Rickey Thenarse says...........

NPhusker

I'm surprised Thenarse has been able to hold his tongue this long. Watching the guys in front of him tackle like a Pop Warner team has to have chapped his ass the past couple of years. Here's to hoping he comes out with something to prove in '08.

Thenarse will still need to work on his tackling skills. In his limited time on the field I know he had at least 5 facemask penalties.

I think if Bo comes here you will see that. I wouldnt mind seeing our LB being asante W, dillard M, and culbert strong side

Mel --- I am with you. Put Dillard in the middle Asante at Will and Culbert at SAM --- and have L. Washington and RSFreshman Stafford backing up on the outside.

I do not like this idea at all, I think Asante should stay at Safety, he already has one year of learning the safety spot why start over and make him learn a new spot.

Also Culber is undersized at the WILL, and would be extremely undersized playing SAM. Who is going to take Asante's spot at safety, the only safeties we have returning besides Asante and Thenarse are Matt O'Hanlon and Eric Hagg, I would much rather see Asante on the field instead of O'Hanlon or Hagg.

Also we have a lot of young talent at LB why put another good player at that spot and just keep one of those talented young guys off the field, when we could have someone like Blake Lawrence and Asante on the field at the same time. Callahan did the same thing with Culbert this year when he moved him to RB when we had plenty of depth their and Major jsut sat on the bench, when he could have been making plays on D.

Learning a LB spot is easier for one of the guys in the secondary. Ed Stewart, J Williams, Troy Dumas, Mike Minter and O McFarlin (with many others) made this switch in the 90's.

Also, we need to bring speed back to the LB unit. Some of the best LB's NU had would be considered undersized, D. Williams, Farley, J Williams., Ortiz, Johnson. NU's dominant defenses of the 90's all had small, speedy LB's.

I thought Larry Asante was a terrible safety. He takes bad angles on open-field tackles and can't help out on pass coverage to save his life. Asante's blown tackling/coverage gift-wrapped at least 21 points for Ball State. Move him up closer to the line or get ready for more basketball scores.

Thenarse probably needs a lot of work, too. He's kind of a cruise missile that won't change directions.

I don't even remember seeing Culbert on the field, although I am drunk a lot.

I am officially done speculating about next year. Whatever happens, happens. I am not getting my hopes up too high again.

I think if Bo comes here you will see that. I wouldnt mind seeing our LB being asante W, dillard M, and culbert strong side

Mel --- I am with you. Put Dillard in the middle Asante at Will and Culbert at SAM --- and have L. Washington and RSFreshman Stafford backing up on the outside.

I do not like this idea at all, I think Asante should stay at Safety, he already has one year of learning the safety spot why start over and make him learn a new spot.

Also Culber is undersized at the WILL, and would be extremely undersized playing SAM. Who is going to take Asante's spot at safety, the only safeties we have returning besides Asante and Thenarse are Matt O'Hanlon and Eric Hagg, I would much rather see Asante on the field instead of O'Hanlon or Hagg.

Also we have a lot of young talent at LB why put another good player at that spot and just keep one of those talented young guys off the field, when we could have someone like Blake Lawrence and Asante on the field at the same time. Callahan did the same thing with Culbert this year when he moved him to RB when we had plenty of depth their and Major jsut sat ohttp://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?act=Post&CODE=02&f=1&t=23083&qpid=279396

HuskerBoard.com - Husker Message Board -> Replying in Rickey Thenarse says...........n the bench, when he could have been making plays on D.

well he is going to be learning new stuff no matter where he plays since we have a new coach. plus you have to remember he played lb at his Juco.

and about the size thing. oklahoma's starting only weighs 210, lsu weighs 229, auburn 219, florida 207. he's big enough. and it not like he couldnt put on 5-10 pounds over the summer to come in at 220.

