Wow I am going to get blasted but

Travis9

I think Callahan should stay if the following all happens:

1. The Defensive staff is overhauled. Wyatt, Busch, Coz, all of them go except Elmo.

2. He is told in no uncertain terms that he needs to let the position coaches coach more. Today he tells Wags how to block the plays. Wags is a very good coach and he needs to be able to Block the way he wants to block.

3. He needs to be told and to promise that a greater emphasis will be put on running the football.

4. He needs to be the CEO and give up the reigns of the offense to Watson.

The reasons i think this are:

1. A new coaching staff in its entirety sets a program back period.

2. There have been some good things offensively that he has done and installed.

3. our defensive coaches for the most part are out of their league here.

4. Cally has the best person in the world to turn to in order to figure out a run game

5. TO let his coaches coach, in the mid 70's he turned the entire run game over to Tenopir. He let him scheme the run game and block the run game how he felt best.

Cally has had a bad year but do we really want to risk our program on the selection of our next coach. Has Cally truly done that terrible of a job. I think Pedey was a much bigger problem than Cally in terms of changing the history and tradition of the program and of alientating the former players.

Will i be sad if he is fired, no? I just dont truly think that changin the whole staff is the best way to go.

In the words of Frank Caliendo (as Charles Barkley) "That was ter-able, TRBL, terable"

IF you have never heard this guy you have to watch this video.

(he does the ter-able Charles Barkley impression at 3:15) Watch this its awesome!!

I love how everyone keeps saying that a coaching change will set us back. When we changed coaching staffs in 2004 it set us back and we are still moving backwards. This staff is gone. Period. TO would have had them out recruiting in the off week if there was a chance Cally would be retained, not touring the state looking for walk-ons.

And you're sure all that in-state recruiting had nothing to do with possibly improving on the walk-on program?

I don't believe he cares about the walk-on program. He has something like 12 walk-ons this year, and has never done anything to recruit walk-ons. I really don't think some magical light came on in his head and said this is what I need to do to improve this program.

I love how everyone keeps saying that a coaching change will set us back. When we changed coaching staffs in 2004 it set us back and we are still moving backwards. This staff is gone. Period. TO would have had them out recruiting in the off week if there was a chance Cally would be retained, not touring the state looking for walk-ons.

And you're sure all that in-state recruiting had nothing to do with possibly improving on the walk-on program?

I don't believe he cares about the walk-on program. He has something like 12 walk-ons this year, and has never done anything to recruit walk-ons. I really don't think some magical light came on in his head and said this is what I need to do to improve this program.

We're getting side-tracked and off topic but the walk-on program has been alive and well since Callahan's arrival.

The Independent

Walk-ons aren't nearly as plentiful as they once were. In the early 1980s, with a freshman team on which to evaluate them, as many as 90 walk-ons checked out equipment in the fall.

Such numbers were relegated to history long before Callahan arrived. But they were used against him by those resistant to change and unwilling to consider context in evaluating him. Among other things, he was charged with raising the talent level. That meant emphasizing recruiting, focusing on high-profile scholarship players. And he did reduce the roster, which meant cutting walk-ons.

IMO, Callahan was in a damned if he does, damned if he doesn't situation with the Walk-on program. Had he continued with it at the level of Solich and Osborne, Callahan would have been accused of lackluster recruiting or not being able to recruit the top rated recruits. Instead, Callahan goes after top-rated recruits and now he's being accused of diminishing the value of the walk-on program.

We will have a new coach by next year for a few good reasons. If we weren't going to get a new head coach then TO would've said it right off the bat when he was hired as interm Athletic Director. TO has been evaluating BC ever since he was hired as AD and now he said that he won't make a discission until after the CU game. But with TO evaluating BC after the CU game pretty much indicates that BC is gone....remember that TO used this same method while coaching. If you fumbled the ball in pratice or you didn't run the route right that he would deduct points from you. He's using that same technique on BC and I know that he's been doing that to BC ever since the Texas A&M game.

C'mon people smell the roses, BC will be gone after the CU game whether they win or lose. He's already distroyed this program and his record and performance isn't National Championship worthy. He's made several rude remarks to fans and especially to TO and you guys think that BC will stay, hell he's not even making an effort to keep our recruits still interested in NU.

TO has already made his discission on a new coach and i can't wait till Saturday when they announce that new coach....please be Bo Pelini or Paul Johnson.

We're getting side-tracked and off topic but the walk-on program has been alive and well since Callahan's arrival.

The Independent

Walk-ons aren't nearly as plentiful as they once were. In the early 1980s, with a freshman team on which to evaluate them, as many as 90 walk-ons checked out equipment in the fall.

Such numbers were relegated to history long before Callahan arrived. But they were used against him by those resistant to change and unwilling to consider context in evaluating him. Among other things, he was charged with raising the talent level. That meant emphasizing recruiting, focusing on high-profile scholarship players. And he did reduce the roster, which meant cutting walk-ons.

IMO, Callahan was in a damned if he does, damned if he doesn't situation with the Walk-on program. Had he continued with it at the level of Solich and Osborne, Callahan would have been accused of lackluster recruiting or not being able to recruit the top rated recruits. Instead, Callahan goes after top-rated recruits and now he's being accused of diminishing the value of the walk-on program.

Please see my initial post. I am not criticizing BC for diminishing the walk-on program. I simply stated IF he were going to be here next year he would have been out talking with the big time recruits who are still on the fence as to whether or not to come to NU next year.

