If the offense were to change...

cmb23

I would have loved to have gotten a stud like this kid:

High School

Shattered school record for passing yards with 2,963 in just two seasons ... single-season passing record-holder (1,756) ... holds school record in all-purpose yards with 2,326 ... completed 52.7 percent of his passes for 1,756 yards and 17 passing touchdowns as a senior ... gained 517 yards on the ground and found the end zone nine times on 96 rushing attempts .

Kid is 6'2, 210 lbs...tough, fast and has a cannon for an arm. And a local kid tto boot! Seems his dad was a player for the Huskers way back when...this guy would have been a perfect candidate to get in there, grow with the system and lead this team for years to come....

Just wish we would have got him...

Oh wait! WE did!

You'll be adding the name Phillip Bates to your wish list before too long.

While i would have loved to get Phillip Bates cause he could develope into a very good QB. He only completed 52.7% of his passes, thats not what i call and efficient passer. I could understand this if he was on a terrible team but Omaha North was very talented and he had Niles Paul to throw the ball to, and he still barely completed more than 5 throws out 10.

I dont know if you know this or not but we have this kid running our scout team right now by the name of Zac Lee, and i think he is pretty good, i dont know you be the judge.

-Zac Lee who stands 6-2 210 runs a 4.6 forty (he was a three year starter on the baseball team in highschool playing centerfield, centerfielders are usually one of the fastest kids on the team). He focused a lot on baseball in highschool so he only had one scholarship to play football out of highschool and that was from Navy, so the went to JC at San Francisco City College to play (One of the best JC's in California, this is the same college Maurice Purify came from). He greyshirted his first year there and last year was the starter. He did pretty good i think, he threw for 3,400 yards with 35 touchdowns with only 5 Int's and completed 64% of his passes, he also ran for 6 TD's. He led his team to a 10-2 record and an appearance in the California junior college title game.

So while Bates is a good player and i would have loved to see him stay instate instead of going to Iowa St., I think Zac Lee will turn out to be pretty good and i wouldnt trade Lee for Bates if i had the chance.

Lee's a juco transfer who obviously thrives on that pathetic West Coast offense...sounds like just the guy Callahan needs to lead the team to victory. I've learned to never count on a juco transfer to deliver as much as promised....

I think I'd take Bates and five years over Lee and three years...especially considering Bates can run the ball effectively.

We do have a habit of turning QB's into receivers don't we? Oh well, after Myer graduates we only have Arnaud and Bates left so he'll be getting his reps.

Lee's a juco transfer who obviously thrives on that pathetic West Coast offense...sounds like just the guy Callahan needs to lead the team to victory. I've learned to never count on a juco transfer to deliver as much as promised....

I think I'd take Bates and five years over Lee and three years...especially considering Bates can run the ball effectively.

We do have a habit of turning QB's into receivers don't we? Oh well, after Myer graduates we only have Arnaud and Bates left so he'll be getting his reps.

I guess you missed the 98' season when JuCo transfer Michael Bishop nearly took KState to the promised land? One messup in the Big 12 Championship game against A&M is the only thing that kept Bishop and crew from playing for a NC. IMO, Taylor probably delivered more than promised here. I would never try to make a living off of JuCo players, but there's always a diamon in the rough!

After this season ISU will have 3 seasons with Bates at QB and Nebraska will have 3 seasons for Lee at QB. Lee has good wheels and a cannon for an arm. Had he been healthy in the spring, who knows what the QB battle would have been like during the spring, summer and fall. I would say Lee is probably not as good of a runner as Bates, but a more polished passer at this time. He also has good genes, his dad played QB in the NFL.

See my thread about the spread offense. I watched that game last night too and it looked like WVU was playing smear the queer or something. Worst offense ever. Not even football.

It's not football? I read your thoughts, and while you are entitled to them, it's ridiculous. "It's Gay" is always a great analysis. And if you don't like that it's one on one plays....that's really what every play is. They guy who has the ball has to get stopped. Every play. Every game. When Nebraska throws the ball downfield to Mo Purify, does that mean that Nunn running an out on the opposite sideline isn't involved? When it's 3rd and 1 and we run a QB sneak for a first down, does that mean that Purify isn't involved lined up out wide? Ridiculous. And as far as "one on one plays" not being real football....Check Eric Crouch and Jamaal Lord's numbers. They both accounted for the majority of the teams offense.

Yeah yeah...and one tipped pass back on September 29th NEARLY put the Huskers at the bottom of the Big 12 North all by themselves....

All kidding aside though. Do us all a favor and please kick KSU's collective asses this weekend would ya? We here at ISU have gotten used to having the cellar all to ourselves. We've earned it, it's ours and we don't feel like sharing :angry:

He also has good genes, his dad played QB in the NFL.

Bah...a backup with the Vikings and the Falcons. Hardly comparable to having a dad who played fullback for the Huskers....