Osborne to fly to Cincy?

The more I read about this guys, the more I think he's my #1 choice. I think I saw on ESPN where Cincinnati has the best record since 1953. He runs a fairly well balanced attack on offense. I would like to see his defense a little stiffer as their opponenets this year average 370 yards per game against them. Also, they tend to lose the time of possession battle as their opponents average holing the ball 2 minutes per game longer than they do. However, this is just his first year there. I really think this is the guy that could get us over the hump.

While I am ok with hiring Kelly, he seems like the coaching flavor of the week to me. As far as I can tell, he has never played or coached at a major football program. Cincinnati is the biggest program he's been at. And he's always restoring down-trodden programs, not programs which are good but trying to become great. He also hasn't stayed at a school long enough to maintain the momentum he's created. These are minor objections, I know, but he just doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling for the future.

He was at Grand Valley for 13 seasons. Mangino never even played college football. I think it would be a hard argument to win saying NU doesn't need restoring. We have had 2 losing seasons in 4 years, and we have stayed home for the holidays 2 out of 4 seasons. We've barely graced the top 25 in the past 4 seasons. He makes 825,000 a year. A 1 to 1.2 million dollar salary would be a big raise for him. I think he's 1) in our price range 2) a proven winner 3) looking for a big time program to give him his chance 4) he's of the right age.

He was at Grand Valley for 13 seasons. Mangino never even played college football. I think it would be a hard argument to win saying NU doesn't need restoring. We have had 2 losing seasons in 4 years, and we have stayed home for the holidays 2 out of 4 seasons. We've barely graced the top 25 in the past 4 seasons. He makes 825,000 a year. A 1 to 1.2 million dollar salary would be a big raise for him. I think he's 1) in our price range 2) a proven winner 3) looking for a big time program to give him his chance 4) he's of the right age.

:yeah i agree with this statement.

13 seasons at GV at least makes it seem like he's not purely motivated by ambition. My other point was not that he didn't play, but that he's never been at a major program either as a player or a coach. And I think his $2 million buyout (which may be reduced to $1 million) may be prohibitive as far as the money issue.

Again, I am fine with hiring Kelly, but I have reservations about him.

13 seasons at GV at least makes it seem like he's not purely motivated by ambition. My other point was not that he didn't play, but that he's never been at a major program either as a player or a coach. And I think his $2 million buyout (which may be reduced to $1 million) may be prohibitive as far as the money issue.

Again, I am fine with hiring Kelly, but I have reservations about him.

I understand your reservations because IMO any coach is a gamble. However, I think he has the most going for him. Those who have reservations about Gill stem from he doesn't have enough experience. Those who have reservations about Pelini stem from his emotional outbursts and only 1 game of HC experience. Jim Grobe has a 10 year contract extension attached to him. Of all of the coaches so far mentioned in the coaching search, I think Kelly is the guy for the above 4 reasons I stated above.