can you believe this??

I am I

Anyone remember this remark....."We've got to be the dumbest team in America in terms of playing the game!" Callahan shouted to reporters. "I'm highly critical because of the way we give games away — we give 'em away! Period. It's embarrassing, and I represent that. And I apologize for that. If that's the best we can do, it's a sad product."

Went from best we can do at Oakland....to doing a great job at Nebraska....both sad products.

Good thing Husker players tradition and pride to play for....otherwise players would be asking for him to quit like Oakland players did. Hope his agent can keep his mouth shut long enough to find him a canadian job. :restore

Yes--he got results with a 4th year junior.

My only question is, why does it take 4 years to learn the system when other schools have freshmen and sophomores that excel?

the system he is teaching is not for 1st or even 2nd year guys.......wasted talent sits on the bench for at least 2 years....no wonder even talented recruits seldom see the field for several years here.

I don't think his comments were totally out of line. The guy has a right to defend himself. Sure, he gave all of the credit to his staff and his "system" in these quotes, but what is the true context of the quotes from the conference call? I'm guessing he began the call by praising the efforts of his players, and in particular the play of the seniors.

The guy is human. This season has been pretty disgraceful, and the shortcomings of the coaches and the players are obvious. Thankfully, though, whether or not this season's collapse is the stuff that merits mass firings of coaches is not our decision. NU lost its entire starting defensive line from last year. That's a tough position for any coach to be in. And how many offensive linemen have gone down this year? Furthermore, three of NU's losses came at the hands of top 10 teams. Another one was by a field goal to #17 Texas in Austin. This still doesn't excuse the piss poor efforts against Okie State, A&M, and Ball State, but I think everybody on this board has lost perspective during a very emotional and disappointing season. I know this isn't "Nebraska Football," yada yada whatever. I'm pissed about it too. I think he's probably the wrong guy for this job as well. But some of these knee-jerk reactions are just as "hilarious" as Callahan's coachspeak.

I think we have to acknowledge that there is a lot of unknown information that will factor into the decisions that Osborne makes over the next month or two. There have got to be better things to do than to constantly tear this guy down and question his character. Nobody here has been in his shoes before.

Great post, I'm sure Callahan did heap praise on the players/seniors prior to making these comments.

I dont think it mattered who coached on the sidelines Saturday the Huskers were going to win no matter what.. Those players played there hearts out and I dont think BC had anything to do with that.. Callahan knows he is done so some of you are right he is just taking his shots before he leaves town.. Look the idiot didnt even stay on the field with his team to sing in front of the student section.. No class idiot good bye

The difference was the team playing for the seniors, rather than for the coaches

If you listen to the full interview you'll hear perhaps the most shocking part of his statement. He said that he's built something like what they're doing at Texas Tech. Texas Tech!!! No sh!t our team is now like Texas Tech- first team to 70 wins. How does this guy think that Husker Nation will actually be okay with trying to be like Texas Tech???? I know, he's talking to his potential future employers, not Husker Nation. But man this guy sure has balls to say something like that as the Nebraska head coach.

:nutz:nutz:nutz:nutz:nutz:nutz:nutz

Yes--he got results with a 4th year junior.

My only question is, why does it take 4 years to learn the system when other schools have freshmen and sophomores that excel?

the system he is teaching is not for 1st or even 2nd year guys.......wasted talent sits on the bench for at least 2 years....no wonder even talented recruits seldom see the field for several years here.

Exactly--and that's why I question his ability as a college coach. When you've only got a kid for 4 years (less for a jc recruit) you need to use their athletic ability sooner.

Heck, even in the pros you need to get the stud rooks on the field asap.

i think he REALLY REALLY believes that HE is doing good job this year!!!!

but somehow it's just not his fault.

i don't give a rat's butt if Keller had 2 yards passing or broke every single record...i just wanted our guys to play with heart and have a CHANCE to win...Billy didn't provide either.

BC is a me guy -- I don't like how he, or any coach for that matter, refers to the team as "they" -- 'they played good at times.' or 'they practiced hard all week' blah blah.

Leaders use "WE" -- 'we did not excute and game plan well enough'

Listen to BC speak and count the number of times he uses "we" -- but don't hold your breath waiting, you'll pass out.

I may just be on the Scout Team, but I'll question one theme from this post -- and it's not just this poster, but others too -- lots of feelings out here about wanting the team to play with passion, tradition, and pride. Having a chance to win and compete hard, never give up -- it's kind of the 'it's all we ask as fans' theme and I'm not buying into it much.

It's about W's here, and at every other school, or at least the big time programs.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I believe that Bo Pellini, BC, Turner Gill, Vince Lombardi or anybody else could coach NU to 3-9, 4-8 type seasons and fans would be happy cuz the the team played hard every game and had a chance to win each one. A little dose of reality along with the passion, tradition and pride would be nice to see occasionally cuz those kinda records on a regular basis get ANYONE a ticket out of Lincoln, including the next guy.

:rollin This guy is unbelievable. I dont know that he will ever realize his inability to adapt is what will ultimately cost him his job......and eventually his career. This guy is taking credit for something he was forced to do. Had Keller not been hurt we probably would have never seen this. I just find this incredibly funny at this point. At the beginning of the season i was happy, mid-season i was angry, now i just dont care and find everthing Callahan says hillarious. This guy should be a comedian. Had he canned Coz's ass and shown some sort of improvement without being forced to make changes due to injury, i would be willing to give him another chance..........Now, Callahan you can burn in hell, or on whatever beach your going to take your buyout and sip Mai Tai's on :steam

blah blah blah blah fire callahan blah blah the head coach lost the games blah blah blah bogasm blah blah blah blah bring back the option blah blah blah i don't like him very much blah blah ever since he dated my mother blah blah blah blah he needs to yell more blah blah . . .

i think he REALLY REALLY believes that HE is doing good job this year!!!!

but somehow it's just not his fault.

i don't give a rat's butt if Keller had 2 yards passing or broke every single record...i just wanted our guys to play with heart and have a CHANCE to win...Billy didn't provide either.

BC is a me guy -- I don't like how he, or any coach for that matter, refers to the team as "they" -- 'they played good at times.' or 'they practiced hard all week' blah blah.

Leaders use "WE" -- 'we did not excute and game plan well enough'

Listen to BC speak and count the number of times he uses "we" -- but don't hold your breath waiting, you'll pass out.

I may just be on the Scout Team, but I'll question one theme from this post -- and it's not just this poster, but others too -- lots of feelings out here about wanting the team to play with passion, tradition, and pride. Having a chance to win and compete hard, never give up -- it's kind of the 'it's all we ask as fans' theme and I'm not buying into it much.

It's about W's here, and at every other school, or at least the big time programs.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I believe that Bo Pellini, BC, Turner Gill, Vince Lombardi or anybody else could coach NU to 3-9, 4-8 type seasons and fans would be happy cuz the the team played hard every game and had a chance to win each one. A little dose of reality along with the passion, tradition and pride would be nice to see occasionally cuz those kinda records on a regular basis get ANYONE a ticket out of Lincoln, including the next guy.

2 things come to mind.......we usually don't give up 70 or more points...TO ANYBODY!!!!!!!!!

the playcalling does not get worse as the game and season goes forward!!

we have seen way more than our share of this sh#t under callahan......wayyyyyyyy more!

although he has been excellent in all phases of coaching....... chuckleshuffle:sarcasm