Biggest decision in program's history.....

HANC

If Bo is the next coach, he will only be here for 4-6 years till he gets an NFL gig.

If it were to be Turner Gill, he would be here till he retired, mainly because he is a part of the tradition.

Agree completely that pelini's tenure would last until a good NFL opportunity arises.

But Gill or Pelini won't last 4-6 years UNLESS THEY WIN!! and win right away, no down years allowed.

NU has no patience for less.

Solich was six years, cally was four-- the next one may not even get four years. The trend is to give them less time-- not more.

The coaching revolving door is warming up.

BEAT CU!!

i don't agree. if you hire a decent guy and see the schemes, coaching and effort on the field, people will be patient enough to give him time to build up the program. as many have said, we have some decent talent here right now, a new coach could come in and turn this thing around pretty quickly.

with cally, it will simply be more of the same old sh#t......he only knows one way and that way doesn't work.

Opinions vary. It could turn around pretty quickly and go down the tubes as just as easily ...

Keep in mind-- there is absolutely no guarantee that the next staff will be any better than the current one.

They could be better....

The next staff could be successful and have several winning seasons, maybe even a few 9 or 10 win ones-- hell, maybe even get to a MNC game in a decade or so.

or worse....

They could flop, have a 2-10 year next year and never sniff a winning season, be gone in two or three years and start this crap all over again.

WHO KNOWS!!

Maybe Zac Taylor is right, this season was a fluke. Maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm sure the fans and media "experts" know more than he does.

BTW--- if TO throws the baby out with the bathwater- I hope he gets PJ for the next HC. I also hope the next HC gets a 10 year contract with a VERY expensive severance package. The revolving door needs to STOP!!!

BEAT CU!!

the system and phone book size playbook is NOT what college kids need to be overwhelmed with. it just limits the freshman and sophomore talent available from seeing the field or helping make am impact.

the other thing i think that hurts is the kids are so challenged with studying shifts and formations, they never get a chance to practice fundamentals and execution. i think this is exactly what we are seeing on the field, inability to execute on defense, poor tackling skills, being out of position, etc.

the focus should be on doing a few basic things really well. the criticism is well known regarding the lack of work ethic and hitting in practice and it shows in the effort on the field.

we have no attitude, no chemistry, no blackshirt pride. we just line up and hope for the best. you can't tell me for a minute that something fundamentally is not missing, i just won't buy that argument or the fact that these coaches are not responsible.

i am sorry, but cally and coz really are clueless. i honestly don't think that either of them could land a job in college ball right now, so why would we want to keep them??

HUnter.....nothing personal, because I don't totally disagree with you, but please go back and re-read the VERY 1ST LINE OF THIS THREAD.......we are not discussing whether or not a change needs to be made..... you can find that arruement on about 40 other threads......

this one is concerning the decision that TO is about to make and HOW BIG IT IS !!!! I don't believe that Husker Nation has the patience to give ANYONE more thatn 3-4 years to win.... Hence, if TO's guy doesn't win....revolving door it is.....

That is what we are trying to discuss on this thread......

Funny.... when cally beat Michigan and won the B12 north, no one thought they were clueless. Folks rushed out there and bought order restored T-shirts.

They had a down year and hit a BRUTAL schedule and now they are clueless, and ___________ (fill in the blank).

Why would you keep them?? One word--

CONTINUITY.

NU used to have it. Most teams benefit from it.

The nasty negative records are already broken folks. A new staff doesn't make them go away.

It COULD get better. The system is in place, the offense with Ganz looks very good. Just some defensive tweaks and more experience- voila, a good season is on the horizon.

Or start over.

ya rolls the dice and takes yer chances.

Opinions vary.

PJ for HC.

BEAT CU!!

If Bo is the next coach, he will only be here for 4-6 years till he gets an NFL gig.

If it were to be Turner Gill, he would be here till he retired, mainly because he is a part of the tradition.

