what a difference a year makes

My bad about the JUCO. I didn't get that from anywhere, for some reason I just thought that. It doesn't change anything though, he still came out of nowhere. Marlon Lucky and Cody Glenn were both way more "on the radar" going into last season.

Regarding the "What has Bill Callahan done to say He is a Husker to Me." Bill Callahan wants to win football games, it is ludicrous to argue differently. He, as a head coach, is going to be a product of who is above him. Steve Pederson is to blame for the fall of tradition. Bill will embrace the tradition if he is embraced by the tradition. Many people never gave the man a chance. I don't think it is fair to call his character or where his heart is into the question. He wants to win for these fans, I'm pretty sure he said something to that effect in one of the past few weeks. He is a Husker because he is the head coach right now, and the only way he is staying is if Tom Osborne approves of him. If TO wants him to stay, is he a Husker then? Is Bo Pelini more of a Husker than Bill Callahan?

My bad about the JUCO. I didn't get that from anywhere, for some reason I just thought that. It doesn't change anything though, he still came out of nowhere. Marlon Lucky and Cody Glenn were both way more "on the radar" going into last season.

Regarding the "What has Bill Callahan done to say He is a Husker to Me." Bill Callahan wants to win football games, it is ludicrous to argue differently. He, as a head coach, is going to be a product of who is above him. Steve Pederson is to blame for the fall of tradition. Bill will embrace the tradition if he is embraced by the tradition. Many people never gave the man a chance. I don't think it is fair to call his character or where his heart is into the question. He wants to win for these fans, I'm pretty sure he said something to that effect in one of the past few weeks. He is a Husker because he is the head coach right now, and the only way he is staying is if Tom Osborne approves of him. If TO wants him to stay, is he a Husker then? Is Bo Pelini more of a Husker than Bill Callahan?

IF and god forbid it, but IF cally is asked to stay, it will only be because we can't find another coach.

Please explain BJax not having outstanding speed or strength. He was a lot stronger runner than Lucky. NFL teams don't make a habit of drafting RB's that don't have speed and strength.

I feel like it was commonly felt that BJax didn't have the speed of Lucky or the strength of Glenn. I didn't mean this as an attack on BJax. But how many people thought that BJax was going to be the premier back last year? I didn't. I am not sure on the 40 times, but I really feel like that Lucky had a faster 40 time than Jackson. If I am wrong then I am sorry, maybe you have a link? I don't mean to falsify stuff, I am simply stating what I feel and what I have believed. I am fine with being corrected. But I do feel like BJax was not expected to be as good as Lucky or Glenn going into last season, am I wrong? My argument is simply that it is hard to say BC mis-evaluated Brandon, I think he went with the info he had, and when he realized he was wrong, he changed. Isn't that all you can ask?

It's not about the wins and losses and it never has been, it's how the kids play the game. That's what everyone calling for Callahan to stay is missing in all of this. People focus on Callahan's win/loss record and that's just never, ever what this program has been about.

Not the victory but the action

Not the goal but the game

In the deed the glory

It is Callahan's unwillingness or inability to embrace this basic tenet of Husker Football that has brought about his downfall.

Look at who we are. Half our population lives in Lincoln and Omaha, another 1/4 lives in minor cities/towns across the state. But nearly all of us living in Nebraska can trace back one or two generations to some very basic, simple folk, often farmers, who built Nebraska on hard work and ethic, on substance over style, on dirt under their nails rather than gel in their hair.

We are people who don't care too much that we look good as long as we are good. The Callahan Era has been exactly the opposite - all flash and very little substance.

That's why I'm saying he needs to go. Not because he's a bad guy (he's not), not because he's evil (he's not), not because he's failing to win games (he is, but that's beside the point), it's because he doesn't know who we are, and he hasn't bothered to learn. Simply put, he's not a Husker.

I just don't see how a person can truly know what this program was founded on and still think there's reason to keep Callahan here.

EXACTLY :yeah:yeah

Please explain BJax not having outstanding speed or strength. He was a lot stronger runner than Lucky. NFL teams don't make a habit of drafting RB's that don't have speed and strength.

