What do the players want?

While all but a tiny percentage of us want Callahan gone sooner rather than later, what do all of you think the players want? To the media they give the impression of liking Callahan and Co., and being behind the coaching staff, but if they were to be honest and say what they feel, what would that be?

I guess from where I'm sitting, I would think they (especially those returning next year), would help him pack if given the chance.

This is an interesting question because you have to take what the players are feeling vs. what they would tell you or show publicly if asked.

The players obviously are not going to bad mouth their current head coach publicly. There is a code among players, and aside from the obvious consequence of being benched, the players know better than to publicly criticize a coach or say they are happy to see him leave, regardless of how they feel.

On the other hand, how could you be a player and not be frustrated with every aspect of how this season has turned out in terms of coaching, execution etc. These are very talented players, and are not used to losing this many games by this many points. The players are really stuck, which is why they need and have our support.

Sometimes people don't really know how bad it is until years later and they've been removed from the situation. This is probably a poor analogy, but it's kind of like the battered woman. She herself doesn't even know how bad it really was until after she's been removed from the abusive situation. I had a terrible coach in high school, but I never thought he was that bad until a few years after I graduated and was around some good football. I just thought we (the team) were really bad.

It's kind of an irrelevant question. When the owner fires the supervisor, he doesn't take the employees' feelings into account.

Not entirely true. I've witnessed cases where the "headshed" was "fired" (can't truely be fired in the military..more or less "reassigned") because of reports from other personnel in the unit. Is it always the case? No, but it can happen. I don't think it will happen in this case though. I don't think Osborne is going to willfully seek out the players and ask them what they think of Callahan. However, its possible a few players have talked to Osborne about their discontent with Callahan or the program. At the very least, I have to think Osborne has heard a few things about what's going on.

These guys dont know the difference yet. They only know Cally and their previous HS years. It'll change. I'm sure guys like Meno Holt, Niles Paul, Curenski, Culbert, and any other towel waver will appreciate a new start to actually do something besides pass out gatorade.

The guys who stink up each Saturday and get their PT week in and week out, stand behind their coach.