Crux of the Decision

X , you make intelligent points and a lot of people here wouldn't argue, because we understand this. We want what's best, and whoever is named HC will certainly be the best that we can get per Osborne. And hopefully the new HC will be supported and welcomed.

Going off of records speak for themselves, Chris Petersen is 22-2. He beat OU when they had Adrian Petersen on the national stage. He won Bear Bryant Coach of the year. He produces with the talent they have. Teams around the country are not lining up to play these guys in non-conference b/c they are tough and they win. Although I personally think the visiting teams spend the entire first half adjusting their pupils on the blue turf, I still think he is the best "up-and-coming" coach out there. But that's my view.

And it's a good one. If Osborne picks Pelini, though, it'll be for a reason. We'll just have to wait and see.

X,

College football is big business, there is no difference.

No ill feelings, but that is what we are doing if we take Pelini or Gill.

Unfortunately I think that is what is going to happen.

There is so much more to being the Head Coach than on the field activities, Pelini could not even manage the team at the bowl game. He has had many problems dealing with authority his whole career and seems to ruffel feathers at every interview.

Turner, as much as we love him does not have the record that we need to gain credibility with potential recruits. No one we would be recruiting has a clue of who he is or what he did.

We need a proven winner. We need to set our sights for the Iaccoa's not Kia management.

But Ford would not have interviewed you.

skers, i know you will be pissed, but what if TO takes Pelini? you know he will say it was the best candidate out there (what if he aced his interview? did he fool TO?). i can only assume you will not be happy with Dr. Toms' choice or his tight wallet, assuming he is not willing to pay more money for a Johnson, Grobe or another higher profile guy....what then??

should we all hold it against TO if Pelini gets the job and screws the Huskers over, as you think might happen? will we blame TO for making a bad choice if this all comes to pass?? should we??

I am afraid if he picks Pelini or Gill it will be money based.

No top level coach will come here for the quoted money on the table.

We can afford more and we should at least look at the possiblities of that level coach coming to Nebraska.

Bro, do you think this decision (new coach) may be rushed prematurely? Would it be so bad to wait two more weeks if that meant interviewing three or four more candidates? I'm just wondering...

As much as it sounds logical to want to hire an established coach at our level, that isn't realistic. First, a coach like that is already set in his methods and ways of doing business. That was one of the biggest problems with Bill Callahan.

By hiring and up and comer from below we can train him in our ways, our traditions, our methods, our expectations, etc.

Only a young coach like Bo or Turner is going to be able to fit into our mold. There are no guarantees. If this hire fails we will pick ourselves up and try again. Just look to Oklahoma to see the path we have to travel to find the right coach that we can mold to our program, our fans, our traditions and our expectations.

I think Tom understands this. The perfect coach for Nebraska doesn't exist. We are going to have to find a coach who's mold hasn't set so we can take that coach and make him into the perfect coach for us.

Let's take this out of a football situation.

Husker X is a top/ sellling hard working junior accournt executive in his thire year at General Motors. He is known in the industry has being a hard charger, get r done type of guy. Takes no prisoners. Knows he can get the job done. Knows his job up and down. But has little to know experience in any of the other facets of the business, but is willing to try.

Ford has an opening for a CFO. Will Husker X be hired?

Check back later.

The plane is still in the air.

No because Lee Iaccoca is the best. We at Ford DESERVE the absolute pinnacle of all CFO's, GM be damned. The only industry worth a damn in life is Auto Manufacturing and anyone that doesn't understand that WE ARE AUTO MANUFACTURING is an idiot. If we don't hire Iacocca, I'll never drive Ford again. Screw this, I am going to crash my Ford into the next bridge! Everybody is stupid but me. I CAN TYPE IN ALL CAPS.

Husker X may be talented but he's never run anything as important as Ford. Husker X drives a Ford but has he driven one for long enough to really understand the company? What about the guy at Honda? Didn't we outsell Honda last year?

:corndance

IACOCCA FOR FORD CFO!

X,

There is so much more to being the Head Coach than on the field activities, Pelini could not even manage the team at the bowl game. He has had many problems dealing with authority his whole career and seems to ruffel feathers at every interview.

Turner, as much as we love him does not have the record that we need to gain credibility with potential recruits. No one we would be recruiting has a clue of who he is or what he did.

We need a proven winner. We need to set our sights for the Iaccoa's not Kia management.

In case you fell asleep the last four years, we just had an NFL-calibar 'manager' hanging around, with a shark in a suit as his spinster. The very reasons you don't like Bo are the ones that attract me. He's a guy with dirt under his fingernails. Doesn't take or shovel bullsh#t. I don't care if he's not a media darling. I dont' care if he can't land five star recruits. If he has us playing smashmouth football again, attacking offenses like hungry wolves, and getting away with 9-10 wins a season, he'll be everything I hoped for. It took Osborne a long time to get to the big time. I can wait for that. What I can't stand is another smiling, spinning manager, proven or unproven. We just had a superbowl coach for heaven's sake. You can't get much better 'proof' than that.

