Was it a mistake?

NPhusker

Callahan definitely should never have been hired. Many had a bad taste in their mouths when that decision was announced. Pederson was completely ignorant and arrogant in his decision making. I don't fault Callahan for taking the job, however. He needed it. But Pederson should have had his arse kicked a long time ago.

A lot of people are rejoicing. I am not. It could very well get a lot worse before it gets any better

I agree. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think his system works, perhaps it could not have ever worked here, perhaps it could have with some more time. We will never know.

A lot of people are rejoicing. I am not. It could very well get a lot worse before it gets any better

I agree. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think his system works, perhaps it could not have ever worked here, perhaps it could have with some more time. We will never know.

I'm not sure it could get a lot worse than this last season. Even Lou Holtz said today that Nebraska's defense was the worst college defense he had seen.

I'm not sure it could get a lot worse than this last season. Even Lou Holtz said today that Nebraska's defense was the worst college defense he had seen.

Lou Holtz is old and confused. He needs to be in a home. He pees his pants I hear.

My first post on this board was in support of Coach Callahan and a new defensive staff. I still believe that Callahan could have turned this team around with a new defensive staff.

The biggest reason that I supported him staying was not so much his abilities as a coach as it was the possibility that a complete staff change would have bigger and more negative repercussions going forward.

Usually, the first year of any staff takes a big step backwards from even the previous regime. It's tough to think that if we have a losing season next year that it'll just be chalked up as the "learning" year for the new staff. What if it takes 3 more years to see if that staff would pan out? Whereas Callahan and a revamped defensive staff could be contending for championships in 2-3 years.

Like anything, it's a guessing game. I'm a Husker through and through, and I support and trust Osborne's decisions. It's so apparent when he speaks that the program is in the right hands again.

We may all have different opinions on how things should be run, but let's just focus on our mutual admiration for this program and cheer them on!

Yes, staff changes are obviously tough but we would've had to get rid of Callahan eventually anyway as this was clearly not working. Callahan was unwilling to fire Cosgrove & Osbourne (as TO himself said) was unwilling to force BC to make any staff changes. Its best that we get it over with right now & fire him. Even with a new coach, I don't see how next year could possibly be any worse than this year.

My mistake was wanting this thing to work so much, I was willing to overlook Callys last season with the Raiders.

His character issues (Being reprimanded by the Big10 for some kind of playbook mishap)..

His reduction of the Walk-on program affecting my family, personally..

And just focus on the fact he coached a team in the Super Bowl...(Not dwell on the fact he lost big).

I'm not sure when he lost me..I'd never been in favor of a coach losing his job before this season..But it got to the point I was almost hoping we'd lose big, just to insure he was gone.

I for one have said just about the whole time that Callahan should be fired, but i am just curious how many people wanted to keep Callahan? When Solich got fired i bet about half wanted him to stay wanted him and stay and half wanted him gone. So was just curious about the percentage of people who wanted Callahan to stay?

I was a big supporter of Callahan, more or less giving him a chance to make things work, but I support the decision to fire him. It is awful hard to defend the performance of the team as a whole. The second half against CU was a microcosm of this season and a reminder of why he was being fired. He did a few good things while he was here, but sadly, it is time to move on.

I agree. I supported him as well and will support the new coach no matter who it is. This season was just atrocious and can't be defended.

I think the thing that sucks most about the whole situation is a lack of continuity. It comes with the territory but it's one thing that Osborne spoke to as being a key to success. I completely agree. If NU is unable to recover this year's recruiting classes, we could very well see a "hole" in the team 3 to 4 years from now. It's nice to hear a guy like Osborne talking about big picture things like that, while a lot of people don't.

I agree with you Dave. We are in uncharted waters here and things could get really rocky if we don't get the right coach here and soon.

Rehardless of coaching at some point in the season the players have to step it up and play the game. This team showed what it was capable of against K State. This team had a horrible habit of laying down when they got behind. The players have to take some responsibilty for blown assignments and lack of fire. Maybe when Pelini comes in he can show some fire by racing across the field after a drubbing and ripping the opposing coach for "running it up". :bonez

I for one have said just about the whole time that Callahan should be fired, but i am just curious how many people wanted to keep Callahan? When Solich got fired i bet about half wanted him to stay wanted him and stay and half wanted him gone. So was just curious about the percentage of people who wanted Callahan to stay?

I was a big supporter of Callahan, more or less giving him a chance to make things work, but I support the decision to fire him. It is awful hard to defend the performance of the team as a whole. The second half against CU was a microcosm of this season and a reminder of why he was being fired. He did a few good things while he was here, but sadly, it is time to move on.

I agree. I supported him as well and will support the new coach no matter who it is. This season was just atrocious and can't be defended.

I think the thing that sucks most about the whole situation is a lack of continuity. It comes with the territory but it's one thing that Osborne spoke to as being a key to success. I completely agree. If NU is unable to recover this year's recruiting classes, we could very well see a "hole" in the team 3 to 4 years from now. It's nice to hear a guy like Osborne talking about big picture things like that, while a lot of people don't.

it sure could, but the bottom line is it had to be.