The Biggest Embarrassment...

robsker

in the fall of the Husker program has been the fan response.

The fan base, as represented here and elsewhere has embarrassed the state of Nebraska far worse than has the football team. The response to the fall of the football team has been far, far worse than has the fall itself. The fan base needs to get a life. Losing in a football game happens 1/2 the time, by definition. Fans should expect that over time your team will eventually struggle. Our teams struggles have been few and very, very far between. That the program is down is, in and of itself, not a big issue --- nothing to get worked up over. We'll be back, in due course. We have no right to expect excellence all the time. Why are we so special?

So, really the worst thing that has come from the fall of the program is that many Nebraska fans have been shown to be terrible losers, expressing an arrogant sense of entitlement and a childish sense of being poor sports. Of course this indictment does not include everyone or perhaps even most fans --- but enough fans have been unsportsmanlike and ridiculous in their behavior that the fan base at Nebraska is rightly viewed now as no different than any other collective fan base. We are great if we win and not when we lose.

The team will likely get better and recover. Will the fans?

Callahan is that you disguised as robsker??

Wally --- I like that :)

No, I am not Callahan. I do however think that right and reasonable behavior is it's own reward and that it would be great if we as a fan base were classy and great sports in both victory and in defeat.

Nebraska is a great place. We long ago had to leave Nebraska for a job but still see that state as a special place. Frankly, I have been surprised that we as fans have been so classless (again, not everyone, but many). Perhaps it is just an outcrop of the internet age --- anyone can post in representation of a group and all it takes is certain critical mass of posters with poor behavior before the thing goes south. In any event, I, and I can only speak for myself, am more saddened by the fan response than what it that the fans are responding to.

I could give a sh#t less that we are viewed the same as any other fanbase. Who cares? Are other peoples opinions about us so terribly important?

No. Others opinions are not the issue. Character is the issue. Reputation cannot be controlled and should therefore not be the issue. Character is however controllable and this is what has, at least generally speaking, not been controlled well.

No, I am not Callahan. I do however think that right and reasonable behavior is it's own reward and that it would be great if we as a fan base were classy and great sports in both victory and in defeat.

Nebraska is a great place. We long ago had to leave Nebraska for a job but still see that state as a special place. Frankly, I have been surprised that we as fans have been so classless (again, not everyone, but many). Perhaps it is just an outcrop of the internet age --- anyone can post in representation of a group and all it takes is certain critical mass of posters with poor behavior before the thing goes south. In any event, I, and I can only speak for myself, am more saddened by the fan response than what it that the fans are responding to.

It's not the entire fan base...it's just them damn hillbillies from Cozad. <_<

I sometimes wonder just like many people what it takes for fans to be satisfied when it comes to a football team. A lot of people on here talk about "style points" and being competative. What if we go 10-2 in the regular season but get get blown out two times in an embarassing fasion....are people still pissed? Someone posted numbers about KU's football schedule this year and as we can all see....they have not played a very strong schedule at all....and some very very poor defenses. However they are 10-0 right now. Most people have not taken the time to look at the numbers....they just see an undefeated team. Sure there is plenty to talk about with this but I wonder if fans get more hostile and negative when there are coaching woes and a general digust for how things are being run.

Don't judge the fan base by the actions of a few idiots.

I'm very unhappy with how the team played this season. I'm also unhappy with the coaching staff and am ready for changes, and no, I was not a fan of Steve Pederson. But you know what, like most Husker fans I did not yell at the kids of the coaches, I did not make threats, I didn't even boo at the games. I did voice my frustration on this board, and with family and friends, and I have every right to do so. I have been a fan since birth and will be to my death and if I feel that my team, the team I love, isn't playing to their potentional, I have a right to say so.

The Haymakers! Go HOLDREGE DUSTERS!

The fan base, as represented here and elsewhere has embarrassed the state of Nebraska far worse than has the football team. The response to the fall of the football team has been far, far worse than has the fall itself. The fan base needs to get a life. Losing in a football game happens 1/2 the time, by definition. Fans should expect that over time your team will eventually struggle. Our teams struggles have been few and very, very far between. That the program is down is, in and of itself, not a big issue --- nothing to get worked up over. We'll be back, in due course. We have no right to expect excellence all the time. Why are we so special?

So, really the worst thing that has come from the fall of the program is that many Nebraska fans have been shown to be terrible losers, expressing an arrogant sense of entitlement and a childish sense of being poor sports. Of course this indictment does not include everyone or perhaps even most fans --- but enough fans have been unsportsmanlike and ridiculous in their behavior that the fan base at Nebraska is rightly viewed now as no different than any other collective fan base. We are great if we win and not when we lose.

:yeah

I agree with you 110% because Nebraska Football is the heart and soul of this state and when people act like this, this whole state is being judged by one bad apple. I'm like every Husker fan out there, I'm getting frustrated with this season and this coaching staff, and the lack of heart that some of these football players provide.