I feel like it was commonly felt that BJax didn't have the speed of Lucky or the strength of Glenn. I didn't mean this as an attack on BJax. But how many people thought that BJax was going to be the premier back last year? I didn't. I am not sure on the 40 times, but I really feel like that Lucky had a faster 40 time than Jackson. If I am wrong then I am sorry, maybe you have a link? I don't mean to falsify stuff, I am simply stating what I feel and what I have believed. I am fine with being corrected. But I do feel like BJax was not expected to be as good as Lucky or Glenn going into last season, am I wrong? My argument is simply that it is hard to say BC mis-evaluated Brandon, I think he went with the info he had, and when he realized he was wrong, he changed. Isn't that all you can ask?

He did? How many times did BJax carry the ball in the bowl game? I thought last year BJax would be the premiere back because he had been in the system the longest. There's a lot of RB's that can run the ball and catch the ball. However, this isn't the most important thing RB's at NU are required to do. Their most important job is saving their QB on passing plays. BJax was far superior in terms of his blocking over the other two last year hands down. If Clownahan is going to ride his "product of the system" horse, then he actually needs to get on it once in a while.

Thanks for explaining that.

Bill Callahan wants to win football games - Name a coach in any level of any sport that doesn't.

He, as a head coach, is going to be a product of who is above him - He is the Head Coach, not Steve Pederson. Callahan and Callahan alone runs that program. What evidence can anyone present that would show that Pederson forced Callahan to act in a certain way, or forbade him from reaching out to the past parts of the program? He, as a Head Coach, creates that product from start to finish. He hires the coaches, he dictates the style of offense and defense, he dictates what players get recruited, etc. These are not the duties of an Athletic Director!

Steve Pederson is to blame for the fall of tradition - yes, he is. But he is not SOLELY to blame. Bill Callahan has played his part in that fiasco as well, as outlined in the paragraph above.

Bill will embrace the tradition if he is embraced by the tradition. Many people never gave the man a chance. - I was there at the 2004 Spring Game. Callahan was met with deafening applause at that game. Hell, when the offense shifted on the first series of downs the crowd freaked out! Don't tell me he wasn't embraced here! We gave that guy all the adoration a new HC could possibly hope for! This is not only unfounded, it is profoundly untrue. The bloom ONLY fell off the rose during that debacle of a season and specifically at Texas Tech, and in the failure to properly utilize the players he had, rather than trying to pound a round peg into a square hole that season. Nebraska fans are not stupid, and we do know football. We knew the errors he was making, and could see the fact that he wasn't making corrections. But still, the next season we greeted him with open arms despite the fact that his poor choices destroyed 30+ years of bowl tradition at Nebraska. It has taken FOUR YEARS of continued failures and lack of adjustment and most telling lack of acclimation for fans to completely get off the Callahan bandwagon.

He wants to win for these fans - I could say I'm the Pope, but it still wouldn't make me Catholic. Talk is cheap, and Bill Callahan is a master spin artist. It's just that not everyone is willing to take whatever he says at face value.

He is a Husker because he is the head coach right now - Like I said in an earlier post on a different thread, I sometimes think we could dress a giraffe in a red shirt and call him the Head Coach, and there are Husker Fans out there who would think he's one of us. Simply holding that position does not make a person a Husker. Embracing the traditions, the ideals, and the rich history of this program, and then making a concerted effort to keep them going - that's a huge part of being a Husker that Callahan has never embraced.

If TO wants him to stay, is he a Husker then - absolutely not. Read the above.

Is Bo Pelini more of a Husker than Bill Callahan? - I'm not one of the people hoping for Bo Pelini, but to answer your question, he is not now (as an employee of LSU), but he could be, just like Bill Callahan could be, if he makes the effort to become one.

Anyone want to hire a giraffe as our next Head Coach?

