Why no mention of Kiffin(s)?

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but I really want to know the answer (and evidently the search function has been disabled on this board, which may contain a previous post that answers it)

Granted, I've been out of state for over 30 years now, but I check the LJS and OWH for Husker news all the time, and try to read as much as I can on here - especially the speculation about any replacement for BC. Is there some kind of past history I'm not aware of?

I've talked in depth to John O'Leary (current long snapper T.J.'s dad), former I-Back, who was recruited by Monte out of a Catholic school in New York, who says that Monte and/or Lane would be a great fit for our school. I've seen the "I would have taken it if they asked me" quote from Monte after the last coaching search we did.

So why not Monte? Too old? Why not Lane? Too pro? (I hate to make this comparison, but I'm sure by now Lane is as sick of Oakland Al as Callahan was. Al is the Steinbrenner of pro football, kind of like we have to deal with Dan Snyder out here in Redskinsland)

Why not Monte as HC with Lane as a coordinator groomed to take over?

Turnout gear at the ready, SCBA donned, let the flames begin....

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but I really want to know the answer (and evidently the search function has been disabled on this board, which may contain a previous post that answers it)

Granted, I've been out of state for over 30 years now, but I check the LJS and OWH for Husker news all the time, and try to read as much as I can on here - especially the speculation about any replacement for BC. Is there some kind of past history I'm not aware of?

I've talked in depth to John O'Leary (current long snapper T.J.'s dad), former I-Back, who was recruited by Monte out of a Catholic school in New York, who says that Monte and/or Lane would be a great fit for our school. I've seen the "I would have taken it if they asked me" quote from Monte after the last coaching search we did.

So why not Monte? Too old? Why not Lane? Too pro? (I hate to make this comparison, but I'm sure by now Lane is as sick of Oakland Al as Callahan was. Al is the Steinbrenner of pro football, kind of like we have to deal with Dan Snyder out here in Redskinsland)

Why not Monte as HC with Lane as a coordinator groomed to take over?

Turnout gear at the ready, SCBA donned, let the flames begin....

Lane said on the Jim Rome show a couple of weeks ago, that he thinks Monte would take the job if offered, and knows for sure he would've taken it 4 years ago. I think Monte grooming Lane would be great. Probably won't happen, though.

Monte would have been a solid option after TO left but now he is just too old to start a new job.

Considering he has the unenviable job of working for Al Davis Lane might be tempted to leave. Lane as HC, Monte as DC would be better. Then you don't have to worry about continuity.

But there are guys I'd take before Lane Kiffin.

Do you really want another failed Oakland Raiders coach?

I don't follow the NFL much, but living this close to Bidwell's Cardinals has led me to the conclusion that Ownership has the most influence on whether or not an NFL franchise is successful..

They've gone through several coaches who although not perfect, would almost certainly had much better success if they'd gotten better players or at least taken a more proactive approach to signing their Rookies and free agents before pre-season games are over with.

Few NFL coaches last more than 5 years before the song ends and it's time to switch chairs.

Look at Lane's performance under Norm Chow while they were at USC, and then not skipping a beat after Norm left.

I look at that as just a coincidence. Does the fact that the source organization would be the Raiders mean you wouldn't take Tom Rathman?

Lane is not going to leave the Raiders after being head coach for one years, plus he has no real ties to Nebraska...Monte would have taken the job had the former A.D. called...as it sits now..., Monte has grandchildren, he's 66, granted, it wouldn't completely suprise me is Osborne pulled him from behind the curtain.

I look at that as just a coincidence. Does the fact that the source organization would be the Raiders mean you wouldn't take Tom Rathman?

Lane is not going to leave the Raiders after being head coach for one years, plus he has no real ties to Nebraska...Monte would have taken the job had the former A.D. called...as it sits now..., Monte has grandchildren, he's 66, granted, it wouldn't completely suprise me is Osborne pulled him from behind the curtain.

and if it happened it would, to me, be like our current AD situation.. a permanent interim deal.. where literally he would just be holding down the reins until lane can come in and take the job

and if it happened it would, to me, be like our current AD situation.. a permanent interim deal.. where literally he would just be holding down the reins until lane can come in and take the job

Which is exactly what would happen. I've been in the Kiffin Camp for a while now. Monte comes as Head coach, Lane comes to work with dad. Oh, and for people that think Lane wouldn't leave Oakland after one year, he wouldn't be the first to get sick of AL Davis and take off as soon as another opportunity came along.

And that opportunity would be HC at Nebraska in, say 5 years when Monte decides to retire. By then Lane has absorbed Husker tradition...probably already a homer since Monte is..I'm sure he was raised on the Big Red.....

And it fits the temp[late. Monte has the class and personality to be here, he can get the recruits and so could Lane. And Monte is an old time Friend of Osborne's as well. So there's a long time connection all the way back to the Devaney era like there was with Solich.

Just has the ring of truth to me. We'll know soon.

I would like to see that happen, and it still could. I think TO and Monte have gotten closer as the years have gone on. I don't think there was that great friendship back in the 70's or Monte would not have left when TO was announced as head coach. I know he wanted the job himself and he did leave to go to another "college" job. Okl started killing us once he left and it took TO a while to get someone in to slow down that wishbone, they ran down our throats. I don't think he will get the job this time either.

GBR!!!

I would like to see that happen, and it still could. I think TO and Monte have gotten closer as the years have gone on. I don't think there was that great friendship back in the 70's or Monte would not have left when TO was announced as head coach. I know he wanted the job himself and he did leave to go to another "college" job. Okl started killing us once he left and it took TO a while to get someone in to slow down that wishbone, they ran down our throats. I don't think he will get the job this time either.

GBR!!!

Yeah but that's just it. He didn't leave as soon as Osborne was hired. He went to Arkansas in '77.