Wow I am going to get blasted but

Travis9

I think Callahan should stay if the following all happens:

1. The Defensive staff is overhauled. Wyatt, Busch, Coz, all of them go except Elmo.

2. He is told in no uncertain terms that he needs to let the position coaches coach more. Today he tells Wags how to block the plays. Wags is a very good coach and he needs to be able to Block the way he wants to block.

3. He needs to be told and to promise that a greater emphasis will be put on running the football.

4. He needs to be the CEO and give up the reigns of the offense to Watson.

The reasons i think this are:

1. A new coaching staff in its entirety sets a program back period.

2. There have been some good things offensively that he has done and installed.

3. our defensive coaches for the most part are out of their league here.

4. Cally has the best person in the world to turn to in order to figure out a run game

5. TO let his coaches coach, in the mid 70's he turned the entire run game over to Tenopir. He let him scheme the run game and block the run game how he felt best.

Cally has had a bad year but do we really want to risk our program on the selection of our next coach. Has Cally truly done that terrible of a job. I think Pedey was a much bigger problem than Cally in terms of changing the history and tradition of the program and of alientating the former players.

Will i be sad if he is fired, no? I just dont truly think that changin the whole staff is the best way to go.

If he (BC) is given a second chance, there needs to be a stipulation that it is for no less than two years.

If he is given a second chance, I don't want this to turn into what happened when Pederson gave Solich a "second chance."

Solich re-vamped his staff and went 9-3...ultimately 10-3. His second chance lasted one year. And he was fired.

I think BC's toast. But I'm not going to, as Hack put it, "have kittens" if he is retained.

If there is one thing I have learned from the FS firing...it is that patience is truly a virtue (listening Steve?).

Perhaps not with Nebraska Football, but it should be...I think.

The reasons i think this are:

1. A new coaching staff in its entirety sets a program back period. Not in Florida's case!

2. There have been some good things offensively that he has done and installed. The intentional forward fumble? (Pass)

3. our defensive coaches for the most part are out of their league here.

4. Cally has the best person in the world to turn to in order to figure out a run game..Hard to instantly turn pass blockers into great run blockers.

Cally has had a bad year but do we really want to risk our program on the selection of our next coach. Has Cally truly done that terrible of a job. I think Pedey was a much bigger problem than Cally in terms of changing the history and tradition of the program and of alientating the former players...

But how much game planning/adjusting/practice determination was Pederson responsible for?

Will i be sad if he is fired, no? I just dont truly think that changin the whole staff is the best way to go.

Yup!! You are going to get blasted!!

IMO- HCs should get six years minimum.

Why not seven, so we can time it with the Locusts?

Not his mantra? Too stubborn or arrogant? Are you kidding?! NO coach will let how they coach be dictated to them. You don't say, "This is how you will alter your offensive philosophy." You don't say, "You must start running more if you want to stay on as coach."

Seriously.

That's ridiculous.

Are you sure? He was in Oakland and we all know who ran that team, no matter who the coach was. Gruden didn't leave that Super Bowl team just to get a tan.

GBR!!!

I can't see Callahan listening to anyone, especially TO. I really believe that Callahan and Company are finished with the destruction, and therefore will be asked to leave quietly.

If they don't get him out of here, there will be nothing but rumbling everytime something don't go the Husker's way, and a whole lot of 2d guessing going on with every decision. The majority of fans don't have any faith in BC and Company...they just about have to go. BC has made too many statements that burn bridges or insult the fans of the Nation.

Callahan has to go....there is NO other way. They didn't just bring TO in to smooth things over between BC and the fans....if they did, it was a mistake, nobody could do that at this point, there has been too much water under the bridge and the dam has broke.

TO was brought in to give guidance on who the next coach should be and restore the order.

I keep reading people say that the offense is fine, but really?? If I remember beyond the last game then I don't know how well that holds true, there have been sparks but absolutely no consistency. The fact that when we go down by 2 TDs in the first half it seems like Callahan forgets we have a ground game. So we go 3 thru the air and out and then get scored on again. If your defense is having issues you do everything you can to keep your offense on the field and slowly drive the field, don't you?? Also beyond that if BC was the OC I would agree but HC means your responsible for the whole game, not just what side your "known" for.

After what the team, coaches and players had gone thru with some of the "fans" I don't think Cally is likely to give it his all next year. The honeymoon is over and both sides realize they married the wrong person, I just think its gone too far to fix.

I don't see Cally agreeing to conditions to remain and I don't think he would be effective if they were forced on him. Also I think you hire a coach to coach, if you tell him how to do it then he serves no function. I have no idea what is going to happen after Colorado but I am just hoping it works out for the players more then anyone else.

First, Our O-line is much better at run blocking than given credit for. The scheme needs to change a little. Until the K-State game we ran with a predominantly Inside Zone Blocking scheme, a scheme which our lineman are not good at. They are to big. K-State we went to more Outside Zone and Man-up blocking and the holes were huge. Part of this change came about because Cally went asking for help and found it. He listened, let Wags coach and look what happened.

2. Elmo is the best "Football Coach on the Defense." I dont know a lot about football but when talking to my friend "the former coach" he stated that some coaches needed to go could i guess who. My first thought was Elmo and the reply was he is by far the best "Football Coach on our Defense"

3. Our offense has been really good. we had a stretch where it stumbled but i think that is more due to the fact that they knew they had to score every possession to have any possibility of winning.

4. Coz's style of D likes big massive players. It is his old Big 10 mentality and it simply doesn't work today. A new Defensive staff with an attacking speed oriented mentality coupled with our offense and we would be just fine.