Interesting stats I just compiled going through huskers.com

Bob Devaney

Against Top 25 Teams (11-11-1 48%) First 4 Years (2-3-0 40%)

Tom Osborne

Against Top 25 Teams (62-38-2 61%) First 4 Years (10-6-1 59%)

Frank Solich

Against Top 25 Teams (11-13-0 44%) First 4 Years (10-7-0 59%)

Bill Callahan

Against Top 25 Teams (2-10-0 17%)

Get a clue man......just cause we were in the big 12 title game last year doesnt mean Cally is a good coach. We won a TERRIBLE big 12 north because we were lucky to have Mizzou at home. Take away being in the title game last year and you have two mediocre seasons and two losing seasons.

Sounds like were making a lot of progress to me........

Interesting stats I just compiled going through huskers.com

Bob Devaney

Against Top 25 Teams (11-11-1 48%) First 4 Years (2-3-0 40%)

Tom Osborne

Against Top 25 Teams (62-38-2 61%) First 4 Years (10-6-1 59%)

Frank Solich

Against Top 25 Teams (11-13-0 44%) First 4 Years (10-7-0 59%)

Bill Callahan

Against Top 25 Teams (2-10-0 17%)

What are these stats worth? Callahan's first year can be thrown out simply because he had Option players in a West Coast Offense system. His second year - "his" players were still sophomores and freshmen. His third year - OK, few excuses. His fourth year - not so good.

But with the project that he inherited, the way he inherited it, I'm not going to throw him under the bus because he went 2-10 against top ten teams.

Top 25 teams not just top 10 teams.

And I'm merely pointing out facts. I'm sure each of them went though some stuff in there first 4 years and in there career and still manage to remain competitive and respectable aginst other teams. Also it was his choice to attempt to throw the ball as much as he did :P

How about Devaney coming in? You think he had phenomenal athletes that Bill Jennings left him in his first 4 years? Yet he still managed.

The Big Twelve Championship game was progress. People need to understand where this system is being built from. Bill has made many mistakes. He was also tackling uncharted territory. No other coach I can think of has had to tackle changing a programs philosophy when that program was a recent winner. And I to was at the Spring Game that year, and yes it was really good. The problem is as soon as we struggled, that excitement went out the door.

This time last year we were getting ready for the Big 12 Championship game. This board was dominated by Bill supporters. Now we are hoping for a bowl game, and the board is definitely pro-firing. Success should be savored, as it is not that easy to come by. I am not saying we were ever completely where we wanted to be, but we were making progress. Shouldn't setbacks be expected? I understand this year was terrible, but things tend to snowball in college athletics. With a new approach to the game, something Bill is ready to do, which includes a revamped defense, a more mobile QB, and a Dr. Tom aided focus on tradition it is very possible Bill can win. He has turned this offense around in 4 years. Not an easy task, and he is learning. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are championship football programs. (and argue all you want that he inherited a great program, we were on the downslope and he was given the task to both put the brakes on and turn the program around, that takes time) Someone new would have to start over. Bill can win and he will win. He needs time, but we are very close to being there.

How is this even close to being close? Bill has shown he can lose and will lose.

Nevada - Memorial Stadium 52 - 10 (W)

Wake Forest - at Winston-Salem, N.C. 20 - 17 (W) Played with a backup QB

USC - Memorial Stadium 31 - 49 (L) Blown out at home final score makes it closer then it actually was.

Ball State- Memorial Stadium 41 - 40 (W) Almost lost to Ball St at home how does that even become possible?

Iowa State- Memorial Stadium 35 - 17 (W)

Missouri- Columbia, Mo. 6 - 41 (L) Blown out

Oklahoma State (Homecoming)- Memorial Stadium 11:30 a.m. 14 - 45 (L) 0-38 at halftime on homecoming

Texas A&M * - Memorial Stadium 14 - 36 (L) Beaten by the option kind of Ironic.

Texas * - 17 at Austin, Texas 25 - 28 (L) Sat on a 23 point lead until it was to late

Kansas * - 8 at Lawrence, Kan. 11:30 a.m. 39 - 76 (L) Just ugly

Kansas State - Memorial Stadium 11:30 a.m. 73 - 31 (W) Whoopie Nu beat a team that lost to Iowa St

I don't call having 5 loses and thats being Callahans best year and not finishing in the top 25 as positives. Sure he could have won a couple more but that goes to show of being outcoached.