Wow I am going to get blasted but

Travis9

Why not seven, so we can time it with the Locusts?

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

If that's ok with you.

I said six minimum, but seven, eight, hell, ten , works for me.

HCs need TIME to get the players in, build a system and teach it to the players, tweak it, get it stabilized. Solich could have used another year or two (eight).

We have seen what Ganz, a QB that's been in the cally system for a few years and knows it, is capable of. 900 yards passing, new school records in TWO games. What would a WHOLE SEASON look like?

While some players have been in the system for a while, many haven't.

It's still in the tweak stage. There's more there folks.

But we'll never see the full effect will we? GOTTA HAVE THEM WINS NOW!!

Remember, as impossible as it may be to picture. The next system COULD be worse.

ya rolls the dice, ya take yer chances.

BEAT CU!!

I feared the revolving door when Ped got rid of Frank.

THe main difference in my attitude this time around, is I'm not seeing a longterm bennefit of keeping this one (Callly).

If Callahan was given another year, a BIG problem might be what if he Does win 10-11 games? We'd probably be stuck with another 4 or 5 years of 6-7 win seasons for the rest of his contract.

(Once Ganz is gone, it'd take another back-up 3 years to "get the System")..We're not exactly known for playing backups anymore or developing depth.

THe "Dink & Dunk" is too reliant on the QB and won't win consistantly enough to go through a season with one loss or less.

Works in the NFL/Playoffs.

Let's face it...Huskers have a coach who was, what, the 5th choice. Al Saunders didn't want the job...Mike Zimmer didn't want it...Houston Nutt didn't want it. Bo and Turner were the two who wanted the job but Pederson didn't want them!

Perfect description of the Callahan hire:

"He was the most well-known name we knew nothing about in the Nebraska coaching search. Bill Callahan. Super Bowl coach. Intolerable hard ass. Admirable Al Davis victim. Run out of town before he was run down by his players. In the end, his most important trait was that he was available. A Raider coach on the rebound, lugging around a 4-12 record with no prospects except some offensive coordinator offers in the NFL. That and he is a coaching enigma, which is a fitting climax to one of the most bungled big-time college searches in recent memory.

A guy who is hard to peg being hired by a program that had to beg. Disclaimer: Callahan might win three national championships. He might be the Midwest equivalent of Pete Carroll. He deserves a chance, the same one Norm Chow, Frank Beamer and Mike Stoops would have gotten.

But that's the point isn't it? Athletic director Steve Pederson should have/could have failed to get at least one of those accomplished college coaches. We know for certain Chow would have listened, coming off a national championship at age 57.

Callahan is at least a fifth choice of Pederson. We know that Arkansas' Houston Nutt and Cowboys defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said no in the last week.

Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders was a hot item before removing his name. Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress was in the mix. Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt was either a candidate, a consultant or both.

This was a desperation hire. Look at the timing. Callahan didn't become available until Dec. 30 when he was fired. By that time Pederson was running out of options and time. Recruiting was, and is, taking a brutal hit. Interim coach Bo Pelini was campaigning for the job, leaving his number on Pederson's answering machine at one point.

Pederson couldn't give this job away and stubbornly didn't hand it to the one guy who would have killed for it.

If you're going to fire a decent man like Frank Solich after he won 75 percent of his games then you'd better have a plan. Pederson had a whole lot of nothing when it came to saving a gold-plated program.

The inexperience showed Saturday when Pederson felt compelled to call a press conference after nothing happened. Pederson emerged from his hole to admonish the media for attributing to him a $2.5 million offer to Nutt. Good, nice, Steve. We're irresponsible, you're in control. It's all so clear now.

Callahan comes highly recommended, no doubt, by Wisconsin's Barry Alvarez, a former Nebraska player and assistant coach. It was Alvarez who employed Callahan as an offensive line coach, but that was 10 years ago.

Unfortunately, Pederson was a search committee of one. Help was a phone call away if pride and inexperience hadn't intervened. After six weeks, Callahan was his answer to not surrendering the Big 12 to Texas and Oklahoma (Pederson's words).

To paraphrase an old joke, the N on that helmet now stands for N-igma. Two in fact."

Callahan had one thing going for him when he was hired...he was available. That'll be the only thing he has going for him when his new job search begins.

I think Callahan should stay if the following all happens:

1. The Defensive staff is overhauled. Wyatt, Busch, Coz, all of them go except Elmo.

2. He is told in no uncertain terms that he needs to let the position coaches coach more. Today he tells Wags how to block the plays. Wags is a very good coach and he needs to be able to Block the way he wants to block.

3. He needs to be told and to promise that a greater emphasis will be put on running the football.

4. He needs to be the CEO and give up the reigns of the offense to Watson.

The reasons i think this are:

1. A new coaching staff in its entirety sets a program back period.

2. There have been some good things offensively that he has done and installed.

3. our defensive coaches for the most part are out of their league here.

4. Cally has the best person in the world to turn to in order to figure out a run game

5. TO let his coaches coach, in the mid 70's he turned the entire run game over to Tenopir. He let him scheme the run game and block the run game how he felt best.

