The ESPN Bo Pelini Rumor

There are no less than 4 media sources reporting this. It hasnt been confirmed but if it is BS , some major media outlets are going to look like asses.

4 media sources means what exactly. Three are probably just repeating what ESPN said.

So, four wrongs do NOT make a right.

Stupid media. Stupid Stupid

Watching the Lakers and Jazz on espn. They had a 30 and 30 update and said that Pelini will be the new coach at Nebraska according to their sources.

Hell it was a 30 second update and they felt it was news worthy enough to put it in .

I saw it as well bro, twice. I'm watching that game too. If you can call it that.

I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm just saying that the way the news business works (and I minored in Journalism at NU) this is a very safe thing to report the way they are reporting this.

The balloons analogy is very apt.

I think they're doing more guessing than fact-finding.

Exactly. The good people of Nebraska, all Husker fans are smart & intelligent. We dont have to put up with the nonsense. And we shouldn't. We expect honesty and integrity about our team. Not fluff or fuzzy thinking or reporting. Dr. Tom wouldnt have it any other way.

Here's where this rumor is coming from. ESPN, like most everyone else in America, thinks it's going to be Bo Pelini. Many signs point that way and there are no other conflicting reports right now, so that's the story.

Now, the most logical time for the announcement of the new Nebraska coach is Saturday after the SEC title game, Saturday after the Army/Navy game, or Monday after the weekend is over and NFL coverage isn't dominating TV. So it stands to reason that an announcement is going to be made within the next 3 1/2 days.

Since all signs seem to point to Pelini, ESPN can declare a scoop if they begin reporting that a "source" has given them inside info before anyone else reports it. It does the same thing for them that the rumormongers here were trying to do - get bragging rights. That's why the rumor comes out today.

If I had to bet money I'd bet they have NO source whatsoever. They don't have an Insider in the NU Athletic department, and even if they had one at LSU it's not likely they would know unless it's someone high enough up their chain that they stand to lose something for divulging this kind of stuff. If the decision has been made my guess would be that only Pelini and Miles and their AD know at this point.

So to me, knowing a bit about what happens in newsrooms, I'm not giving this story too much weight right now. Just like here at Rumorville - without citing a source, it's just a rumor.

So I would caution most everyone not to get too terribly excited about this right now. We still don't know more than we did yesterday - we still just have a rumor.

If they dont have a source I'll laugh my a$$ off if TO hires Gill...

Actually, I would laugh it is anyone other than Bo. Next week could be interesting, but I doubt ESPN knows what is going to happen, they are just guessing like everyone else.

Since all signs seem to point to Pelini, ESPN can declare a scoop if they begin reporting that a "source" has given them inside info before anyone else reports it.

And if they're wrong, they'll just have to deal with the backlash for about a week until everyone forgets about it. And then they'll still be number one for sports broadcasting.

It's actually a good move by ESPN.