5. I think Cally has been arrogant and all, but i truly thinks he likes this job and would be willing to take and seek advice.

6. Think of this also, TO is interim AD. To get a quality coach in here the Interim tag would need to come off. A new coach would force TO to keep this job at least 4-5 more years. No good coach is going to accept this job knowing the AD that hired him will be gone in 2 years, that is job insecurity that they dont want.

Well i have to say that i didnt come up with this on my own this idea and this plan came from someone that knows more about football than all of us on this board combined. someone that is close to TO and to the program. This is not inside information their isnt any, this is a former coaches perspective on what he feels should happen. Calling me an idiot is calling him an idiot

I ran your list by a friend of mine who is very close to the program, and for decades has been one of TO's best friends. He thinks it's ridiculous to put these kinds of stipulations on coaches.

I called another friend of mine who has been part of Lloyd Carr's coaching staff, and who may be considered for his job now that Carr is stepping down. He also thought it would be too hard to coach while have someone looking over your shoulder the whole time.

I texted another guy who was a player on the 95 and 97 Championship teams. He said that no coach would ever suggest this to another coach, so he thinks it's all made up.

I emailed another friend of mine who works in the front office of the San Diego Chargers. He doesn't think anyone would ever try to put these kinds of rules over a coach because that coach would be paralyzed and couldn't get anything done.

I faxed these to this guy I know who has been involved with Notre Dame football for 47 years and he says it's bunk.

I sent this by carrier pigeon to a friend who is close to Bob Stoops' staff and he said he wouldn't ever agree to any of these conditions.

I sent a telegram to a friend of mine who is close to SportsCenter staff in Bristol and he said he'd have to get it on the air right away, but they'd have to spell Callahan's and T.O.'s names wrong out of principle.

I contacted a guy close to Urban Meyer by personal messenger, and asked him to have Urban take a look. Urban said he'd never do these things and that the list was probably made up by someone who doesn't know much about football.

I used smoke signals to get ahold of a friend of mine who is close to the KC Chiefs staff, and he said this wouldn't work because the coach would always have to get permission to do anything.

Finally, I contacted Vince Lombardi in a seance after reading this and he said things I can't repeat on a family forum, then told me if someone gave this list to him he'd tell them to... put it in a physically impossible place.

So all of the guys I know who are very well-connected seem to think this is just the kind of story someone would make up and put on an internet message board, then claim it was legit because he cited some obscure "close to the program" source who he didn't name.

Weird, huh?

Well i have to say that i didnt come up with this on my own this idea and this plan came from someone that knows more about football than all of us on this board combined. someone that is close to TO and to the program. This is not inside information their isnt any, this is a former coaches perspective on what he feels should happen. Calling me an idiot is calling him an idiot

I ran your list by a friend of mine who is very close to the program, and for decades has been one of TO's best friends. He thinks it's ridiculous to put these kinds of stipulations on coaches.

I called another friend of mine who has been part of Lloyd Carr's coaching staff, and who may be considered for his job now that Carr is stepping down. He also thought it would be too hard to coach while have someone looking over your shoulder the whole time.

I texted another guy who was a player on the 95 and 97 Championship teams. He said that no coach would ever suggest this to another coach, so he thinks it's all made up.

I emailed another friend of mine who works in the front office of the San Diego Chargers. He doesn't think anyone would ever try to put these kinds of rules over a coach because that coach would be paralyzed and couldn't get anything done.

I faxed these to this guy I know who has been involved with Notre Dame football for 47 years and he says it's bunk.

I sent this by carrier pigeon to a friend who is close to Bob Stoops' staff and he said he wouldn't ever agree to any of these conditions.

I sent a telegram to a friend of mine who is close to SportsCenter staff in Bristol and he said he'd have to get it on the air right away, but they'd have to spell Callahan's and T.O.'s names wrong out of principle.

I contacted a guy close to Urban Meyer by personal messenger, and asked him to have Urban take a look. Urban said he'd never do these things and that the list was probably made up by someone who doesn't know much about football.

I used smoke signals to get ahold of a friend of mine who is close to the KC Chiefs staff, and he said this wouldn't work because the coach would always have to get permission to do anything.

Finally, I contacted Vince Lombardi in a seance after reading this and he said things I can't repeat on a family forum, then told me if someone gave this list to him he'd tell them to... put it in a physically impossible place.

So all of the guys I know who are very well-connected seem to think this is just the kind of story someone would make up and put on an internet message board, then claim it was legit because he cited some obscure "close to the program" source who he didn't name.

Weird, huh?

phew! :madash

I love how everyone keeps saying that a coaching change will set us back. When we changed coaching staffs in 2004 it set us back and we are still moving backwards. This staff is gone. Period. TO would have had them out recruiting in the off week if there was a chance Cally would be retained, not touring the state looking for walk-ons.

2. Elmo is the best "Football Coach on the Defense." I dont know a lot about football but when talking to my friend "the former coach" he stated that some coaches needed to go could i guess who. My first thought was Elmo and the reply was he is by far the best "Football Coach on our Defense"

Is this not the man that said "sacks are overrated"? Saying he is the best football coach on our defense is like saying he is the most honest politician...there is no such thing. Is it obvious im not a big Elmo fan? :sarcasm

I love how everyone keeps saying that a coaching change will set us back. When we changed coaching staffs in 2004 it set us back and we are still moving backwards. This staff is gone. Period. TO would have had them out recruiting in the off week if there was a chance Cally would be retained, not touring the state looking for walk-ons.

And you're sure all that in-state recruiting had nothing to do with possibly improving on the walk-on program?