Cally has had a bad year but do we really want to risk our program on the selection of our next coach. Has Cally truly done that terrible of a job. I think Pedey was a much bigger problem than Cally in terms of changing the history and tradition of the program and of alientating the former players.

Will i be sad if he is fired, no? I just dont truly think that changin the whole staff is the best way to go.

TO has said he would not leave the staff hanging on his evaluation of them (i.e. they will know as they go along - it won't be "your fired" on Saturday unless they see it coming). My guess is that TO has already let BC know what changes should be made in the best interest of the program. It is my further guess that BC has flatly refused -- my only evidence; no recruits visiting for the K-State game and only in-state recruiting between the K-State and CU game.

TO has to move too quickly on a new HC for him not to be constantly talking to BC about what needs to happen. He can't wait until Saturday, then tell BC what changes need to be made, give BC a few days to think about it, then a week or so later fire him. TO has to already have a very short list of very interested candidates to salvage the recruiting class.

Well i have to say that i didnt come up with this on my own this idea and this plan came from someone that knows more about football than all of us on this board combined. someone that is close to TO and to the program. This is not inside information their isnt any, this is a former coaches perspective on what he feels should happen. Calling me an idiot is calling him an idiot

I ran your list by a friend of mine who is very close to the program, and for decades has been one of TO's best friends. He thinks it's ridiculous to put these kinds of stipulations on coaches.

I called another friend of mine who has been part of Lloyd Carr's coaching staff, and who may be considered for his job now that Carr is stepping down. He also thought it would be too hard to coach while have someone looking over your shoulder the whole time.

I texted another guy who was a player on the 95 and 97 Championship teams. He said that no coach would ever suggest this to another coach, so he thinks it's all made up.

I emailed another friend of mine who works in the front office of the San Diego Chargers. He doesn't think anyone would ever try to put these kinds of rules over a coach because that coach would be paralyzed and couldn't get anything done.

I faxed these to this guy I know who has been involved with Notre Dame football for 47 years and he says it's bunk.

I sent this by carrier pigeon to a friend who is close to Bob Stoops' staff and he said he wouldn't ever agree to any of these conditions.

I sent a telegram to a friend of mine who is close to SportsCenter staff in Bristol and he said he'd have to get it on the air right away, but they'd have to spell Callahan's and T.O.'s names wrong out of principle.

I contacted a guy close to Urban Meyer by personal messenger, and asked him to have Urban take a look. Urban said he'd never do these things and that the list was probably made up by someone who doesn't know much about football.

I used smoke signals to get ahold of a friend of mine who is close to the KC Chiefs staff, and he said this wouldn't work because the coach would always have to get permission to do anything.

Finally, I contacted Vince Lombardi in a seance after reading this and he said things I can't repeat on a family forum, then told me if someone gave this list to him he'd tell them to... put it in a physically impossible place.

So all of the guys I know who are very well-connected seem to think this is just the kind of story someone would make up and put on an internet message board, then claim it was legit because he cited some obscure "close to the program" source who he didn't name.

Weird, huh?

B+ in Creative writing. :thumbs

I love how everyone keeps saying that a coaching change will set us back. When we changed coaching staffs in 2004 it set us back and we are still moving backwards. This staff is gone. Period. TO would have had them out recruiting in the off week if there was a chance Cally would be retained, not touring the state looking for walk-ons.

And you're sure all that in-state recruiting had nothing to do with possibly improving on the walk-on program?

We don't need the entire staff touring the state looking for walk-ons to improve the program. Most of these young men will come on there own after a phone call.

Well i have to say that i didnt come up with this on my own this idea and this plan came from someone that knows more about football than all of us on this board combined. someone that is close to TO and to the program. This is not inside information their isnt any, this is a former coaches perspective on what he feels should happen. Calling me an idiot is calling him an idiot

I ran your list by a friend of mine who is very close to the program, and for decades has been one of TO's best friends. He thinks it's ridiculous to put these kinds of stipulations on coaches.

blahblahblahapplesauce by knapplc snipped

So all of the guys I know who are very well-connected seem to think this is just the kind of story someone would make up and put on an internet message board, then claim it was legit because he cited some obscure "close to the program" source who he didn't name.

Weird, huh?

B+ in Creative writing. :thumbs

I know. I didn't have my "A" material on this one. I gave it a good try, though. :)

I love how everyone keeps saying that a coaching change will set us back. When we changed coaching staffs in 2004 it set us back and we are still moving backwards. This staff is gone. Period. TO would have had them out recruiting in the off week if there was a chance Cally would be retained, not touring the state looking for walk-ons.

And you're sure all that in-state recruiting had nothing to do with possibly improving on the walk-on program?

We don't need the entire staff touring the state looking for walk-ons to improve the program. Most of these young men will come on there own after a phone call.

Next thing you know, we'll be sending the coaching staff to a neighboring town to a construction site in search of a "Board Stretcher" :rollin:rollin:rollin

But we have a coach who couldn't even recognize "a product of his system". This is the problem. Instead of focusing on what he has, he seems more interested in finding something that he doesn't have, kind of like a treasure hunter. Ganz only succeeded and is seeing the field for one reason and one reason only: Sam Keller's injury. It's impossible for any player to ever succeed if they never see the field.

