Seems that Cally was actually close to keeping the job.

hskrpwr13

Even T. O. says it isn't just about winning or losing. Part of it is how you do it.

By your logic we should disregard the records broken other than the wins and loses. I don't agree.

I agree with TO. It isn't about winning and losing, it's about how you lose. But the point is, if we would have gone 9 and 4 with a bowl win, there wouldn't have been big loses in the last four games. Instead there would have been wins. Which brings us back to, what will a prospective coach think when the last two coaches you fired were 9 and 3 and 9 and 4.

I also don't believe there is very much real hatred of Callahan. Fans just understand that he isn't a good fit here regardless of anything else.

I agree many feel that way. But as we've seen on the forum boards there are those vocal ones that just flat out hate the man. It is many of these people that all along have said he's gone, done deal. And IMO it is these people that can't grasp the possibility that TO may well have let Callahan stay, so they try to rationalize TOs comments as something other then they were.

IMO TO has told the truth all along. He said he'd give the staff a chance, and that is what he did. He said he didn't want to hear about another coach before talking to Callahan, and I have no reason to think he's not totally honest about that either.

He said he didn't want to hear about another coach before talking to Callahan, and I have no reason to think he's not totally honest about that either.

I have a reason to think he would lie. When he decided to run for congress he bought a house in Keith county so he could legally claim residence in the 3rd district. He lost his claim to sainthood with that nose stretcher.

I have a reason to think he would lie. When he decided to run for congress he bought a house in Keith county so he could legally claim residence in the 3rd district. He lost his claim to sainthood with that nose stretcher.

Why is that surprising? Has that never happened before? Would it be different if he lived there 6, 7, 8, or 9 months out of the year? I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Also, I agree 100% with everything Husker88 has said. Osborne had laid out exactly what would happen in each circumstance. He said there had been people contacted but he also stated, up front, that he wanted nothing to do with it until there actually was a vacancy.

Sometimes I wonder about people's reading comprehension...

I think the chances of Clownahan keeping his job were exactly 0. That's why Pederson was fired and Osborne was hired. It was a done deal from day 1.

During his second week on the job, with four games left on Nebraska’s schedule, Osborne and the coaches set benchmarks for the season.

Osborne said that if they won the final four games and the team went 8-4, there’s no question they’d keep their jobs. If they won three and played well, he told them he thought they’d remain, but didn’t want to make promises.

Anything worse than that?

“It’s going to be tough,” Osborne told them. “Because now you’re break even, and we haven’t had many break-even seasons around here. If you have a losing season, I don’t think this is going to work.”

So you feel TO lied today when he said he set benchmarks for them. And if you don't feel he lied, then please explain to us the statement he made today.

Maybe Dr. Tom knew that Calllllllahan had to go and set the benchmarks where failure was inevitable?

He said he didn't want to hear about another coach before talking to Callahan, and I have no reason to think he's not totally honest about that either.

FYI, Dr. Tom has owned a house in the 3rd district ever since I can remember, which was the mid 80's.

But now we're talking about what is legally required to run for office in a certain district. This is something that is done all the time. Doing what's necessary to fullfill all legal requirements should not be compared to saying one thing and doing another. Which is what some here say TO did.

I disagree 100%, no way no how was Cally gonna stay once Osborne took the title, I think it was a done deal early---weeks ago. Today was smoke & mirrors, political jargin. Tom is not a liar BUT he is & was being politically correct which is fine by me. People, it's just not always black & white and I feel sorry for you if you think it is. He does not have to answer to any of us and he can spin this anyways he feels is best for the University...simple as that. To blow your mind even more, I'd bet my left arm that THERE HAVE been talks with potential new HC's. Neither you know or I will ever know that but it's 2007--not everything is always what it seems.

I disagree.

If we all think Osborne is a man of his word, then Callahan COULD have kept his job. OSBORNE TOLD HIM IF HE WON OUT HE WOULD KEEP HIS JOB!

TO alluded to the firing of Fearless Frankie after a 9 - 3 season, what I got out of that was that he wouldn't have fired BC after a ≥ .500 season + Bowl win or else they'd risk the possibility of scaring potential coaches off again. At least this time they can look and see that the expectation is to do better than 5- 7. A win would have made the decision a lot harder, but the loss most likely sealed the deal (hence the huge time range given for an announcement. If NU had pulled one out against the Buffs, then he would have a lot more to mull over).

As far as having feelers out being and indicator of a pre-determined outcome-- come on. I would be disappointed in his management abilities if he didn't plan for all contingencies. Hell, the way things were going, there is no reason to assume that the team was going to win out or go >.500. However, by leaving himself in the dark intentionally, he couldn't sit there and weigh BC against another, specific coach. It's kind of like the old "Let's Make a Deal" -- do you want to keep the coach you have or have the coach behind door number 1? Well, this coach (and his staff in particular) is so bad that unless Corkey is behind #1, we're not going to do much worse (I think our team could have pulled off wins against the teams we beat this year w/out a coach just by drawing up plays in the grass because of the talent that we have). BC & Staff vs Unknown, unknown won out. That says a lot for how poorly TO thought BC was doing his job.

Pud thought he had someone better lined up in Nutt etc. I also think he wanted so badly to make the program his own that he was comparing 9-3 vs My Own Program (MOP) and MOP won out because he had a bit of an ego on him. I mean, come on, he covered up the old face of Memorial stadium. I don't know if there would have been another way to make the renovations w/out doing that, but I think it's kind of sad to see the old facade inside.

So you feel TO lied today when he said he set benchmarks for them. And if you don't feel he lied, then please explain to us the statement he made today.

Maybe Dr. Tom knew that Calllllllahan had to go and set the benchmarks where failure was inevitable?

Maybe. But it again doesn't change the point of my post. To say Callahan was fired from day one, when TO said he gave them benchmarks, does infer that TO lied. And I don't think that is the case.

FYI, Dr. Tom has owned a house in the 3rd district ever since I can remember, which was the mid 80's.

FYI, it is a fishing cabin. Also, it wasn't his "permanant" residence either in the mid 80's.

I think Callahan made it an easy choice for TO. Texas was an acceptable loss(if there ever is such) close score it was away and against a decent team, Kansas was not up to anyones standards, K-state made him think another week, and Colorado made it easy obvious signs of problems. 1-4 after TO stepped in, 5-7 overall you don't pay a coach millions to try to win, you do it or move along. A plan isn't worth squat if you don't produce. TO said he knew Callahan had alot of football knowledge, but his ideas didn't produce W's. Bottom of the rankings in D negative opinions of critics and fans for or not, sticking with Coz cost Callahan wins and ultimately his job.