our coaching situation and $

My guess Kelley knows his value. He has been a hot prospect the last couple of years.

He does not have the track record to warrant more than what we are willing to pay at this time. But if he wins in a couple of years and we are not on the same level with other programs he will most likely leave, leaving us in the same situation.

I do not see us paying in the 3 million area. We are not hiring that level of a coach with Grobe, Kelley or Johnson. But if we should happen to start winning the only one that might stay realistic about his pay is Gill.

Pelini is all about Pelini, he wants the big bucks and he has been around two of the highest paid for awhile now.

Grobe has a pretty good compensation package already. He will be expensive.

I have no idea what Johnson makes.

Gill and Pelini will be the most reasonable at this time. But do we want to hire a coach because he is cheaper than another. I want the best coach we can afford. If we are selecting a coach just becasue his current market value is less than our planned cap, are we really doing all we can to win.

I don't know if Gill or Pelini are the Tressel, I certainly don't know if Kelley or Grobe or Johnson are, but my gut tells me the last three have proven they can do the job at a major/sub major program. Big time companies do not hire first timers to run their ogranizations. I feel that Nebraska football is a big business operation. I would tend to follow the their strategy.

If I had my druthers it would be Reicth or Rodriquez, but we know we can not afford their price tags. So you drop to the next level. That is the way business looks at it. I think we have to think that way to get to where we want to be.

As stated before, we have taken a chance twice on unproven college head coaches. Can we truly afford to do it again?

I might be going out on a limb here, but I'm willing to bet that any coach we get except for maybe Gill is gonna want more money if they come in here and we start winning Big 12 Championships and NCs. Apparently even Billy C's agent thought he could get him more money back in the pros when he was pimping him out in 2005. Kelly did take the Cincy job for under a million. I'm thinking he would jump at the 1 to 1.2. If we start winning in a big way again, I'm sure we'd have to stair step that up to what BC's contract extension ended up being.

I think it depends on Michigan. He is being talked about there to. He does have ties to the state. I would think he would be a great hire for them to.

If they get into it, it will come down to money to get him here. It will have to be more and my guess not juat a little more.

But there search has been as secrative as ours.