The Turnover War

Did anyone see the Oregon/Arizona game last night? Let me get to my point here about the Huskers with this. Oregon beat AZ in every statistical catagory and some by a large margin. There was one little stat that they did not do so well in....TURNOVERS. Oregon had 3 INTERCEPTIONS and 1 FUMBLE. This was a very mediocre AZ team that should have never beaten Oregon. It only reinforces the fact that turnovers will decide a game quicker than anything else out there.

It is unfortunate the Huskers, along with a struggling defense, has turned the ball over in droves this year. We rank near the bottom of DIV I schools in turnover margin. I don't think it takes anyone smart to figure out that has ripped us hard this year and given away TONS of points as well.

Can you put this blame on coaching staff? I'm, sure one of the first things any running back coach teaches their players is protecting the ball. You can't say that they didn't try to do things about it. You all saw the times Castille fumbled the ball.....he was yanked right away. Obvious reasons why we did not see him as much as people would have liked. I, for one, wish he was in there more....but he definitely had fumble issues.

There isn't really one area you can blame on a football team for turnovers. You can get turnovers from having good secondary coverage i.e. sacks, interceptions, hurried passes, etc. Also when the glory day Huskers hit people, it was like they had c4 explosives taped to their shoulder pads, and when they hit people the player on the receiving end just got BLOWN up.

Did anyone see the Oregon/Arizona game last night? Let me get to my point here about the Huskers with this. Oregon beat AZ in every statistical catagory and some by a large margin. There was one little stat that they did not do so well in....TURNOVERS. Oregon had 3 INTERCEPTIONS and 1 FUMBLE. This was a very mediocre AZ team that should have never beaten Oregon. It only reinforces the fact that turnovers will decide a game quicker than anything else out there.

It is unfortunate the Huskers, along with a struggling defense, has turned the ball over in droves this year. We rank near the bottom of DIV I schools in turnover margin. I don't think it takes anyone smart to figure out that has ripped us hard this year and given away TONS of points as well.

Can you put this blame on coaching staff? I'm, sure one of the first things any running back coach teaches their players is protecting the ball. You can't say that they didn't try to do things about it. You all saw the times Castille fumbled the ball.....he was yanked right away. Obvious reasons why we did not see him as much as people would have liked. I, for one, wish he was in there more....but he definitely had fumble issues.

The problem might have been that Oregons QB (Which some people had high on their Heisman list) got hurt and the backup QB was not a good fit to run the same kind of offense.

There isn't really one area you can blame on a football team for turnovers. You can get turnovers from having good secondary coverage i.e. sacks, interceptions, hurried passes, etc. Also when the glory day Huskers hit people, it was like they had c4 explosives taped to their shoulder pads, and when they hit people the player on the receiving end just got BLOWN up.

Exactly, you're not going to get interceptions when you're playing 10 yards off the ball and allowing the receiver to catch a 5-8 yard pass, then run another 3-4 before he even gets to you, then by the time we miss a tackle the gain is all of a sudden 15 yards. This soft zone/man defense has killed us all year.

Not sure why the one poster thought I am trying to take blame off of Callahan and the coaches. That was not the point of this post at all. The point is that turnovers are a HUGE turning point in any football game. I hope that most people on here could agree with that at least in some sense. I fully realize there are many many factors that go along with it as well...many variables. Tipped passes for one, that is just pure chance sometimes on those. Many times those fall to the ground, or the guy had his hand exactly the right place at the right time, or someone happened to be close to make an interception. There are tons of situations that is part of playing any sporting game. At the same time there are plenty of things that can be controlled like holding on to the football. I know the game is full contact and players are moving at very high speeds. There are plenty of people that are taught how to effectively secure a ball though. Learning when to throw a ball away instead of forcing it into coverage. I'm not any expert on sports or football for that matter. Just making observations that are pretty clear and obvious.

Not sure why the one poster thought I am trying to take blame off of Callahan and the coaches. That was not the point of this post at all.

This is just a guess, but it just might have something to do with this statement:

Can you put this blame on coaching staff? I'm, sure one of the first things any running back coach teaches their players is protecting the ball. You can't say that they didn't try to do things about it...

The point is that turnovers are a HUGE turning point in any football game. I hope that most people on here could agree with that at least in some sense.
This is a lot like hoping people can agree that the ball is oblong or the field is 100 yards from goal line to goal line. Who wouldn't agree with this? But that's not the point you were making, or if it was, you went about it in an exceedingly odd way.
I'm not any expert on sports or football for that matter. Just making observations that are pretty clear and obvious.

If they're so obvious, what makes you think they need to be made?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but the question is worth asking: What benefit is it to the rest of us if you just state the obvious? Are you thinking that we aren't understanding what should be obvious things, and that's why you're posting?

Sometimes you all crack me up on here. I think I am guilty just as everyone else. How many thosands of posts on here have people been saying "Callahan sucks....Cosgrove sucks....our defense is bad...." Seems to be that is pretty blatant obvious stuff that everyone here knows but many people state over and over again. I don't think I am any different than anyone else on here. Sorry if my posts are more than just fumbled words thrown together with cute smiley faces on there.

I am just posting my views on football matters and such just like everyone else on here. Most everything posted on here are things many people know or realize or have seen with their own eyes. I'm just making conversation.

And as for my point about turnovers is that I have not scoured these boards hour after hour to find related posts, but so much of the talk on here has been about the horrid defense, and our piss poor coaches. I was bringing up a topic that I personally have not seen brought up before or talked about much. Again, I will be the first to apologize if I was way too elementary in talking about it. Sorry if I was not meeting the high standard of sophistication that apparently some people expect around here haha.

The problem might have been that Oregons QB (Which some people had high on their Heisman list) got hurt and the backup QB was not a good fit to run the same kind of offense.

Without Dixon, it turns out that Oregon is a very average if not mediocre team.. Brady Leaf wasn't the only guy that couldn't get it done last night......