Too legit to quit: Callahan won't resign

So, BC didn't really ignore TO at half against KU? He didn't totally walk past him after the game against KU? I thought it was caught on camera or something that he did. If he did, this is insubordination. TO will not tolerate insubordination.

I haven't seen the Ignore-gate video between Callahan and Osborne so I'm not going to comment on that.

But, here's a possible scenario I see playing out between Osborne and Callahan. Osborne will sit down with Cally and basically say "Bill we'll keep you on these conditions...." If Callahan agrees, he could very well be staying. If he doesn't, Osborne might fire him. Considering what is coming out about Pederson now that he's gone, a part of me wonders if part of Callahan's "problem" with Osborne was a direct result of Pederson and his refusal to acknowledge the past and traditions Devaney and Osborne created.

I'm not saying Callahan should stay...but I'm not saying I'm 100% convinced he should go. We don't know what went on behind closed doors. We don't really know what Pederson was allowing and not allowing to happen between the current staff/players and past staff/players. In the back of my mind, a piece of me is saying he should be given one more year (as long as he makes staff changes). But another part is saying we should cut or losses and move on :hmmph

I think everyone is forgetting that Pud was once on TO's staff. I believe he was in charge of recruiting or something. I believe he was also recommended for the AD job by TO. I hate Pud for his decisions 4 years ago, but I don't believe he had some hatred towards TO. If it weren't for TO, Pud would have never reached as high as he did within this organization.

In this day and age, it's pretty hard to separate fact from fiction. However, fact: BC chose his assistants which includes Coz. This tells me that BC is not very good at evaluating talent especially when you hear from Wisconsin fans that are just elated that we took that clown Coz off their hands. We can bitch and moan all we want about his assistants, but he is the one that brought them here. If he can't evaluate coaching talent well, what makes us think he can evaluate player talent any better? He screwed up pretty big time when bringing in the assistants we have now. What makes you think the second time around will be any better?

So, BC didn't really ignore TO at half against KU? He didn't totally walk past him after the game against KU? I thought it was caught on camera or something that he did. If he did, this is insubordination. TO will not tolerate insubordination.

I haven't seen the Ignore-gate video between Callahan and Osborne so I'm not going to comment on that.

But, here's a possible scenario I see playing out between Osborne and Callahan. Osborne will sit down with Cally and basically say "Bill we'll keep you on these conditions...." If Callahan agrees, he could very well be staying. If he doesn't, Osborne might fire him. Considering what is coming out about Pederson now that he's gone, a part of me wonders if part of Callahan's "problem" with Osborne was a direct result of Pederson and his refusal to acknowledge the past and traditions Devaney and Osborne created.

I'm not saying Callahan should stay...but I'm not saying I'm 100% convinced he should go. We don't know what went on behind closed doors. We don't really know what Pederson was allowing and not allowing to happen between the current staff/players and past staff/players. In the back of my mind, a piece of me is saying he should be given one more year (as long as he makes staff changes). But another part is saying we should cut or losses and move on :hmmph

I think everyone is forgetting that Pud was once on TO's staff. I believe he was in charge of recruiting or something. I believe he was also recommended for the AD job by TO. I hate Pud for his decisions 4 years ago, but I don't believe he had some hatred towards TO. If it weren't for TO, Pud would have never reached as high as he did within this organization.

In this day and age, it's pretty hard to separate fact from fiction. However, fact: BC chose his assistants which includes Coz. This tells me that BC is not very good at evaluating talent especially when you hear from Wisconsin fans that are just elated that we took that clown Coz off their hands. We can bitch and moan all we want about his assistants, but he is the one that brought them here. If he can't evaluate coaching talent well, what makes us think he can evaluate player talent any better? He screwed up pretty big time when bringing in the assistants we have now. What makes you think the second time around will be any better?

There is nothing to make me believe it would be better second time around.

I guess before this gets out of hand, I'm not saying I want him to stay. He's pissed me off enough that if/when he's fired, it won't really be a day too soon. At the same time, I'm still wondering how many of Callahan's problems with coaching this team are as a result of Pederson's meddling and without Pud's interference next year, this team wouldn't make a complete turnaround. I'm not trying to defend Callahan. Just throwing out what I think are possible scenarios.

Ultimately what I think is going to happen is Callahan will be let go. I think Osborne's mind has been made up even though he said he would wait until the end of the season to "evaluate this staff"

Could Callahan really turn things around in a fifth year? It seems so wrong to me at the moment that I scarcely know where to begin thinking about it. Could I be that delusional? I guess the answer might be yes...

Can anyone point out another example of a coach who started out with a 9 win team prior to their arrival, who then fell into utter disgrace (not right at first, but after several years), and emerged phoenix-like from the ashes to return to dominance?

This has to be an unlikely scenario, but if there is a good example perhaps I wouldn't despair all hope if Callahan comes back (just most of my hope).

Tolerating BC (no longer HCBC--he doesn't deserve that title) for

this year has been almost intolerable. If he's retained for '08

the split in the program would almost be equal the death penalty

and the slide downward would continue unabated and would take

unknown additional years to be corrected. Let him take his

"packages" back to the NFL or Division lll. :rollin

I think the question that all the 1-more-year-BC people need to ask themselves is what, exactly, do you think we'll gain from it? What evidence do you have to support your theory that even with monumental staff changes he'd manage to pull this team together? I thought Rock Bottom was a college education, but apparently we've not gotten low enough.