It's common sense and inappropriate to act in such mannor when your favorite team is down in the dumps that you have to make death threats.....WOW get a freakin life. It's not over, Husker football will be back better than ever next year when we have in state walk-ons, a new coaching staff, and a better record.

It aggravates me when i hear sh#t like this because I wear that "The Greatest Fans in College Football" on my sleeve because I'm proud about our football team, our tradition, our loyality, and our fans. Some of the Husker fans need to grow up and look ahead to brighter things to come.

Tell your friends, relatives, girlfriend, or co-workers to address fellow Husker fans to adjust through this difficult time and be the best fans that a college football team like Nebraska deserves. This season as been a total nightmare and these fans acting like this isn't making this season any better.

And for those of you who talk crap about Colorado, Kansas, or Mizzo fans are the worst is college football are pretty much eating your own words because right now, WE ARE NO BETTER. You don't hear their fans yelling at the players or their fans calling in death threats or picking on the coaches players. I know it's only a majority of people doing this on our program but it makes us proud husker fans look like crap too when we are trying to show the title "Greatest Fans in College Football" for the state of Nebraska.

TELL YOUR FRIENDS, RELATIVES, OR CO-WORKERS WHO ARE HUSKER FANS TO KEEP UP THE FAITH BECAUSE RESTORE THE ORDER IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER. NOV 24TH BABY

:yeah

I agree with you 110% because Nebraska Football is the heart and soul of this state and when people act like this, this whole state is being judged by one bad apple. I'm like every Husker fan out there, I'm getting frustrated with this season and this coaching staff, and the lack of heart that some of these football players provide.

It's common sense and inappropriate to act in such mannor when your favorite team is down in the dumps that you have to make death threats.....WOW get a freakin life. It's not over, Husker football will be back better than ever next year when we have in state walk-ons, a new coaching staff, and a better record.

It aggravates me when i hear sh#t like this because I wear that "The Greatest Fans in College Football" on my sleeve because I'm proud about our football team, our tradition, our loyality, and our fans. Some of the Husker fans need to grow up and look ahead to brighter things to come.

Tell your friends, relatives, girlfriend, or co-workers to address fellow Husker fans to adjust through this difficult time and be the best fans that a college football team like Nebraska deserves. This season as been a total nightmare and these fans acting like this isn't making this season any better.

And for those of you who talk crap about Colorado, Kansas, or Mizzo fans are the worst is college football are pretty much eating your own words because right now, WE ARE NO BETTER. You don't hear their fans yelling at the players or their fans calling in death threats or picking on the coaches players. I know it's only a majority of people doing this on our program but it makes us proud husker fans look like crap too when we are trying to show the title "Greatest Fans in College Football" for the state of Nebraska.

TELL YOUR FRIENDS, RELATIVES, OR CO-WORKERS WHO ARE HUSKER FANS TO KEEP UP THE FAITH BECAUSE RESTORE THE ORDER IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER. NOV 24TH BABY

:yeah I agree 111%! Finally people talking the TRUTH!

Don't judge the fan base by the actions of a few idiots.

I'm very unhappy with how the team played this season. I'm also unhappy with the coaching staff and am ready for changes, and no, I was not a fan of Steve Pederson. But you know what, like most Husker fans I did not yell at the kids of the coaches, I did not make threats, I didn't even boo at the games. I did voice my frustration on this board, and with family and friends, and I have every right to do so. I have been a fan since birth and will be to my death and if I feel that my team, the team I love, isn't playing to their potentional, I have a right to say so.

agree. i think most folks are saying the program and the players deserve much better than Ped or Cally have given this team....you don't excell by wallowing in the same sh#t hole every year. time to move on in hopes of making some better choices. T.O. is back, that's a start, from this point we do need to move back to a coach that understands the tradition and college coaching, not a professional x's and o's guy.

What do you come to this board to do...find out what the score was last week and leave? Fans have the right to express their opinions, as long as they don't make personal attacks or threats to anyone.

I may not agree with you, but I will allow you to express yourself, but expect to be able to do the same. You say that the response of the fans have been bad? Wrong...these are fans that are expressing their displeasure at a system that has been terrible. Bad fans would keep their mouths shut and just accept it as par for the course. The fans in Nebraska know what it is to win...and expect to be competitive, which this team has been neither. They have watched one of the top defenses be run into the ground literally....damn right we are going to have something to say about it, no matter what you or anyone else thinks. What would you do...sit on your butt and take the attitude that it was okay to be at the bottom, because someone has to be? That is not good enough for me....and I WILL express my feelings about it...you just go ahead and sit on your butt, and choose to criticize the fans...what are you going to do...hire new ones? You better learn to live with them...or better yet, become one.

I agree. Its those damn Haymakers.

When I was growing up in Lexington I had a great hatred for Cozad. I didnt understand why but now I know!!!

Thanks Cy