Joe Ganz

I think that he will do really well next year with the new coaches. After only starting 3 games, he passed for 16 touchdowns. Keller started 9 games and he only threw for 14 touchdowns and I think that is kind of interesting to look at. Plus Ganz is somewhat mobile and can scramble in the pocket. Also it just shows how dumb Callahan was to start Keller because he really was just an over hyped quarterback and Billy C couldn't realize Ganz should have been the starter. So hopefully Ganz will have a big year next year :bonez

Let's wait and see who the HC is next year first before we start tooting any players horn. I do agree though that Ganz should take some pressure of the new HC because he is mobile, he can pass, and he is a mature QB.

All good points. But, and this is a tough one --- there is a rule of thumb in coaching --- "never launch the rebuilding of a program with a senior at QB." The next coach has a quandry to contend with --- it is not as simple as start the one who is playing the best at the momnet, but rather start the one that is most likely to take you to the goal the quickest. If the goal is to be competitive and remain competitive ASAP, starting the senior at QB may get you there sooner, but will that just then move to yet another rebuilding year the following year when a new QB is broken in.

I hate to say this, but if I were the HC, if either Lee or Witt are within striking distance of Ganz next year then I go with the young QB so as to ensure that the next three years are with the same QB. One of many problems with NU has been lack of continuity at QB. You do not want to rebuild with seniors at key positions, for continuity is critical to long termed SUSTAINED competitiveness.

I think Ganz definitely starts next year. Why would we not start our most experienced and most talented QB next year? Come on our next coach won't be another Callahan. I think it would insane not to start a proven QB like Ganz.

Well one reason would be sustaining the competitiveness of the program over time. One way to put it is this --- if you can still win next year with Witt or Lee then the 2009 and 2010 seasons NU will have an experienced QB leading the charge --- three years with the same QB means that year 3 is likely going to be outstanding. If you go with Ganz next year you might win a game more (maybe not) but the next year you rebuild AGAIN. If we go with Ganz, then NU will have had 4 different QB's in 4 years --- Taylor, Keller, Ganz, Lee or Witt. 4 years of new QB's means 4 rebuilding years in a row, Programs do not progress that way.

Being too short-sighted can really hurt long term sustained growth. The endless cycle of 1st year QB's has to stop. The first year of a QB is always their worst.

If NU wants to rebuild, they should go with all youth next year and feature players with potential that have three seasons (or at least two) to play. That is tough on seniors, but rebuilding is a tough process. I do not advocate abandoning seniors, but I do say that the freshman and sophomores especially need to be featured and juniors as well --- seniors everywhere else, but QB. I repeat once more that every year you have a new QB is by definition a rebuilding year. Four years in a row with new QB's is not a good thing.

Ideal situation...Ganz starts (if he is #1 coming out of spring ball and earns it...I'm assuming and not handing him the job here w/o attending the practices) and then Witt and Lee get a lot of playing time in the second half when the new coach calls off the dogs. They still play against the #1 D of the opponent to build for the future....like in the good old days.

:hellloooo

Ganz will be the clear front runner. It wont take more than a few highlights (game clips) to prove what he is capable of doing. His stats clearly show his accomplishments. No spring game will change that. Especially when you dont hit the QB, and it's not a real game.

There will be a battle though for backups and competition to push the starter.

While I love the Ganz and would have his babies if that were physiologically possible, his interceptions can't be overlooked. They really cost the Huskers the game against CU. Maybe that is the real reason he was the backup?

Aside from the physiological possibilities (damn that cracked me up!), you have to realize that

A) Interceptions are part of the game

B- deflections and tips by the recievers that get intercepted become good plays made by the defense

C) When turnovers occur, it's then up to the defense to prevent scores (although they happened to be returned for TD or inside the redzone).

D) INTs are never overlooked, but can be corrected for the most part through tape, teaching and experience

E) is for elephant - is anybody reading this?

F) Dude kept calling passing plays over and over and over and abandoned the run, making the defense play mostly against the pass (58 attempts).

G) Ganz. It was only his third career start.

H) the real reason he didnt start is unknown to us, or BC believed Keller was more polished.

I thru Z) No Keller injury, no Ganz story to even clip the imagination.