The only thing i have to say on this post is......ELMO? are you serious? he should be the first to go right behind his fearless leader Coz. He has needed to go since the day before he got here. seriously!!!

Was'nt he the one quoted as saying sacks are overated and the coaching staff believes that when you play a freshman it means one loss or something to that effect?

I like to know how the OP had come to the conclusion of keeping ELMO and getting rid of the rest of the defensive coaches was a good idea?

Why not seven, so we can time it with the Locusts?

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

If that's ok with you.

I said six minimum, but seven, eight, hell, ten , works for me.

HCs need TIME to get the players in, build a system and teach it to the players, tweak it, get it stabilized. Solich could have used another year or two (eight).

We have seen what Ganz, a QB that's been in the cally system for a few years and knows it, is capable of. 900 yards passing, new school records in TWO games. What would a WHOLE SEASON look like?

While some players have been in the system for a while, many haven't.

It's still in the tweak stage. There's more there folks.

But we'll never see the full effect will we? GOTTA HAVE THEM WINS NOW!!

Remember, as impossible as it may be to picture. The next system COULD be worse.

ya rolls the dice, ya take yer chances.

BEAT CU!!

I think there really is the problem. We all have been imagining what the season would have looked like if Ganz "a product of the system" would have played all season. Looking at what he's accomplished over the past two games has pi$$ed us off even more because now we're all imagining and thinking he should have been playing all along. What's even more remarkable about Ganz is the fact that he virtually had zero game time experience up to the KU game. IMO, this is just another nail in Clownahan's coffin.

I think there really is the problem. We all have been imagining what the season would have looked like if Ganz "a product of the system" would have played all season. Looking at what he's accomplished over the past two games has pi$$ed us off even more because now we're all imagining and thinking he should have been playing all along. What's even more remarkable about Ganz is the fact that he virtually had zero game time experience up to the KU game.

IMO, this is just another nail in Clownahan's coffin.

Or a reason to keep him. Rather than throw out the system ganz apparently can SUCCEED in, why not see what it can do?

Ganz may not even fit in the next system. The next coach may be looking for another drop back passer like Sam. Who knows?

This cally offense with the ganzinator at the helm looks great. By next fall, it could be a wonder to behold.

Get a new DC to patch up the defense and who knows what can happen.

or start over. Everyone assumes that a new coach will fix everything. There is no guarantee of that. Hell, it may even be against the odds.

What if it gets worse?

Wonder what 2-10 would be like in huskerland? If that happened with a new coach, does he even get a second year??

Revolving door anyone?

BEAT CU!!

But we have a coach who couldn't even recognize "a product of his system". This is the problem. Instead of focusing on what he has, he seems more interested in finding something that he doesn't have, kind of like a treasure hunter. Ganz only succeeded and is seeing the field for one reason and one reason only: Sam Keller's injury. It's impossible for any player to ever succeed if they never see the field.

But we have a coach who couldn't even recognize "a product of his system". This is the problem. Instead of focusing on what he has, he seems more interested in finding something that he doesn't have, kind of like a treasure hunter. Ganz only succeeded and is seeing the field for one reason and one reason only: Sam Keller's injury. It's impossible for any player to ever succeed if they never see the field.

Now he has.

Ganz has seen the field and will continue to. Doesn't matter how he got there. That's the past, it's history.

Picture an entire season with ganz running the cally syatem he knows so well.

The pieces may be falling together, unless ganz is a two game fluke. ;)

We'll know more after CU.

Who knows? Maybe that's why TO is waiting?? No win, no winning season, no bowl, goodbye cally??

Win and .... you are firing a bowl bound coach who went bowling 3 out of 4 years, won a B12 north title last season and had one losing season (in his first) in four years, the only time he was given. May not be an attractive home for a prospective HC.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

BEAT CU!!

Ganz has seen the field and will continue to. Doesn't matter how he got there. That's the past, it's history.

The past is directly relevant to why we are where we are today.
Picture an entire season with ganz running the cally syatem he knows so well.

Why would you think he would get that chance when he wasn't given that chance this year? Why would it be Ganz and not Zac Lee or Pat Witt? Just because something works doesn't mean Callahan will continue to do it. Just look at his play calling throughout his tenure at Nebraska. Look at how he took an Option team in 2004 and forced the WCO on them, without trying to play to that team's strengths. What makes you so sure Callahan will suddenly change his ways?

The pieces may be falling together, unless ganz is a two game fluke. ;)

Two games and the pieces are falling together? Which pieces? Where? Two games do not a season make.

We'll know more after CU.

Doubtful.

Who knows? Maybe that's why TO is waiting?? No win, no winning season, no bowl, goodbye cally??

TO is waiting to be a gentleman, nothing more. If Callahan were staying he would have made the announcement already so as not to ruin this recruiting class, and the coaches would have gone recruiting, not just visiting kids in-state. The signs are there, just read them!

Win and .... you are firing a bowl bound coach who went bowling 3 out of 4 years, won a B12 north title last season and had one losing season (in his first) in four years, the only time he was given. May not be an attractive home for a prospective HC.

If you think this is a good resume you should just become a Colorado Buffs fan. They can boast similar stats over the past four years.

Stop being a Bill Callahan fan and try being a Nebraska Cornhusker fan. One of those two will keep you around here longer, and I'm really getting a kick out of your posts.