The ESPN Bo Pelini Rumor

It states no source? WTH? Do you expect them to say ... "According to Joe Blow, Bo Pelini will be hired ..."? Seriously, do you want not only Pat Forde to continue to be a professional while keeping the job of his source? My God, you NEVER name a source if they do not want to be named, ever. In journalism, it is one of the most unethical things you can do.

BTW no " unless there is a snag" reference.

They stated that he WILL be named coach Monday.

That wouldn't be happening at a press conference, would it?

Im hoping for an 11:30am press conference on Monday to announce Bo Pelini as the next coach. That is what I entered last week on the 1620 who's next contest.

I told them to bank on it and I may just be right.

Here's where this rumor is coming from. ESPN, like most everyone else in America, thinks it's going to be Bo Pelini. Many signs point that way and there are no other conflicting reports right now, so that's the story.

Now, the most logical time for the announcement of the new Nebraska coach is Saturday after the SEC title game, Saturday after the Army/Navy game, or Monday after the weekend is over and NFL coverage isn't dominating TV. So it stands to reason that an announcement is going to be made within the next 3 1/2 days.

Since all signs seem to point to Pelini, ESPN can declare a scoop if they begin reporting that a "source" has given them inside info before anyone else reports it. It does the same thing for them that the rumormongers here were trying to do - get bragging rights. That's why the rumor comes out today.

If I had to bet money I'd bet they have NO source whatsoever. They don't have an Insider in the NU Athletic department, and even if they had one at LSU it's not likely they would know unless it's someone high enough up their chain that they stand to lose something for divulging this kind of stuff. If the decision has been made my guess would be that only Pelini and Miles and their AD know at this point.

So to me, knowing a bit about what happens in newsrooms, I'm not giving this story too much weight right now. Just like here at Rumorville - without citing a source, it's just a rumor.

So I would caution most everyone not to get too terribly excited about this right now. We still don't know more than we did yesterday - we still just have a rumor.

I can see where your coming from but would the most recognizable Sports media outlet, a company that can control college football polls to an extent, stick there neck out and report on the there "Top Stories" on Sportscenter, there most recognizable program, state and show video that Pelini would be the next Husker head coach?

I'm not being completely fair here because you did post this a bunch of hours ago :woo

So what ur saying is Bo Pelini aint comming 2 NEBRASKA??? :hmmph

No, what is being said is that till TO says BP is the HC it is just a rumor. It may be correct, but no one is corroborating it. We have no idea who their sources are, or how accurate. With all of the rumors that have gone around, many of us are waiting for TO to make the announcement before believing.

It states no source? WTH? Do you expect them to say ... "According to Joe Blow, Bo Pelini will be hired ..."? Seriously, do you want not only Pat Forde to continue to be a professional while keeping the job of his source? My God, you NEVER name a source if they do not want to be named, ever. In journalism, it is one of the most unethical things you can do.

Journalism hides behind ethics when they are reporting unreliable rumor as fact.

Who the hell cares what a source says. Just the facts ma'am. But then you couldn't get people to watch your "news" show, could you?

BTW no " unless there is a snag" reference.

They stated that he WILL be named coach Monday.

That wouldn't be happening at a press conference, would it?

Im hoping for an 11:30am press conference on Monday to announce Bo Pelini as the next coach. That is what I entered last week on the 1620 who's next contest.

I told them to bank on it and I may just be right.

I also told 1620 the zone to bank on it only I said 3:00 on Monday, looks like one of us will be right :horns2

Journalism hides behind ethics when they are reporting unreliable rumor as fact.

Who the hell cares what a source says. Just the facts ma'am. But then you couldn't get people to watch your "news" show, could you?

You read journalism in every day culture when they state rumors. Why the sudden need to call this one out?

Do me a favor, find how many times ESPN has blown a story like this. You might be in the less than 1% percent range in all the stories they report.

Thanks for chiming in with nothing to add, though.