Jim Rose-Football Announcer No Longer

TLS2

You think this is actually a firing? Think they are nailing him for the open-mic thing that happened a couple games ago? I hope that isn't the reason because he was just speaking the truth. I've never understood why radio/tv announcers for sports teams are always expected to be biased for the home team and not given the freedom to critisize.... doesn't make sense.. aren't they journalists? Perhaps they are more entertainer... I'd rather they are free to speak their minds than put on some fake crap.

I'd like to know the true story behind this one.

B

Yeah, I don't like him, but I think that would be a p*ss poor reason for canning him asking him to resign.

You think this is actually a firing? Think they are nailing him for the open-mic thing that happened a couple games ago? I hope that isn't the reason because he was just speaking the truth. I've never understood why radio/tv announcers for sports teams are always expected to be biased for the home team and not given the freedom to critisize.... doesn't make sense.. aren't they journalists? Perhaps they are more entertainer... I'd rather they are free to speak their minds than put on some fake crap.

I'd like to know the true story behind this one.

The articles I've read have not mentioned that he was fired, only that he stepped down for personal reasons. I think if he would've been fired for the above we would've heard about it right after it happened.

I hate to laugh at anyone losing their job, but this is almost getting comical. Everyone knows the entire coaching staff is gone, our AD is gone. It seems that anyone associated with the BC era is getting canned, right down to the waterboy. In ten years, if someone mentions BC's name in Lincoln, will you be arrested? I love it......we are going to totally erase the 4 years of the BC era and if anyone ever speaks of it they will be flogged.

HE WHO WILL NOT BE NAMED! WHOOOHHAAAA! lol

I hardly ever notice who's calling the game..Just scanning the dial searching for a familiar voice after realizing I overslept and missed the 1st quarter due in part to the 2 (now 1) hour time difference.

Listening to Lyle is fun in the old replays of the '71 game with OU, but I can't imagine listening to any chain smoker on a regular basis.

I would like something completely different..Maybe someone who can do different voices..like Robin Williams..Or maybe somebody with a sexy voice like Rhona Mitra. (see daily skin).

I would hope he got canned because he sucked as an announcer, not because he quit homering and spinning to tell the truth. Rose was almost painful to listen to, glad to find him gone. But I thought he blew too much hot-air up our ass as is, don't think he should get in trouble for finally getting real.

however, the guy was nothing but a suck up.. he jumped the pedey bandwagon from day one and had no problems switching the day he was fired.. rose is not the worst guy in the history of radio.. there are worse.. but he was bad as a football and baseball broadcaster.. and he was every bit as bad if not worse with the coaches shows.. they became unwatchable for me after he took over....

Good Luck to Jim Rose.

I, personally, cannot be more happy. Hopefully, we'll get a better play caller next year. He is obviously attached to Pederson's apron strings and it must have gotten real uncomfortable in the booth with some true Huskers.

Thanks for quitting Jim. Hopefully your buddy Bill and Kevin will take your example to heart...SOON>

Kevin Kugler is the obvious replacement.

Would be interesting. I think he has a pretty good gig with Westwood One right now. Every Saturday with Terry Bowden. Of course maybe the travel would get old.

Geez....should be an interesting show today. Tuesday press conference, Rose stepping down....I can't wait to hear what they have to say today on 1620.

what the hell was up with today's show? Kevin avoiding the situation like a bad case of herpes...

all that guitar talk...

Saw this on KFAB online this morning:

http://www.kfab.com/cc-common/mainheadline...article=2889307

Rose Ends Football Broadcasts

Jim Rose announced Tuesday morning he would no longer be the play-by-play announcer for Nebraska Husker football games.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

During Newsradio 1110 KFAB's "Good Morning Show," Rose explained that he is stepping down as the "voice of the Huskers" immediately. Rose has called the games for six years.

Rose said the job as the voice of the Huskers was rewarding, exciting and thrilling, but he had lost touch with important things in his life.

How about Jay Leno. He's quitting the Tonight Show soon and he's good at comedy, which is what watching a Nebraska game is anymore... :sarcasm

Despite his real or imagined shortcomings as a broadcaster, Rose had an encyclopedic knowledge of Big Red football. I hope the next guy brings that local knowledge to the broadcast booth.

His shortcomings were not imagined. Announcers are expected to have some knowledge of the program. What else would you expect? There is also a thing called the record book and program that are easily accessible and probably in the booth with him. Please. He is not an encyclopedia for Husker football.

Would be interesting. I think he has a pretty good gig with Westwood One right now. Every Saturday with Terry Bowden. Of course maybe the travel would get old.

Geez....should be an interesting show today. Tuesday press conference, Rose stepping down....I can't wait to hear what they have to say today on 1620.

what the hell was up with today's show? Kevin avoiding the situation like a bad case of herpes...

all that guitar talk...

why did perlman avoid the new AD situation.. why do any coaches that are "in touch" with other teams ever say "i haven't talked to them" or anything of the sort... you think he doesn't know a lot of people want and some EXPECT him to take this job? if he wanted it, it is more than likely his.. i am not certain this is the case though.. as previously stated.....

all that guitar talk...

why did perlman avoid the new AD situation.. why do any coaches that are "in touch" with other teams ever say "i haven't talked to them" or anything of the sort... you think he doesn't know a lot of people want and some EXPECT him to take this job? if he wanted it, it is more than likely his.. i am not certain this is the case though.. as previously stated.....

you make a valid point...and it's one I've been thinking about...I hope to god he doesn't want it...