Was this the worst edition

HuskerCuse

I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again: I think everyone will be surprised come draft day at how many of these players get drafted. Talent was never the issue this year. Don't be surprised if we have 2 LB's get drafted.

I agree, it was not an issue of no talent, it was an issue of poor coaching. And poor strength/speed conditioning. Can't wait for that problem to be addressed by the new coaching staff.

I'm with kjstrouble. Watching Ruud play, I think he had the athletic ability, although I would say he was not quite as gifted as his older brother. Ruud also has a good head on his shoulders and has football smarts, as shown by the fact he was almost always in a position to make a tackle (even if he might not have made it). I think with some better coaching, Ruud might be looking at potentially being drafted (not all that high, but still being drafted).

I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again: I think everyone will be surprised come draft day at how many of these players get drafted. Talent was never the issue this year. Don't be surprised if we have 2 LB's get drafted.

Octavien maybe...Ruud and McKeon, give me a break...put down the bong and quit making me laugh so hard :laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound

Mauric Purify will go first or second round but no NFL team is desparate enough to waste a draft pick on either Ruud or McKeon

My friend, lack of talent was an issue --- the bad coaching was also an issue. Ruud played smart and was around the ball fairly often and actually did well with what he had. But, he has no better than 4.7 - 4.75 speed --- or at least his football speed is like that of a 4.75 type track 40 player. He is way, way, way too slow to be an OLB. He is too small, not physical enough and also too slow for an NFL MLB. His speed would only be modestly impressive if he were a 275 pound defensive end --- and most defensive ends in the NFL are sub 4.7 speed as well. He has no chance whatsoever in the NFL.

McKeon is also too slow for an OLB and nowhere near big or physical enough for an NFL MLB. He too has no chance.

Octavian has a shot because he is 250 pounds and benches 500 pounds, plus, while being too slow for an OLB in the NFL (he has ca. 4.6 - 4.62ish speed), he might be fine given his size, strength and speed for a MLB. He is tough, plays aggressive football and can be physical. He however does not play execution football well --- he is out of position and does not execute his assignment well far too often. Coverage for him is a major problem. But he has tools and may get a shot because of his physical measurables and may be on someones radar as a project player.

I really think that NU fans have over estimated the talent level of the team. It was not all bad coaching --- though the coaching was bad --- the talent just was not there. The talent on the squad, if coached well and they played with heart might be on this years schedule closer to 8 - 4 or 7 -5. Decent, not worthy of ranking but better than 5-7 and generally competitive.

Even with good coaching next year, unless the younger players are far more athletic (and they may be) than are the ones NU is replacing, then overall team strength and speed will be well behind that of Oklahoma and Texas, somewhat behind Missouri (yes, admit it MU is bigger, faters and quicker than is NU) and +/- very little from TT, OSU, T A&M, and Kansas.

Robsker, I would have to agree with you. Thinking back to Barrett, I felt he was a little overrated. But, he is in the league and starting so maybe there was some talent. I just couldn't get over the fact all the plays he overran during that CU debacle. Maybe it is the system with him. But with Bo, that guy was pitiful. He couldn't pancake my 2 year old.

Robsker, I would have to agree with you. Thinking back to Barrett, I felt he was a little overrated. But, he is in the league and starting so maybe there was some talent. I just couldn't get over the fact all the plays he overran during that CU debacle. Maybe it is the system with him. But with Bo, that guy was pitiful. He couldn't knock down my 2 year old.

Please show me the long list of great LB's the coz coached at WI that went on to the pros and then tell me that it was all a lack of talent here at Nebraska.

I suppose it's the same lack of talent that had our rush ends sitting on the line of scrimmage and never in the backfield last year. I suppose it's the same lack of talent that Steve O has. Ruud may not be the best backer we've ever had but if you are correct in placing the blame totally on his shoulders then we must have zero talent on defense because they were nearly dead last in the nation. We can criticize Rudd all we want but there was something totally screwed up on defense this year and I can't help but think that effected the play of Ruud and others.

If you recall Barret had plenty to say about what he learned from Jimmy Williams and Pelini. Once they arrived he came into his own. Coaching matters a whole lot more than we often realize and I'm not ready to throw the latest Ruud under the bus. I'm not so sure you would not have had similar performances with the best talent in college football under this staff.