Agree completely that pelini's tenure would last until a good NFL opportunity arises.

But Gill or Pelini won't last 4-6 years UNLESS THEY WIN!! and win right away, no down years allowed.

Solich was six years, cally was four-- the next one may not even get four years. The trend is to give them less time-- not more.

BEAT CU!!

i don't agree. if you hire a decent guy and see the schemes, coaching and effort on the field, people will be patient enough to give him time to build up the program. as many have said, we have some decent talent here right now, a new coach could come in and turn this thing around pretty quickly.

with cally, it will simply be more of the same old sh#t......he only knows one way and that way doesn't work.

Opinions vary. It could turn around pretty quickly and go down the tubes as just as easily ...

Keep in mind-- there is absolutely no guarantee that the next staff will be any better than the current one.

They could be better....

The next staff could be successful and have several winning seasons, maybe even a few 9 or 10 win ones-- hell, maybe even get to a MNC game in a decade or so.

or worse....

They could flop, have a 2-10 year next year and never sniff a winning season, be gone in two or three years and start this crap all over again.

WHO KNOWS!!

Maybe Zac Taylor is right, this season was a fluke. Maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm sure the fans and media "experts" know more than he does.

BTW--- if TO throws the baby out with the bathwater- I hope he gets PJ for the next HC. I also hope the next HC gets a 10 year contract with a VERY expensive severance package. The revolving door needs to STOP!!!

BEAT CU!!

i don't know why everyone is suddenly so concerned about the "revolving door" aspect.

let's look at his thing objectively for a moment.

steve pederson was wrong for NU, he was an arrogant, devisive AD and he f'd up the whole atheletic department to one degree or another. TO has gotten some folks to come back, so the healing process has begun.

steve pederson, in his mind, just wanted to make a change, he wanted solich out, but honestly, he had no idea/plan to replace him, he just wanted him out. he tried to get nutt, but only succeeded in getting him a raise and then 10 days after cally gets fired from the raiders, he gets cally to come on board.

how much thought do you think pederson put into this hire? i will help you with that answer....zero, none!

he took what was available and went for the Hollywood charm of an NFL coach (remember, ped liked glamour) who had just torn his team apart and finished the season at 4-10 or something like that.....so what did we get? a proven guy who won a Super Bowl the year before, but had just watched his team collaspe in one season.

was there any proof this guy could coach or relate to college athletes? nope, but we now suddenly had an NFL coach, who would bring glory and fame to a Husker program on the slide.

when Solich got Bo Pelini, he was still about 2 or 3 more hires from getting a staff that could recruit and change the offensive strategy, but pederson wasn't patient enough to let that play out. he took a guy on the sly, extended his contract this year with no basis for saying "he has exceeded my expectations" (what a f'ing joke!) and basically put the bat up Husker Nations's ass, there is no other way to put it.

there is no embarassment for admitting that we hired a bad AD and a bad coach and moving on. i would not expect this to happen every 4 years and neither would anyone else, but to not cut our losses would be hugely foolish in my opinion.

The people spouting how Husker fans (except for themselves I guess?) have no patience, well you're right. I for one have no patience for the sum of what I've seen these last for years and then fed bull about how "excellent" things are.

If one can can the sanctimony, one will find that this is about a head coach that has done nothing but blow sunshine, but cant get the results to match the arrogance. In my lifetime (35) there has never been a coach (head or assistant) so unreceptive to the fan base and the SUCCESS of the programs traditions. Most NU fans didnt start off not liking Callahan. Some fans were skeptical, and rightfully so, and Callahan had every opportunity to win those fans over. He failed, not as much on the field, but in his (and some of his assistants) negative response to adversity.

The next coach will be given ample support and opportunity to prove himself unless he acts like a conceited ass to the fan base. The vast majority of fans could live with a down year like this, and some of the strange losses we've seen, in the early going of a new regime if we can buy in to what the coach is selling. At this point Callahan would need a personallity transplant to garner the support we'd all like Husker fans to provide to the head coach.