Let's wait and see who the HC is next year first before we start tooting any players horn. I do agree though that Ganz should take some pressure of the new HC because he is mobile, he can pass, and he is a mature QB.

All good points. But, and this is a tough one --- there is a rule of thumb in coaching --- "never launch the rebuilding of a program with a senior at QB." The next coach has a quandry to contend with --- it is not as simple as start the one who is playing the best at the momnet, but rather start the one that is most likely to take you to the goal the quickest. If the goal is to be competitive and remain competitive ASAP, starting the senior at QB may get you there sooner, but will that just then move to yet another rebuilding year the following year when a new QB is broken in.

I hate to say this, but if I were the HC, if either Lee or Witt are within striking distance of Ganz next year then I go with the young QB so as to ensure that the next three years are with the same QB. One of many problems with NU has been lack of continuity at QB. You do not want to rebuild with seniors at key positions, for continuity is critical to long termed SUSTAINED competitiveness.

Interesting points. It might be smart for the new coach to think about what the team will look like in year 4 rather than next year if he wants to keep his job. Year one will be ancient history 4 years from now, especially if it's a crap year 4.

While I love the Ganz and would have his babies if that were physiologically possible, his interceptions can't be overlooked. They really cost the Huskers the game against CU. Maybe that is the real reason he was the backup?

Aside from the physiological possibilities (damn that cracked me up!), you have to realize that

A) Interceptions are part of the game

B- deflections and tips by the recievers that get intercepted become good plays made by the defense

C) When turnovers occur, it's then up to the defense to prevent scores (although they happened to be returned for TD or inside the redzone).

D) INTs are never overlooked, but can be corrected for the most part through tape, teaching and experience

E) is for elephant - is anybody reading this?

F) Dude kept calling passing plays over and over and over and abandoned the run, making the defense play mostly against the pass (58 attempts).

G) Ganz. It was only his third career start.

H) the real reason he didnt start is unknown to us, or BC believed Keller was more polished.

I thru Z) No Keller injury, no Ganz story to even clip the imagination.

I would add that BC had a hissy on the sideline after Joe ran several times , despite the fact that he scored.

If BC was flexible, he could have given Joe the green light , and added a dimension to the offense that was sorely lacking with Keller. BUT NOOOO... he reamed Joe for ad-libing ,and so Joe spent the rest of the game throwing and the defense knew it was coming.

I think Ganz definitely starts next year. Why would we not start our most experienced and most talented QB next year? Come on our next coach won't be another Callahan. I think it would insane not to start a proven QB like Ganz.

Well one reason would be sustaining the competitiveness of the program over time. One way to put it is this --- if you can still win next year with Witt or Lee then the 2009 and 2010 seasons NU will have an experienced QB leading the charge --- three years with the same QB means that year 3 is likely going to be outstanding. If you go with Ganz next year you might win a game more (maybe not) but the next year you rebuild AGAIN. If we go with Ganz, then NU will have had 4 different QB's in 4 years --- Taylor, Keller, Ganz, Lee or Witt. 4 years of new QB's means 4 rebuilding years in a row, Programs do not progress that way.

Being too short-sighted can really hurt long term sustained growth. The endless cycle of 1st year QB's has to stop. The first year of a QB is always their worst.

If NU wants to rebuild, they should go with all youth next year and feature players with potential that have three seasons (or at least two) to play. That is tough on seniors, but rebuilding is a tough process. I do not advocate abandoning seniors, but I do say that the freshman and sophomores especially need to be featured and juniors as well --- seniors everywhere else, but QB. I repeat once more that every year you have a new QB is by definition a rebuilding year. Four years in a row with new QB's is not a good thing.

well, if you support that argument, you must also agree Keller should never have played a down this year, we should have been grooming Ganz for 2008...... :o:madash:madash

I think that's an interesting argument, but it holds little merit, IMO. I disagree with it very strongly. If that's so, it doesn't take a lot to extend it to say 'never play seniors.' There's something to be said about getting exp for the young guys, but prioritizing them over veterans, especially in college, is the opposite extreme.

For a new coach coming in, it's a blessing to have a well-seasoned veteran at quarterback. Get those young guys a year to grow with you and ready to take over the next year.