If Osborne keeps Callahan for any reason I believe the results will be disastrous. This is why I'm still a little concerned about next season. I thought Callahan would've announced his resignation by now and saved Osborne the trouble. Unfortunately he's still clinging on for his life. I just hope Osborne makes the right decision. Callahan has been a disaster at Nebraska, and there is not one single argument we can give in favor of keeping him a second longer. I think he should be fired today if possible, just for the principal of the thing.

In any case if Osborne uses some kind of objective evluation tool, there's not a single category besides bull-headedness that Callahan could possibly score high marks in, including recruiting, which doesn't seem to help him since half our good players are still riding the pine.

X

Can't imagine what these boards would be like if Callahan was allowed to stay. Actually I can, and would have to quit the message boards just to keep my sanity. Then the next season when Nebraska loses their first game it would just get worse and start all over again.

Whats the recruiting class going to look like if Callhan does stay and some of the other coaches will be let go?

What coaching staff going to come and work under the threat if it's not turned around you might be gone the next year?

Can't imagine what these boards would be like if Callahan was allowed to stay. Actually I can, and would have to quit the message boards just to keep my sanity. Then the next season when Nebraska loses their first game it would just get worse and start all over again.

Thankfully, we won't have to worry about that scenario. He won't be back.

Whats the recruiting class going to look like if Callhan does stay and some of the other coaches will be let go?

One year's recruiting class is the least of our worries right now. We need to fix this from the top down, not the bottom up.

What coaching staff going to come and work under the threat if it's not turned around you might be gone the next year?

Every single coaching staff in America works under those conditions. Notre Dame is willing to forgive one crummy season like this, but if they aren't noticeably better next year, you can bet Charlie is going to be out on his Weiss.

Thankfully, we won't have to worry about that scenario. He won't be back.

One year's recruiting class is the least of our worries right now. We need to fix this from the top down, not the bottom up.

Was asking this if Callahan stayed. Really not worried about him staying but Osborne should ask himself this if he keeps him. You would then have to point out that it was mishandled by T.O., by not letting the recruit know ahead of time time that he was going to keep Callahan and letting some of the big name recruits leave.

Every single coaching staff in America works under those conditions. Notre Dame is willing to forgive one crummy season like this, but if they aren't noticeably better next year, you can bet Charlie is going to be out on his Weiss.

Yes, but is Charlie firing any of his asst coaches and bringing in different ones like Nebraska will if Callahan stays? I was referring that it would be hard to convince lets just say any good defensive coach like Pellini was for Greenbay to come in and take a job where you were going to have make the team so much better so that they would win enough games just to be safe for another year. Thats asking a lot and doubt any coach thats worth anything would be willing to jump on board.

here is my feeling about the coaching situation. if peterson was still here I would be worried. but he not... TO is the man now, and that changes everything.

the thing we need to remember is this: very few if anyone here has the slightest clue about what it takes to run a successful D1 football program. this is something I learned from being the son of a guy that was a head coach in college for 22 years of my life. not to say that I do know what it take, but simply that most people have no clue what all goes into a program. I mean lets face it. Tom Osborne has forgot more about football than what the entire board knows...combined. we just have to sit back and hope that he makes the right decision.

Was asking this if Callahan stayed. Really not worried about him staying but Osborne should ask himself this if he keeps him. You would then have to point out that it was mishandled by T.O., by not letting the recruit know ahead of time time that he was going to keep Callahan and letting some of the big name recruits leave.

Osborne cannot talk to the recruits. That's a recruiting violation and would bring the NCAA down on our heads. Osborne is doing everything he can short of firing the whole staff right now, which he's on record as saying he won't do. We cannot expect the man to go back on his word.

Yes, but is Charlie firing any of his asst coaches and bringing in different ones like Nebraska will if Callahan stays? I was referring that it would be hard to convince lets just say any good defensive coach like Pellini was for Greenbay to come in and take a job where you were going to have make the team so much better so that they would win enough games just to be safe for another year. Thats asking a lot and doubt any coach thats worth anything would be willing to jump on board.

We got Bo Pelini in a situation exactly like the one you're describing, and I'd say he worked out OK for the one year he was here.

I don't think Callahan and crew are worth keeping, but all this media attention to Callahan resigning appears to be starting to play into his hands. He is being attacked so much and coming back with statements like he is not a quitter. He is probably gaining support rather than losing it because of his 'honorable' intentions

Callahan said much of his fan correspondence has been supportive. Of course, there have been lots of negative, as well.

"It's a game," he said. "I understand here in Nebraska it's more than a game. It's life. It's the most important thing to Nebraskans, and I share that passion."

Callahan said he won't leave on his own volition, even if it means relieving pressure on himself, his staff and their families.

"There is a message if you do resign, that you've quit on your football team," he said. "There is no quit in this staff. We're going to keep plugging away and keep pushing and keep coaching and try to get through this."

There are few Callahan supporters on this board because they are attacked in the same way Callahan is, so they just don't post. I don't think that this board is a true representation of how all Husker fans feel.

T.O. is an honorable man, and he may see a glimpse of that in Callahan because he doesn't turn tail and run from all of the criticism. I'd like to see a little slack in the posts that just say the same thing over and over. Let T.O do his job the way he sees fit, there's not much we can do about it anyway.

Then again, I may be wrong. :hmmph

That's me. I don't post often because this seems like a gathering spot for coach hatred. I'm not on board, because--strictly speaking--coaches do not lose games. Players lose games. There are some on this board that actually blame the coaches for players' attitudes, but I can tell you that the fans and media have a greater effect on the players' attitudes as a whole.

I trust Osborne, either way. I don't pretend to know enough about this year's issues to offer any advice. I do know, however, that there is something happening on that team that transcends coaching--and it originates from defensive personnel. That much is apparent.