Pelini can teach fundamentals, teach defense, and motivate. He might not be a magic potion, but he's not pickle juice either.

X

We need that juice if we're ever going to ride the pickle again! :nanalama

You know where I stand on Pelini.

I have not been impressed with Coach Osborne's selection in the past. I think he is too close to the situation to make the best decission. I would much rather have had some one outside of it looking in to do it for the very reason you stated. If it fails, it will all come down on his shoulders. He does not deserve to be put in this situation. I know he took the job, but I am afraid he was forced into it. You can see in his face he is not excited to be doing what he has to do.

I think if it is left soley up to him there is no chance on Pelini. Gill will be his first choice, I truly belive that.

But is that the best choice is the concern.

Add,

Yes I think we have time to look at a number of possible coaches, the problem is there may not be many interested. We may be talking about the only two that are truly interested. I doubt we ever know who said they were interested unless they publisize it themselves.

But if it happens by Wednesday, in my mind it was not a complete and thorough search. If it ends up being one of the two mentioned the most, I tuly feel it is money oriented.

I will follow Gill for as long as it takes, I never quit on Frank, never quit on BC. I am loyal to a fault I guess, but I will not support Pelini for one second.

I decided to write this little blurb in response to several people who post things like:

"I don't think Pelini is the best choice."

"I don't think Gill is ready."

"The LSU fans don't want Pelini, should we?"

"They may be good at X and Y, but what about recruiting? Can they handle a D-1 team?"

Etc., etc., etc....

Bottom line is this. There is no coach who we can be guaranteed will be a success at Nebraska. There is no way to predict it, there is no way to be certain. How are any of you certain––or even knowledgable enough to assume––that Bo Pelini or Turner Gill are not ready to be the head coach at Nebraska? I realize that some arguments can be made, but at best what you're typically doing is pointing out uncertainties, which are not, unfortunately for you, quite the same as arguments against them. Bo has no head coaching experience. Reversing your logic I can then say that Bill Callahan is a better choice than Bo Pelini because he has that. If you want to move the argument into who is best for Nebraska specifically, you've wandered into dark, murky waters. It depends what you mean by "best."

Which coach can any of you point to and authoritatively prove will win games? Is there a single one?

What I'm saying is this. We won't know until we find out. The best thing we can do is trust Tom Osborne to make the best decision he can. No matter what candidate you select for scrutiny, there will always be some facet of their career that one can point to and say, "Aha! He'd be a terrible coach because his defense gave up forty points in 1984!"

I would personally be optimistic with either Bo or Turner. I'd be doing jumping jacks if we got both. As I see it our team needs are as follows.

1) A coach with experiences or at the very least a deep regard for our traditions, including blackshirts, walk-ons, physical football, and winning.

2) A strong motivator.

3) A teacher of fundamentals who can also scheme with the best of them, and get athletes to play tough, physical football.

There are others you can point to, but as I see it these are at least near the very top, if not the most vital. According to the way I see our needs, both Bo Pelini and Turner Gill would be reasonable choices, and I'd have little reason to doubt their ability to succeed. There may be others, but all this talk about who and who isn't ready is ignorant, uninformed, and ultimately speculative drivel. Their records speak for themselves.

X

I disagree. :) (Most humbly and this is not a personal attack on you by any means, just an observation)

If this were a board where we were talking facts and statistics I would be right there with you. BUT THIS IS A RUMOR BOARD!! This is THE place where people can do exactly that: Speculate to their hearts desire. Bring in ALL of the rumors they've heard and even make some up just for the fun of it!

THIS IS A PLACE TO HAVE SOME FUN!! I mean really! After the four years we've had I think we're entitled. Like you have said yourself, 'AS I SEE OUR NEEDS' Isn't this just speculation on your part? Yes, it is but that's ok. That's what this board is for! So relax, have some fun! You wrote a very intelligent piece here but don't ruin it by insulting the rest of us who just want to be a part of this unfolding drama. We are not ignorant, we are not uninformed and this is not drivel. Speculative yes, drivel no! It's simply what it is...people wanting their OPINIONS heard. GBR!!!

First, in my opinion, making up rumors "just for the fun of it" is stupid.

Second, none of us really know who the best candidate is, nor do we have enough knowledge or information to make that decision. I get amused by all of these "I don't think _______ is ready yet", or "I don't have _____ in my top three".

