Osborne hits recruiting trail

DaveH

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10195288

Pretty bright if you ask me. The guy is doing everything he can to keep this program together. Including going out into kids home to recruit. Apparently now that we are down a coach, all he had to do was pass an NCAA test to be allowed to recruit as a coach.

GO T.O!

hmmmm..wonder if he goes back to Gray, Gabbert and Robinson? that would be where i would start, but maybe he has other ideas. would be nice to hear some info on who actually gets a visit. probably have to start another post in rumorville just to cover this topic......lol

I think most of it would be in state. He is big on recruiting within the Nebraska boundaries.

Bah...I just heard from an ISU staffer that they had to reschedule Chizek's recruiting visit this Friday to Harlan because *gasp* Tom Osborne!!! is coming to visit!

So much for stealing Hoch....

Yep, b/c Hoch and Steinkuhler are going to be studs on the line for several years. Whew!

If he talks to anyone out of state I hope it's Gray. From what I understand the kid is a special talent, and there isn't a system out there that doesn't need a great RB. If he can catch at all (and I have to believe he can, since Callahan was so interested in him) I would really like to see him come back.

Gabbert sounded like a great kid, but having him come here depends on whatever system we run, so he may not fit.

Bah...I just heard from an ISU staffer that they had to reschedule Chizek's recruiting visit this Friday to Harlan because *gasp* Tom Osborne!!! is coming to visit!

So much for stealing Hoch....

Hehehehe...

Hey...at least they let Chizek in the door. When McCarney made recruiting trips people used to lock up the wife, kids and dog then gather in the town square with torches and pitchforks...

TO should stop in Ames and talk up Barney Cotton's kid...6' 6", 230 lbs, good hands....he's going to make somebody a helluva TE. If you can't talk a kid out of a commitment to Louisville, you don't deserve to go on recruiting trips. We'd snap him up over here but he's still kind of ticked about us canning his dad right before his senior year of high school...

So he said he will hit the recruiting trail on Thursday and Friday. So what does that mean, if anything, about the timeline for the coach search?............

I think it either means he is waiting for LSU to play the SEC conference game so he can offer the job to Bo -- Or he still has some interviews that he can't do until they finish their regular schedules on Saturday. Either way, Tom seems to know what he is doing.

So he said he will hit the recruiting trail on Thursday and Friday. So what does that mean, if anything, about the timeline for the coach search?............

I think it either means he is waiting for LSU to play the SEC conference game so he can offer the job to Bo -- Or he still has some interviews that he can't do until they finish their regular schedules on Saturday. Either way, Tom seems to know what he is doing.

Makes sense.

I was just thinking that the loud "Oh sh!t!!!" you just heard is the rest of the country finding out that Osborne is hitting the recruiting trail. But I think he'll stay close to Nebraska. I would think that Iowa will be the farthest he'll travel in the couple of days he set aside for recruiting.

If I'm a Nebraska high school kid and I receive a call from TO, it would go something like this:

Me: "Hello?"

TO: "Hello, son, this is Tom Osborne calling to encourage you to come play college ball at Nebraska."

I got goosebumps just thinking about it...no wonder he had his players running through walls for him.

I love this idea, but there are 2 negatives:

1) Once Dr. Tom goes on an in-home visit, the new coach will not be able to. This might make it tough for the new coach to make a connection.

2) These kids, especially ones that are not from this area are probably not as awed by Dr. Tom as we are. Face it, these kids were 7 or 8 when Dr. Tom was last winning national championships.

I certainly he hope that he is the hammer. Go Tom go!!! :restore

1) Once Dr. Tom goes on an in-home visit, the new coach will not be able to. This might make it tough for the new coach to make a connection.

Good point, but if most if not all of these kids are local, couldn't they easily make an informal trip to meet with the new coach in person?

Good point, but if most if not all of these kids are local, couldn't they easily make an informal trip to meet with the new coach in person?

I'm not sure. Maybe someone else has a better answer. I'm sure they could make an "informal" visit.

If this act doesn't make you understand how TO is a living legend when it comes to Nebraska football, nothing else will....we could probably count the number of ex-coaches who became athletic directors for their schools and then as AD went out to recruit football players using one finger....the index finger raised as #1 for TO

Tom Osborne IS the very core of what Nebraska football is all about.

Wow! Mom & dad are sure going to be in awe and certainly that's going to rub off on the kid when T.O. walks into the living room. Awesome!

I would tell my kids, "Your going to NU whether you like it or not! Do you know who that is!?" :hellloooo

What's funny about that is that one of Ozzy's recruiting tenets was to sell the mom on study, academics and graduation rates. Once mom was sold, the recruit was his.