only position where being bred for a system is actually meaningful. Receivers run fast, catch balls, run fast again. Backs carry the ball, run fast, hit people, run more, and occasionally block. I think that those positions (and the line) can be more easily molded to any offense (I mean, there's no system where it's better to have a slow receiver who can't catch), but a drop back QB *might* be quick on his feet, but that's not going to be the #1 priority when recruiting a QB for that type of system. Yeah, there might be an RB or anyone else who won't fit in a system as well as one would like, but the probability of a RB who can't handle a different sort of offense seems lower.

Totally lay perspective here.

First of all Callahan said when got this job that he runs the WCO and thats all he knows how to run. He has ran this offense for as long as he has been a coach and he wont change his offense. If he were to change his offense that would be in some way saying "Sorry i was wrong, my offense isnt the greatest thing ever" and he has way to much pride to admit he was wrong.

Maybe, but then I didn't think I'd ever see the day Callahan would allow anyone else to call plays, no matter how short that time may have been.

As I said I'm not sticking up for Callahan, I don't really have a problem if he leaves. But the thread said new coach equals new offense, and I'm still not sure we'll be seeing a new coach. We may see a slight change to the offense with a different type of QB running things, but it's possible this will be with the same coach. I think many have read too much into what they think is going to happen. Or then again maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Not saying I like the idea. But my prediction is, if Callahan changes things up some in these last games with a different style of QB running things, and he gets lucky and pulls off a couple wins, which is very possible if they will play the way they played in Tx. Then we just might have to get used to Callahan. I know there hasn't been any rumor as to that affect. But then rumors are usually what we want to hear, and this wouldn't necessarily be that.