Also we have a lot of young talent at LB why put another good player at that spot and just keep one of those talented young guys off the field, when we could have someone like Blake Lawrence and Asante on the field at the same time. Callahan did the same thing with Culbert this year when he moved him to RB when we had plenty of depth their and Major jsut sat on the bench, when he could have been making plays on D.

I see your points. My notion is the team needs to move some CB's to play safety (Anthony West & Shawn Sullivan), some safeties to OLB (like Asante and Washington & Culbert), some OLB to MLB (like Blake Lawrence). The idea is to increase speed. Of course you give up size. But we had the slowest LB's in the B12 last year. We need speed.

Someone pointed out that Culver is too small for SAM. Not really. He is 210 pounds. Washington is ca. 215. Yes it would be nice to have 15 more pounds on those frames --- but our guys who have that size (or had that size --- the guys who left) are/were way too slow.

Give me a fast undersized guy who is fearless any day over a slow suitably large guy

While we are on this at DE Turner was an 8 on a scale of 10 when he was 240 pounds and a 4/10 at 270. They said that Pierre Allan was awesome at 230 --- at 270 he hardly played. These guys were playing way too heavy. Drop the weight, regain the quickness.

Oh. And the OL guys are too fat, too.

LSU --- and admittedly fine defense has no DE over 240 and their OLB are small too. But fast.

Rickey Thenarse told Sean Callahan "I just hope the new coach plays the best players".

That kinda makes you wonder about who Callahan let play. Callahan seemed to play the kids that could learn the playbook, and instead of simplifying the system, Callahan would just play the players that new the system but werent neccesarily the most talented.

Anyone remember that quote from Elmassian where he said something like for every freshman out on the field, you might as well surrender a touchdown to the other team?

If I was a freshman and better than someone playing above me but sitting because of this stupid policy, I'd be POed.

Well, for every Elmassian on the sideline we gave up a couple thousand yards, missed a few hundred tackles, failed to cover hundreds of passes, drew uncountable stupid penalties and surrendered dozens of tochdowns.......so he could be onto something...

That's exactly what needs to be done. If a freshman is better than a senior play him. :thumbs

Just look what Javario Burkes and Anthony Blue did in there limited action. Freshman can be useful for things other than Special Teams (Even though they can really be good on there).

Just a few guys who come to mind that were under used in my opinion...

-Prince

-Niles

-Rickey

-Major

-Holt

Niles and Holt didnt get played a lot because we are stacked at WR. Niles was redshirted also, why screw up a redshirt on a player that we will be able to utilize now for 4 full years. Holt will be a good WR, but I dont think was ready this year also.

I totally agree with Thenarse. He should have been played more. Also, I love how just because Callahan wasn't a fan of Bowman, he benched our best player. Bowman will be drafted in the first round or two of the NFL draft, and Callahan had him riding the pine behind a freshman. Bill just acted like a child throwing a tantrum.

Blue did so-so in Bowman's place, but there is NO WAY he was better than Bowman.

Bowman lost a lot with his two new injuries, and he WONT be drafted the first couple rounds. I see him being picked up in the 2nd day or possibly third unless he does really good at the combine. Dont get me wrong, Bowman was a great corner, but he lost quite a bit with his injuries and being out for so long.

And Thenarse will be a good corner, just like Asante will probably be a great safety by his SR season.

That's exactly what needs to be done. If a freshman is better than a senior play him. :thumbs

Just look what Javario Burkes and Anthony Blue did in there limited action. Freshman can be useful for things other than Special Teams (Even though they can really be good on there).

Just a few guys who come to mind that were under used in my opinion...

-Prince

-Niles

-Rickey

-Major

-Holt

Niles and Holt didnt get played a lot because we are stacked at WR. Niles was redshirted also, why screw up a redshirt on a player that we will be able to utilize now for 4 full years. Holt will be a good WR, but I dont think was ready this year also.

I beleive if you play at all you lose your resdshirt(correct me if i am wrong) and Niles Paul played this season and even caught one ball against Nevada. I dont know why BC burned his redshirt for one catch in a blowout.