our coaching situation and $

I have seen a lot of people mention that this is going to be an issue for us with the new coach. I really dont think that is the case. TO has said many times money is not a problem. I think that within reason this is true(we arent going to be giving any saban/weis contracts) I think the people in charge understand that winning will pay for itself, and losing will cost us more than a good coach would

I have seen a lot of people mention that this is going to be an issue for us with the new coach. I really dont think that is the case. TO has said many times money is not a problem. I think that within reason this is true(we arent going to be giving any saban/weis contracts) I think the people in charge understand that winning will pay for itself, and losing will cost us more than a good coach would

agreed lets give kelly a call right now and tell him he is hired at 2 mil a year. :clap:horns2:cheers

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you are right mel.

I donot want a bargain basement coach.

WE are Nebraska, we deserve the absolute best we can get. Too much effort and money has went into this program to settle for less than the best.

I am not advocating spending money ridicously. I just want what is best for the program.

Well somewhere I read that Ozz has a base in mind with incentives (spelling ain't my strong suit) I could live with that rather than paying a bunch of money on a bust. Other thing is I hope that we write a better clause in a buy out or should I say - if the coach is fired we are smarter on how their compensation is handled.

agreed lets give kelly a call right now and tell him he is hired at 2 mil a year. :clap:horns2:cheers

Why do we need to give Kelly 2 million? His current salary is under 1 million. I think he definitely fits into our 1 to 1.2 million range as it would definitely be a raise from his current salary. I'm ok with giving him extra incentives for a Big 12 Championship and NC, but I don't agree that we need to offer him 2 million right off the bat. He's my #1 choice, and I think we can get him for 1 to 1.2 million.

Well somewhere I read that Ozz has a base in mind with incentives (spelling ain't my strong suit) I could live with that rather than paying a bunch of money on a bust. Other thing is I hope that we write a better clause in a buy out or should I say - if the coach is fired we are smarter on how their compensation is handled.

The final salary and incentives are negotiated and may not have much to do with smarts. The university has their financial and legal people to work out these things but it's tough to be stingy when you're trying to lure someone. In my business negotiation begins only after the applicant accepts. If the candidate isn't satisfied it may be easier for them to walk than it is for the company to let them get away. It could be embarrassing for the university to loose a candidate during negotiations and could affect the interest of other candidates.

Why do we need to give Kelly 2 million? His current salary is under 1 million. I think he definitely fits into our 1 to 1.2 million range as it would definitely be a raise from his current salary. I'm ok with giving him extra incentives for a Big 12 Championship and NC, but I don't agree that we need to offer him 2 million right off the bat. He's my #1 choice, and I think we can get him for 1 to 1.2 million.

sorry dude the 2 mil part was definitely a joke, but i will say that if mich. happens to offer him 1.4 mil i would definitely offer him 1.5. he is worth it IMO

Ithink the buy out will be the problem on most good coaches.

I agree we should be able to keep him under the 1.5 area. Depending on his manager. He has a proven record replacing a coach with out a proven record that was making 1.78 I think.

Do college coaches, or most anyway, really have managers? I would think that a coach who is responsible for the running of a football team would be more than capable of handling their own contract. I can understand them having an attorney look over the contract to make sure there isn't anything in there that will cause problems down the road, but why do they need a manager? Why would they want to give anyone 5 or 10 percent or whatever it is to do something they're more than capable of handling themselves?

I guess to better ask my original question, why would a coach who has a contract who isn't looking for a job need an agent? After the ink has dried on a contract like lets say Grobe who has a 10 year extension, do they really need an agent if they aren't looking to skip to the next job? I guess I would just find it extremely odd if Grobe, Kelly, Gill, or Pelini had agents. There again, I don't know all the in's and out's of coaching contracts.

I guess to better ask my original question, why would a coach who has a contract who isn't looking for a job need an agent? After the ink has dried on a contract like lets say Grobe who has a 10 year extension, do they really need an agent if they aren't looking to skip to the next job? I guess I would just find it extremely odd if Grobe, Kelly, Gill, or Pelini had agents. There again, I don't know all the in's and out's of coaching contracts.

I would imagine that with the unstable nature of coaching these guys keep their agent on retainer, not on a full salary. You never know when you're going to need him, so it's best to keep him handy if the need arises.