Now he has.

Ganz has seen the field and will continue to. Doesn't matter how he got there. That's the past, it's history.

Picture an entire season with ganz running the cally syatem he knows so well.

The pieces may be falling together, unless ganz is a two game fluke. ;)

We'll know more after CU.

Who knows? Maybe that's why TO is waiting?? No win, no winning season, no bowl, goodbye cally??

Win and .... you are firing a bowl bound coach who went bowling 3 out of 4 years, won a B12 north title last season and had one losing season (in his first) in four years, the only time he was given. May not be an attractive home for a prospective HC.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

BEAT CU!!

Catchy cliche..

So..In this scenario, Who exactly is the "Baby" and who is the "Bathwater"?

What happens if Ganz gets sacked a little too hard in a game next season? Call off the rest of the season, because we don't have another QB with 4 years in the system?

But we have a coach who couldn't even recognize "a product of his system". This is the problem. Instead of focusing on what he has, he seems more interested in finding something that he doesn't have, kind of like a treasure hunter. Ganz only succeeded and is seeing the field for one reason and one reason only: Sam Keller's injury. It's impossible for any player to ever succeed if they never see the field.

Now he has.

Ganz has seen the field and will continue to. Doesn't matter how he got there. That's the past, it's history.

Who knows? Maybe that's why TO is waiting?? No win, no winning season, no bowl, goodbye cally??

Win and .... you are firing a bowl bound coach who went bowling 3 out of 4 years, won a B12 north title last season and had one losing season (in his first) in four years, the only time he was given. May not be an attractive home for a prospective HC.

BEAT CU!!

Catchy cliche..

What happens if Ganz gets sacked a little too hard in a game next season? Call off the rest of the season, because we don't have another QB with 4 years in the system?

"baby" is the ganz led offense , "Cally" is the bathwater.

If you lose the starter, you play your back-up.

BEAT CU!!

Now he has.

BEAT CU!!

Catchy cliche..

BEAT CU!!

I don't think Junior was throwing Ganz anywhere, He was just stating that Callahan would not have played him any this season if Sammy stayed healthy.

And Ganz isn't your typical Backup..(in ability at least).

With a "normal" coaching staff, the backup would've gotten a little mop-up duty just to stay sharp--just in case...He must've gotten his reps at home.

It WOULD be fun to see Ganzel run this offense as a 5th year Sr., But I wouldn't risk the long term future of the program just to give Callahan his 1 out of 5 good seasons/repeat cycle.

Now he has.

BEAT CU!!

Catchy cliche..

BEAT CU!!

I don't think Junior was throwing Ganz anywhere, He was just stating that Callahan would not have played him any this season if Sammy stayed healthy.

And Ganz isn't your typical Backup..(in ability at least).

With a "normal" coaching staff, the backup would've gotten a little mop-up duty just to stay sharp--just in case...He must've gotten his reps at home.

It WOULD be fun to see Ganzel run this offense as a 5th year Sr., But I wouldn't risk the long term future of the program just to give Callahan his 1 out of 5 good seasons/repeat cycle.

Is that his nickname now? the Great Ganzel :lol: Sounds like a muppet

...It WOULD be fun to see Ganzel run this offense as a 5th year Sr., But I wouldn't risk the long term future of the program just to give Callahan his 1 out of 5 good seasons/repeat cycle.

Is that his nickname now? the Great Ganzel :lol: Sounds like a muppet

Last name of an old friend of my roommate Freshman year..Lived down the end of the Hall of our dorm...No one knew his 1st name..(Only one on our floor that had an equalizer and a "freshman beard" with no bald spots).

I subconsciously keep using it for Ganz.. (I thought).

6. Think of this also, TO is interim AD. To get a quality coach in here the Interim tag would need to come off. A new coach would force TO to keep this job at least 4-5 more years. No good coach is going to accept this job knowing the AD that hired him will be gone in 2 years, that is job insecurity that they dont want.

What are you smokin'. No coach coming into Nebraska is going to tell TO what he is going to do. They know the situation coming in and should know that TO isn't going to hang them up to dry. IMO when TO decides to leave he will bring in an AD that will know what NEBRASKA FOOTBALL is about and the tradition and that person isn't going to be inclined to revamp a coaching staff that TO put into place.

6. Think of this also, TO is interim AD. To get a quality coach in here the Interim tag would need to come off. A new coach would force TO to keep this job at least 4-5 more years. No good coach is going to accept this job knowing the AD that hired him will be gone in 2 years, that is job insecurity that they dont want.

What are you smokin'. No coach coming into Nebraska is going to tell TO what he is going to do. They know the situation coming in and should know that TO isn't going to hang them up to dry. IMO when TO decides to leave he will bring in an AD that will know what NEBRASKA FOOTBALL is about and the tradition and that person isn't going to be inclined to revamp a coaching staff that TO put into place.

My guess it would probably be Dave Rimington but that would be just a guess.

My guess it would probably be Dave Rimington but that would be just a guess.

That would be my guess too. I know I am probably dreaming but I would like to see Alvarez before Rimington.