Good point on Bo

I have been checkin out this board for the last couple weeks and finally thought it was time to put my opinion on Bo. If you check out Stewart Mandels recent mailbag @ SI.com he runs down the whole Pelini LSU situation and brought up a pretty good point. He starts by saying that Pelini is one of the best assistant coaches out there, but there has got to be a reason he has not been a head coach at the D1 level yet. I am not a Pelini hater but i don't know if he is the answer to all our prayers anyway. Great leader, but is he ready to turn this thing around?!

I am not a Pelin fan.

But I do believe he has higher expectations than most assistants. He wants a top end job, not Bufalo or SMU. He wants a top level program. Those are hesitant to offer a unproven coach.

I think his actions at Nebraska hurt him. But my guess is someone, maybe even Nebraska will take a chance on him

I do not find it odd that it has taken 4 years by any means. His job criteria is more than just being a head coach.

I did some research awhile back and put it on the board. Something to the affect that there have been over 50 head coaching vacancies since he left NU. So the question is valid. Why hasnt anyone taken the chance on the guy.

You cant sugarcoat no experience. He might do well, he might not. It's a bigger risk to take. And for every Bob Stoops name dropping, where are all the other success stories at major tradition-rich winning football programs? Or else look at the other side of it - Randy Shannon was the DC at Miami, Fla for 5 years. They won the 2001 championship. They loved him there. He's the coach now. And sitting at 10-12 in two years. Keep in mind they did not change the program completely around either.

My point is, smaller schools take those chances with promoting assistant coaches.

Just because there has been 50 vacancies don't mean that Pelini would have WANTED to go to all 50....I am sure he is going to go to a top tier team, whoever it is....hopefully Nebraska. We know what he can do defensively...if we were to keep a Watson to take care of the offense...I think we would be in good shape. But who knows, between TO and Pelini, they might have someone better than Watson in mind.

Whoever the HC is, we have to give them a chance to bring in the people that they want...and then give it some time to let them get their recruits on board, just like we did Callahan. Only problem with BC is every year it just got worse, instead of better...

Just because there has been 50 vacancies don't mean that Pelini would have WANTED to go to all 50....I am sure he is going to go to a top tier team, whoever it is....hopefully Nebraska. We know what he can do defensively...if we were to keep a Watson to take care of the offense...I think we would be in good shape. But who knows, between TO and Pelini, they might have someone better than Watson in mind.

Whoever the HC is, we have to give them a chance to bring in the people that they want...and then give it some time to let them get their recruits on board, just like we did Callahan. Only problem with BC is every year it just got worse, instead of better...

well one thing i can't imagine happening, if a new coach is hired, he will be asked to keep some of the assistants on board now? not saying a new guy might not keep some (but damn few) of our assistants, but i wouldn't expect TO to ask him to either.

I may not be a big Pelini supporter at this time, or since he got axed I should say. But when that first presser comes (Monday/Saturday/Whenever), I will be relieved. And when the second one comes, the announcement of the new coach, if it's Pelini, I will support TO's decision and not be a stick in the mud. I'll root him on.

New life. is all. good. :thumbs

I may not be a big Pelini supporter at this time, or since he got axed I should say. But when that first presser comes (Monday/Saturday/Whenever), I will be relieved. And when the second one comes, the announcement of the new coach, if it's Pelini, I will support TO's decision and not be a stick in the mud. I'll root him on.

New life. is all. good. :thumbs

:yeah

There are certain scenarios that I think Bill staying would be the best at this time.

None of the listed coaches, have shown an interest in this program.

I want someone that really wants to be at Nebraska. Turner fits that. Pelini does not in the slightest. He just wants to be a HC somewhere.

I think BC wants to be the HC at Nebraska. But he has a lot of growing to do. But he will have one of the best teachers available. All talk about his ego, winners normally have large egos. If Tom thinks he is the answer with a little help, I will endorse it whole heartly.

I had made coments about not following Pelini if he is selected. A lot of PM's from people I consider friends has made me change my mind. This program needs to come back together. We have been split since about the middle of Franks era. No more booing, no more threatening the coaches, respecting our fans, all of them.

We are in a very dark area for Nebraska football. WE all need to pull together this time. We did not the last time or for Frank.

I look at Pinkel and Mangino and see what they are doing as they are given time. We may have pulled the plug to early on Frank, and we may be doing the same on Bill. If so I certainly want the next one to get the time they need.

skers, i know where you are coming from on this, i agree with the need to avoid the revolving door effect, but that is where we stop agreeing.

i will say it one last time. there is too much bad blood spilt with callahan.

i am not saying TO won't keep him, I AM saying at this juncture, there is way too much risk in doing so, way too much.

no matter what happens there WILL BE, like it or not, a significant amount of fans, boosters, what have you, that will hold an underlying grudge against cally and even TO (for keeping him), no matter what happens. he could go 13-0 next year and the following year (with a losing season), a return of the "i told you sos" would be heard again.

cally has violated the fan base with comments (it's more than just winning) that most folks won't forget, just as strong opinions have been voiced against him. the best thing for this coach and this university is to quickly part company.

it really is time to cut our losses. the future success of this football program does not lay in any one coaches hands....and definitely not in callahans'.

I agree wholeheartedly that hiring a new coach is a huge risk. But keeping Callahan will drive a stake through the hearts of many Husker fans. Some eventually got on board with Callahan, but many have not. Those that got on board, many have not stayed due to his poor gameday coaching, arrogance, irrational comments, and loyalty to assistants that clearly cannot do the job. I consider myself a huge Husker fan, and my apathy toward this year's team was the highest it has ever been. I was mad when we lost to USC, disappointed and embarrassed when we got blown out at Mizzou, and then things started fading away to the point where I simply wanted the season to be over with. With Coach Pelini, he will not allow a team to give away games; they will be fired up for each and every play. He understands what college football is all about and that you cannot simply take games, weeks, or seasons off. I fully understand that he might not be as polished as Callahan, as good at offensive X's and O's as Callahan, and probably doesn't understand the Husker legend as well as Gill or Osborne. But, I want him as my coach because he knows football, passion, and is willing to learn what it takes to be a Husker. He showed that ability in 1 year than any other assistant coach we have ever had. Bring Bo on!!!