Some want to keep Callahan, but all agree Coz should go...

I talked to a senior nebraska fan after the KU game and after listening to my rant about the coaches, he said something profound. He said "you should win a game after putting up 40 points, but when you are giving up 70 there is nothing we can do except fire the D Coach. Callahan has some good ideas and made some progress with his approach, and he should be retained for one more year to clean toilets if nothing else". I changed my stance on Callahan and think we should stick with him for ONE more year, but Coz has got to go... no if ands or buts. I think Callahan could be successful if he loosens his grip on the play calling as he is outcoaching himself it seems. How many back up QBs come into their first start and set a top 3 school record? I was impressed with Ganz, and Helu. There were flashes of good play on the offense, but the D just didnt show up... again. Time to cut Coz loose and start over with someone like Pelini... someone who will breathe fire and spit nails before he allows his team to give up 20 points, let alone 70!!

One might agree with this philosophy until they actually break the game down and learn our Offense handed KU 35 points. The D is terrible, but the O hasn't exactly lit the World on fire either. It's not like we have a top 20 Offense and bottom 20 Defense.

Has Nebraska offense done anything against a top tier defense and try not to bring up Kansas defense as top tier. Kansas toughest game this year so far has been K-State and Texas A & M NOT juggernaught in offense this year. Kansas will find out how good their defense is when they start playing the big boys and I'll expect it will be a scoring fest.

Back to the offense they had problems moving the ball against Auburn, Oklahoma and USC this year and last year three teams that have very good defense. Some one bought up the fact on another post that Nebraska was moving the ball on Kansas, and the West coast offense seemed to work the way Callahan imagined it. If you remember it took a option play to get a first down and keep the first drive alive. Then they scored not by throwing the ball which was called for but a scramble from QB that was in trouble.

I swear I seen more screen passes this year then I did in Osborne whole tenure. There is no run game whats so ever. You can tell this by how many first downs have been made on 3rd down running the ball even Callahan has noticed this by calling for pass plays for most of those situations.

Sorry, can't agree. The offense hasn't been that great either. Besides, it isn't just the x's & o's. It is about passion and leadership. He needs to fit the system to his talent. He tries to fit the talent to his system. He refuses to change i.e., Watson calling the O and Coz fired.

Sorry, can't agree. The offense hasn't been that great either. Besides, it isn't just the x's & o's. It is about passion and leadership. He needs to fit the system to his talent. He tries to fit the talent to his system. He refuses to change i.e., Watson calling the O and Coz fired.

Exactly. Callahan is the Head Coach, ultimately resposible for any problems within the team. Our team this year is a reflection of his effectiveness as a head coach. On top of that, he is an idiot! :wacko:

I think Callahan will change this guys opinion all by himself. I'm sure Callahan is actually wondering what it takes to get fired. He will progresively get worse till you have no choice. I think he is doing all he can to get out of his contract with as much money as he can. I have to give props to TO for having the patience to deal with this guy. I would deffinately go back on my word and fire him.

I think Callahan will change this guys opinion all by himself. I'm sure Callahan is actually wondering what it takes to get fired. He will progresively get worse till you have no choice. I think he is doing all he can to get out of his contract with as much money as he can. I have to give props to TO for having the patience to deal with this guy. I would deffinately go back on my word and fire him.

I think the players should call their own plays and ignore the plays called by BC and KC. :woo

My understanding is that BC is Head coach, in charge of the whole team....not just the offense or the special teams. This collapse is big enough that IF BC was going to DO so, he should have done it long ago.

BC has to go, there is no confidence in this program, from the fans, the boosters, or now even the players.

It's time to cut ties. The coach and QB get the credit most of the time, and they also get the blame. You always start at the top. That's not a newsflash, it's just how it's always been. When things are extremely shaky like they are, you make a change starting from the top.

Cally is a decent person. Unfortunately, as a coach, he failed.

What percent of 1% would actually want BC back--this would be

crazy and would be equal to the death penalty for NU football.

That's Awesome!

"The NCAA and the Presidents of the Universities of the Big 12 conference have decided, that because of multiple recruiting and play for pay scandles, that the University of Oklahoma will immediately have Steve Peterson, Bill Callahan, and Kevin Cosgrove placed in the A.D., head coach, and defensive coordinator positions for no less than 6 years. Effectively, the same punishment we gave SMU." - Some NCCA Media Hack