Here's a great coach

Johnson would never consider coming to Nebraska, I think he will be staying at Navy. Other than the triple option, I haven't seen that much from him. His defense really isn't that great...come on, Notre Dame? As Espn said about Nebraska....the girl scouts could put a team on the field against Notre Dame...lol. Well...maybe. Think they better beat Nebraska first....and work their way up the ladder....

Being in the area and a retired Navy officer, I would like add some perspective to this thread now that we've reached a commonality between my two loves - Nebraska and Navy. PJ is a great coach with the talent he is provided. Remember, they do not recruit 5 star atheletes. These are future Navy Officers who just happen to have some football skills. From that meager pool of talent, he has done very well in bringing the Commanders Trophy back to Annapolis on a regular basis again - but all that means is that you are able to dominate the OTHER service academies that are in the same situation.

Unfortunately, his system would not work in the Big XII or any other major conference, even with the expected increase in talent. It is simple and predictable. The fact that he ended college football's longest losing streak has me as giddy today as I am distraught about getting hammered in Lawrence yesterday, but he (and his system) is not the answer to the Cornhuskers regaining prominence in the country.

Don't latch on to PJ because he reminds us of our domination roots from years ago with the option any more than you would suggest Fisher DeBerry from the Wing Nut Academy. It is time to build a program that embraces new schemes and flexibility - without being the size of the Omaha phone book. Something that someone like Norm Chow would bring, and Peterson as mentioned elsewhere on this board. I'm on the fence about Pellini. I get the sense that he is a powder keg ready to explode at a moment's notice and might bring more negative publicity to our program than he is worth. Just a gut feeling I have.

Being in the area and a retired Navy officer, I would like add some perspective to this thread now that we've reached a commonality between my two loves - Nebraska and Navy. PJ is a great coach with the talent he is provided. Remember, they do not recruit 5 star atheletes. These are future Navy Officers who just happen to have some football skills. From that meager pool of talent, he has done very well in bringing the Commanders Trophy back to Annapolis on a regular basis again - but all that means is that you are able to dominate the OTHER service academies that are in the same situation.

Unfortunately, his system would not work in the Big XII or any other major conference, even with the expected increase in talent. It is simple and predictable. The fact that he ended college football's longest losing streak has me as giddy today as I am distraught about getting hammered in Lawrence yesterday, but he (and his system) is not the answer to the Cornhuskers regaining prominence in the country.

Don't latch on to PJ because he reminds us of our domination roots from years ago with the option any more than you would suggest Fisher DeBerry from the Wing Nut Academy. It is time to build a program that embraces new schemes and flexibility - without being the size of the Omaha phone book. Something that someone like Norm Chow would bring, and Peterson as mentioned elsewhere on this board. I'm on the fence about Pellini. I get the sense that he is a powder keg ready to explode at a moment's notice and might bring more negative publicity to our program than he is worth. Just a gut feeling I have.

Didn't PJ run a very successful version of the spread as coordinator at Hawaii?

I would like to see Will Muschamp get a look.

Wil Muschamp is going to come back to Georgia as soon as Mark Richt gets the balls to fire his current D. C. Muschamp was a great player for Georgia in the 90's......one of only a few good ones we had in the 90s, lol....

i also think Muschamp is way too attatched to Tommy Tuberville right now.

Hire Rich Rodriguez......I think he would really bring back the option.

If there is a pool of four or five guys that they will look at, I will feel much better if Paul Johnson is on that list. FOX Sports radio mentioned Craig Bohl and Glenn Mason....vomit...

Loved Johnson when he was at Georgia Southern.....2-time National Champions in I-AA, and 2 more as an assistant under Erk Russell at the same school. He would probably go to Nebraska if the cash was right. Dont know if the Wing-T would work in the big-time, though....too much speed at this level.

I would like to see Will Muschamp get a look.

Wil Muschamp is going to come back to Georgia as soon as Mark Richt gets the balls to fire his current D. C. Muschamp was a great player for Georgia in the 90's......one of only a few good ones we had in the 90s, lol....

i also think Muschamp is way too attatched to Tommy Tuberville right now.

Hire Rich Rodriguez......I think he would really bring back the option.

Rodriguez is a West Virginia guy...he's not going anywhere.

if we dont get Bo we have to get turner Gill. Not even a question.

Paul Johnson has accomplished more as a head coach than Turner Gill and Bo Pelini combined by a wide margin. Most certainly 19/20 AD's if given the choice between Paul Johnson and Gill or Pelini will choose Johnson. It is not even close.

If we even remotely have a shot at Paul Johnson then any talk of Gill or Pelini is almost laughable.

Please take no offense, Gill is a great guy and perhaps Ok as a coach but can in no way be compared to Johnson. pelini has fire, yes. He is emotional, yes. He has never been a HC (except his one game at NU) and he has really shown some decent potential. But Paul Johnson has taken Georgia Southern from decent to multiple championship awesome. He took Navy (in worse shape as a program than is NU now) --- one of the worst programs in America and made them 3 times bowl worthy and still has a top 10 ten record for active coaches.

In coaching parlance, Pelini is a flashy prototype car that looks exciting but may not run. Gill is a serviceable Chevy. Johnson is a Toyota Camry --- proven, excellent, dependable, rock-solid.

There are no real comparisons here. The other two are not even in Johnson's league.

Didn't PJ run a very successful version of the spread as coordinator at Hawaii?

You are correct sir:

"Prior to joining the Navy staff, Johnson spent eight seasons as the offensive coordinator at the University of Hawai'i (1987-94). He helped guide the Rainbows to their first Western Athletic Conference title and their first bowl appearance coordinating an explosive offense that broke or equaled over 160 school records.

While at Hawai'i, Johnson developed a successful offensive unit which earned top-20 I-A statistical rankings in scoring offense, total offense and rushing offense during six of his eight seasons. He earned Top Offensive Coach honors in the WAC and was named one of the top-10 assistant coaches in the country by The Sporting News."

Paul Johnson's bio on navysports.com

Paul Johnson on Wikipedia

This guy knows how to use the players he has to WIN...PERIOD!!!

He WILL be on the short list IMO...

In fact...I emailed Dr. Tom myself to suggest just that...

Yeah, yeah...I know...who the f*** am I and why would T.O. care...blah, blah, blah...