Any information those of you on this board have is purely cosmetic. Some of you witnessed one great performance by a certain coach's team, or you saw a different guy maybe react to one bad call in a way that turned you off. I'm certain that T.O. is taking a thorough approach to this search, and he wants to find the best coach for Nebraska. There are certain traits and things he's looking for in filling this position.

X,

In case you fell asleep the last four years, we just had an NFL-calibar 'manager' hanging around, with a shark in a suit as his spinster. The very reasons you don't like Bo are the ones that attract me. He's a guy with dirt under his fingernails. Doesn't take or shovel bullsh#t. I don't care if he's not a media darling. I dont' care if he can't land five star recruits. If he has us playing smashmouth football again, attacking offenses like hungry wolves, and getting away with 9-10 wins a season, he'll be everything I hoped for. It took Osborne a long time to get to the big time. I can wait for that. What I can't stand is another smiling, spinning manager, proven or unproven. We just had a superbowl coach for heaven's sake. You can't get much better 'proof' than that.

Pelini can teach fundamentals, teach defense, and motivate. He might not be a magic potion, but he's not pickle juice either.

X

Every time I see that it took Tom O, a long time reach the big time, I wonder how some one can forget, that some times other powers can change the way things turn out. A "Homer" ref for Penn St, a bad ankle sprain for Mike R. I think Tom O, had the Huskers at the top long before he won those NC in the 90's.

GBR!!!

I decided to write this little blurb in response to several people who post things like:

"I don't think Pelini is the best choice."

"I don't think Gill is ready."

"The LSU fans don't want Pelini, should we?"

"They may be good at X and Y, but what about recruiting? Can they handle a D-1 team?"

Etc., etc., etc....

Bottom line is this. There is no coach who we can be guaranteed will be a success at Nebraska. There is no way to predict it, there is no way to be certain. How are any of you certain––or even knowledgable enough to assume––that Bo Pelini or Turner Gill are not ready to be the head coach at Nebraska? I realize that some arguments can be made, but at best what you're typically doing is pointing out uncertainties, which are not, unfortunately for you, quite the same as arguments against them. Bo has no head coaching experience. Reversing your logic I can then say that Bill Callahan is a better choice than Bo Pelini because he has that. If you want to move the argument into who is best for Nebraska specifically, you've wandered into dark, murky waters. It depends what you mean by "best."

Which coach can any of you point to and authoritatively prove will win games? Is there a single one?

What I'm saying is this. We won't know until we find out. The best thing we can do is trust Tom Osborne to make the best decision he can. No matter what candidate you select for scrutiny, there will always be some facet of their career that one can point to and say, "Aha! He'd be a terrible coach because his defense gave up forty points in 1984!"

I would personally be optimistic with either Bo or Turner. I'd be doing jumping jacks if we got both. As I see it our team needs are as follows.

1) A coach with experiences or at the very least a deep regard for our traditions, including blackshirts, walk-ons, physical football, and winning.

2) A strong motivator.

3) A teacher of fundamentals who can also scheme with the best of them, and get athletes to play tough, physical football.

There are others you can point to, but as I see it these are at least near the very top, if not the most vital. According to the way I see our needs, both Bo Pelini and Turner Gill would be reasonable choices, and I'd have little reason to doubt their ability to succeed. There may be others, but all this talk about who and who isn't ready is ignorant, uninformed, and ultimately speculative drivel. Their records speak for themselves.

X

I disagree. :) (Most humbly and this is not a personal attack on you by any means, just an observation)

If this were a board where we were talking facts and statistics I would be right there with you. BUT THIS IS A RUMOR BOARD!! This is THE place where people can do exactly that: Speculate to their hearts desire. Bring in ALL of the rumors they've heard and even make some up just for the fun of it!

THIS IS A PLACE TO HAVE SOME FUN!! I mean really! After the four years we've had I think we're entitled. Like you have said yourself, 'AS I SEE OUR NEEDS' Isn't this just speculation on your part? Yes, it is but that's ok. That's what this board is for! So relax, have some fun! You wrote a very intelligent piece here but don't ruin it by insulting the rest of us who just want to be a part of this unfolding drama. We are not ignorant, we are not uninformed and this is not drivel. Speculative yes, drivel no! It's simply what it is...people wanting their OPINIONS heard. GBR!!!

What I was more or less getting at is there are a few people who continually spout some gut feeling about the new coach without providing a a shred of evidence to support it. I have no problem with opinions, and I'm pretty involved with all the speculation and hear-say myself. But with the Bo/Turner experience question, I just don't think it holds much water. They've been successful coaches. Yes, it can be questioned whether or not they could hack it at Nebraska, but the same question can be posed of any other coach in the United States, save for one, and he just so happens to be our Athletic Director.

X