The Bright Side of the Coach Search

The most heartening thing I'm hearing about this hunt for a new Head Coach is the fact that so many coaches are willing to talk to us about the job. Four years ago when Pedersen was conducting the fiasco that we all suffered through, it seemed like there were several embarrassing situations where "name" coaches turned us down, like the debacle of the plane on the tarmac with Houston Nutt and the flat refusal to interview for the position by Urban Meyer. Those instances really damaged our reputation in that search, and in the end we had to settle for Plan H, a hire who wasn't even available (and therefore hadn't been a target at all) when the search started.

Fast forward to today, and we have at least two men with no connections to the school whatsoever, Brian Kelly and Jim Grobe, who are expressing enough interest in the job to at least accept interviews. On top of that we have two "legacy" guys, Turner Gill and Bo Pelini, who will almost certainly accept the job as soon as it's offered. On top of that we have rumors of Paul Johnson, who may or may not be interested, but who has at least not come out publicly and stated he would not even interview for the job, unlike last time.

Quite frankly, if there is this much interest in our HC position, there's no good argument to make that it's no longer a "top job" or that we have fallen from the ranks of the elite. It's clear from this level of interest that there are plenty of people out there who view us as a powerhouse, and they are interested in being associated with that powerhouse.

This, to me, is a good sign.

Well I really thought that after the PC the other day this would be done in 10 day's. Then after all of the plane stuff I tought well maybe WED. After all that has gone on I think TO is gonna wait until after all of the conference games are over to have another PC and lay out THE PLAN.

I hope by WED of next week this thing is done mean while we will all be chuckleshuffle until then

It just goes to show you the difference between a T.O. search and a Pederson search.

WHOO, SO GLAD PEDEY IS GONE!!!!! :horns2

The difference is TO is looking at College coaches and not Pro coaches. Pedey was looking for that flashy hire. TO is just looking for the right fit. Hope he stops looking at Bo P. Lets get the Boise St coach and get this whole thing over with.

Hoping I am wrong, but really there is very little difference.

We know absolutely nothing from the Athletic Department.

Planes all over the place wiith no comment.

Nutt taught the coaching world how to work the system.

High end coachs may be accepting interview for possilbe negoiations with there existing team. See Weis.

But it does appear that the rumor that Bo Peep was our coach alreay is a rumor.

It does appar we are looking for the best qualified coach.

Will the results be any better? No one knows. Hopefully it will be a coach we all get behind this time. The program needs that badly.

I hope we know something by the 2nd. I think that that is realistic.

Fast forward to today, and we have at least two men with no connections to the school whatsoever, Paul Kelly and Jim Grobe, who are expressing enough interest in the job to at least accept interviews.

heard of Jim Grobe. who's Paul Kelly?

Brian Kelly is the coach at 9-3 Cincinnati. Last season Kelly won the MAC at Central Michigan, then coached the bowl for Cincy (and won).

Fast forward to today, and we have at least two men with no connections to the school whatsoever, Paul Kelly and Jim Grobe, who are expressing enough interest in the job to at least accept interviews.

heard of Jim Grobe. who's Paul Kelly?

Brian Kelly is the coach at 9-3 Cincinnati. Last season Kelly won the MAC at Central Michigan, then coached the bowl for Cincy (and won).

I would agree that the search and interview process is definately going better than before. It appears TO (with the help of the headhunters) definately want to do a thorough job, making sure they talk to several people, and pick the best candidate for the program. At this time, I am very encouraged.