Give "us" Husker fans some credit. We CAN see the forest through the trees. This is a knowledgable fan base. I'm thinking some of you havent been around long enough to realize that.

(end rant)

I would hope to think that you aren't referring to my posts..... because, yes, I have been around long enough, and yes , longer than you by a bit......... I suppose you didn't buy into the order restored shirts that were the HOT item just 2 years ago...... I am with everyone on making a change, but don't spout off stuff about how you know Husker nation has "patience" because all of the proof says differently.......

TO was the only one Husker nation had patience with, and it wasn't all pretty along the way....if you can remember that...during the early-mid 80's when we got smoked by Miami, FSU all the time..... Hell, he was told that if he didn't win the Bluebonet bowl, he would have been fired.....

once again, if the "us" as referring to Husker Nation was a hint that at my post, you really don't have much of a clue, becuase sometimes, the "us" are the one's who haven't been around the block enough...

Show me where the patience has been, and I will agree..... and don't try to tell me that after the Michigan win, and the NORth title that "most" of Husker Nation thought that bC was truly the man..... if you disagree, just do some research on past posts on this board earlier this spring, summer, and fall.....

Okay, my rant is over.....and if your post wasn't directed at me, then I truly apologize for the above rant, and accept the fact that I misjudged your post....

BEAT CU!!

They could be better....

or worse....

WHO KNOWS!!

BEAT CU!!

i don't know why everyone is suddenly so concerned about the "revolving door" aspect.

let's look at his thing objectively for a moment.

steve pederson was wrong for NU, he was an arrogant, devisive AD and he f'd up the whole atheletic department to one degree or another. TO has gotten some folks to come back, so the healing process has begun.

steve pederson, in his mind, just wanted to make a change, he wanted solich out, but honestly, he had no idea/plan to replace him, he just wanted him out. he tried to get nutt, but only succeeded in getting him a raise and then 10 days after cally gets fired from the raiders, he gets cally to come on board.

how much thought do you think pederson put into this hire? i will help you with that answer....zero, none!

he took what was available and went for the Hollywood charm of an NFL coach (remember, ped liked glamour) who had just torn his team apart and finished the season at 4-10 or something like that.....so what did we get? a proven guy who won a Super Bowl the year before, but had just watched his team collaspe in one season.

was there any proof this guy could coach or relate to college athletes? nope, but we now suddenly had an NFL coach, who would bring glory and fame to a Husker program on the slide.

when Solich got Bo Pelini, he was still about 2 or 3 more hires from getting a staff that could recruit and change the offensive strategy, but pederson wasn't patient enough to let that play out. he took a guy on the sly, extended his contract this year with no basis for saying "he has exceeded my expectations" (what a f'ing joke!) and basically put the bat up Husker Nations's ass, there is no other way to put it.

there is no embarassment for admitting that we hired a bad AD and a bad coach and moving on. i would not expect this to happen every 4 years and neither would anyone else, but to not cut our losses would be hugely foolish in my opinion.

I agree with most of your post, but Pederson thought he had Wannstedt since he was most likely going to be fired from Miami Dolphins. The the Dolphins owner kept him for another season and SP was screwed. He had no backup plan and he got more of a backlash with the firing of a coach with a 9-3 record from most of the coaches, that no one would touch it. Then came BC falling out of sky and SP needed a big name to take the egg off his face.

Oklahoma was lucky most of these people that complain about revolving door were'nt making the decision there or Schellenberger would have been there for 5 years instead of the one.

there is no embarassment for admitting that we hired a bad AD

Who was the former Coach that give that bad Hire of an AD his full endorsement? I believe it is the guy that is going to hire the next football coach. Just something to think about. <_<

yup, even TO got fooled by Pederson. sometimes appearances can be deceiving. fooled Pearlman too.