Lane Kiffin on Rome

I assume many of you just heard Lane Kiffin on the Jim Rome Show. He suggested that Monte Kiffin would probably listen to Osborne if he called about the Nebraska HC position. He's 67 years old, so perhaps he could keep the seat warm for a few years while Turner Gill gets more HC experience. Thoughts?

:bonez

I suppose I would prefer someone younger so that they can stay with the program for years to come the way Osborne did. Who knows though, he might be good for a quick turnaround, though I'm wary of coordinators as head coaches. They're pretty hit or miss.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's going to happen or that I would prefer it. But Lane made it sound like Monte would probably have some interest. He also said that Monte probably would've accepted the job when Solich was fired, but Peterson never even called him about the position. Can you believe that we could've had Monte as HC and probably Lane as OC instead of Billy C and Coz? Thanks, Petey!!!! :nutz

I suppose I would prefer someone younger so that they can stay with the program for years to come the way Osborne did. Who knows though, he might be good for a quick turnaround, though I'm wary of coordinators as head coaches. They're pretty hit or miss.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's going to happen or that I would prefer it. But Lane made it sound like Monte would probably have some interest. He also said that Monte probably would've accepted the job when Solich was fired, but Peterson never even called him about the position. Can you believe that we could've had Monte as HC and probably Lane as OC instead of Billy C and Coz? Thanks, Petey!!!! :nutz

We could be playing for the National Championship this year....

I wonder if Kiffin would even listen to Osborne. Kiffin really wanted the head coaching job when Osborne got it, he had more experience, played at NU and he ended up leaving a couple years after Osborne became the head guy. I'm not sure if Kiffin harbors ill feeling towards Osborne or if it is all water under the bridge now. It would be a nice homecoming if he did want to come back.

I wonder if Kiffin would even listen to Osborne. Kiffin really wanted the head coaching job when Osborne got it, he had more experience, played at NU and he ended up leaving a couple years after Osborne became the head guy. I'm not sure if Kiffin harbors ill feeling towards Osborne or if it is all water under the bridge now. It would be a nice homecoming if he did want to come back.

Every time I've heard Monte Kiffin interviewed he talks glowingly about his time at Nebraska and always has the highest praise to say about TO.

Every time I've heard Monte Kiffin interviewed he talks glowingly about his time at Nebraska and always has the highest praise to say about TO.

Exactly. But I had written off the idea of Kiffin coming back after hearing Barrett Ruud interviewed by Rome saying that he couldn't see it happening. But the fact that his [/i]son said this makes this possibility have some real legs. I still see it as a very long shot, but it's intriguing never the less.

Someone else said he would have taken the job if it was offered in 2003.

I remember hearing that as well. He made it clear (as I recall) that he would take the job, but Pederson didn't even look his way.

I have no idea how Kiffin would turn out as HC, but he for sure couldn't do worse than BC, and for certain we would not have alienated the players from past years.

That's good to hear. I have never heard Kiffin speak much on the subject of NU. Perhaps I just read more into it than it was(I wasn't alive in 76 when he left, just read about it in books). I do know that Kiffin is one helluva defensive coach that is tremendously respected around the league. He has helped mold a lot of great assistants as well in his time at Tampa Bay.