can you believe this??

I am I

Callahan: QBs have excelled in WCO

BY BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Monday, Nov 12, 2007 - 01:54:57 pm CST

Coming off a 73-point explosion, Husker football coach Bill Callahan was not shy about engaging in self-promotion during Monday’s Big 12 Coaches Teleconference.

Asked a question about the recent brilliance of junior quarterback Joe Ganz, Callahan said, "This is a player that we developed. You could see his development, it was all over the field on Saturday.

"And coming out of training camp, it was a tough decision ... at the time, when we named the starter, Sam (Keller) had the edge. But that competition, I believe, made them both better. And I think they’d tell you that."

On Saturday, Ganz threw for 510 yards and seven touchdowns in the 73-31 win over Kansas State. He’s now thrown for more than 900 yards in his two games as starter.

Ganz watched most of the first nine games from the sidelines, as Callahan chose in fall camp to give the starting nod instead to Keller, a senior transfer.

Though the team’s record was not up to Nebraska’s standards during those nine games, Keller was en route to some record numbers this season.

Of course, school passing records are easier to claim at a school like Nebraska where the running game was more prominent in past years.

Still, Callahan said Monday that people should take a close look at what three quarterbacks have done in his West Coast offense in the four years he’s been at Nebraska.

"I’d say this to you. We took a guy from the junior college and developed him into the conference player of the year, in Zac Taylor. We took a guy that transferred, in Sam Keller, that was on schedule and on pace to break every record," Callahan said. "And then we insert the third guy here ... that throws for seven touchdowns. I think that record won’t be broke around here for a long time ... I mean, that’s development, that’s coaching, that’s system."

The Huskers are now 12th in the country in pass offense, and 18th in total offense. In the last three games, Nebraska has averaged 544.3 yards a game and 45.6 points a game.

Those numbers are somewhat skewed by the 702 total yards and 73 points put up against Kansas State.

"Everybody’s very critical of myself about how our offense is too complicated, and it’s too pro-like, and it’s this and it’s that," Callahan said. "But the fact remains, the numbers don’t lie. And the performance of these players doesn’t lie. It’s there. It’s all out there ... Somewhere in there, there’s coaching, there’s development, there’s system. There’s some real positive things that aren’t being brought out."

It’s been easy to be critical of Callahan this year given Nebraska’s 5-6 record. If the Huskers don’t beat Colorado on Nov. 23, they will miss a bowl game for the second time in his four years as head coach.

While the Husker offense has had its moments, the defense has struggled all season, giving up 76 points in one game and more than 40 points in five games.

Callahan said a young defensive line has contributed to a lot of those problems, which he said could be rectified.

"It will be only a matter of time before it all connects."

Many think Callahan won’t be around to see it all connect. Rumors have swirled for weeks about the coach’s future.

According to a source close to Callahan, there has been no discussion with NU officials of a contract settlement at this point, and the source doesn’t anticipate such discussion occurring.

Callahan "enthusiastically looks forward to coaching against Colorado," the source said Sunday.

For his part, Callahan is still at least publicly sounding like a man who expects to be around for a bowl game, if Nebraska does beat Colorado.

Callahan is hopeful a 6-6 Nebraska team would receive a bowl bid and that the program would accept that bowl bid.

"That decision is not my decision. I think that decision is made by the higher-ups. I would hope they look at it favorably on our players," Callahan said. "It’s an opportunity to finish on a winning note."

I can see why he concerns himself with numbers and development and such, I even think he's got a point to it all. His offense, at times can look pretty damn unstoppable.

but this isn't some damn video game, where having 700 yds and having lots of 'fun' with X's and O's, all the while either losing or getting blown out is all that matters.

His play calling and his timing are pathetic. right when one thing starts working, he switches to another. he can't fire up his players and give them enough self-confidence to run it for 2 yards on 3rd down.

It really makes me think if he'd have fired Coz and maybe made a switch at QB during one of our numerous blowouts, he could have saved his job. Now, he has to defend himself with 'numbers don't lie.' Well, Billy C Wins and Loses don't lie either.

sure i can believe it, afterall he has been excellent in everything he has done since he got here......gag me! (although we wouldn't understand, it is too complicated)

at this point "self promotion" is all he has to go on and he will milk it for all it is worth........"you know, a couple more years at NU and i would have had that program on top". give me a break.....4-5 more years of Coz and poor play calling on 3rd and 2?? i have seen enough, gooodbye cally, back to the NFL where you can piss off some more professionals.

i think he REALLY REALLY believes that HE is doing good job this year!!!!

but somehow it's just not his fault.

i don't give a rat's butt if Keller had 2 yards passing or broke every single record...i just wanted our guys to play with heart and have a CHANCE to win...Billy didn't provide either.

It seems like if you had been in a coma and woke up and saw Cally on the street, and said, "Hey coach, how is the season going?"

He'd say, "Well. We've put up some great numbers, had a few moments of putting all phases together. The kids have made some great plays, and we've definetly seen a lot of progress in most phases. Our 'system' is in place and I think you can see that having kids in year 4 is paying off because, as coaches, we feel we're doing an excellent job."

"Really!?! So, we're competing in the Big12 North and have a shot at a BCS?"

"Not exactly. Actually our D is ranked 119th, which is last. We are 5-6 and have been stifled on offense and defense 5 weeks in a row. But! these last 2 weeks have showed what we're capapble of as long as we keep coaching so well."

"What the hell planet are you from Callahan? We have a losing season, i've been in a coma, and you tell me 'statistcally' we're having a great season??!!?? All we care about is playing hard and seeing our boys have some heart, then hopefully win and compete for a chance at a Championship. You don't get, it do you?"

"Just look at the numbers you f'ing Hillbilly, they don't lie."

i don't give a rat's butt if Keller had 2 yards passing or broke every single record...i just wanted our guys to play with heart and have a CHANCE to win...Billy didn't provide either.

Apparenlty you're the last to hear. Callahan's doing an excellent job in all areas.

Apparenlty you're the last to hear. Callahan's doing an excellent job in all areas.

in all areas, including blowing smoke up your ass!