RB-Mike Grant/Randy Jordon??????

WR-Ted Gilmore also Recruiting Coordinator"N"

DC

DL

LB

DB

ST

Mike Ekeler "N" and John Papuchis "N"

OWH article on 7 Dec has them hired but not known what position that they will be coaching

NU Football: LSU aides earn praise as Pelini staff picks

BY RICH KAIPUST

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — Even without knowing what Nebraska will be paying Mike Ekeler and John Papuchis, Dr. Sam Nader tends to believe it will be a bargain.

Nader watched Ekeler and Papuchis cut their teeth at Louisiana State. What they did was never for the money, which is good since they didn't make much.

"Both of them are really diligent workers," said Nader, the LSU assistant athletic director for football. "They're the kind of guys you can count on, whatever role you've got them in, to do the due diligence. And I guess that's what you start with in coaching, whether you're a strength coach, defensive coordinator or the head coach.

"If you don't have that trait in coaching, I don't know if you can be as good as you need to be to be at the championship level. I think both guys have that. Not just the willingness to work, but to sit there and work until the work is done."

Ekeler and Papuchis this week joined the Husker coaching staff, both following Bo Pelini from LSU to Nebraska. Their exact roles aren't yet known — as Pelini has made no announcement on a finalized staff — but both already have been out recruiting.

Ekeler is 36, Papuchis just 29. Neither has ever been a full-time assistant coach. Nader could see how their hires might be considered risks.

"But they're about as sharp a pair of young guys as we've ever had here," Nader said. "I'm an old guy, and one of the things I've noticed over the years is that people who are really good at something are people who love it. I think both these guys have that attribute, too."

Ekeler is from Blair, Neb., and lettered in football at Kansas State. He left a business career to become a graduate assistant at Oklahoma in 2004, getting the itch after volunteering at Omaha Skutt. Ekeler basically caddied for Pelini and Brent Venables, the Sooners' co-defensive coordinators.

His three seasons at LSU then paralleled those of Pelini. Most recently he served as a strength and conditioning assistant.

Ekeler played linebacker at Kansas State but was best known for being a special teams demon. To get teammates fired up, his pregame ritual was to crash headfirst into end-zone advertising signs at KSU home games.

"I actually broke one once and got my head caught in it," Ekeler told The World-Herald four years ago.

Papuchis filled roles as administrative intern and graduate assistant at LSU. He also had direct exposure to Pelini because he concentrated on defense.

The native of Gaithersburg, Md., graduated from Virginia Tech and spent time at Kansas before arriving in Baton Rouge in 2004.

Nader said college football is filled with coaching hopefuls waiting for their break. Guys trying to impress somebody or make the right contact — trying to get by while often supporting a wife or family without the benefit of a regular income.

Ekeler and Papuchis were no different.

"It's a tough deal in terms of the way these guys suffer through the anxiety of unknowing until they get that break," Nader said. "But both these guys, you could say, earned their shot and will make the most of it."

HC Bo Pelini

OC-Shawn Watson "N"

QB-Shawn Watson "N"

OL-Barney Cotton "N"

TE-Ron Brown "N"

DC-Bo Pelini

DL-Carl Pelini "N"

LB-Mike Ekeler "N"

DB-Marvin Sanders "N"

ST-John Papuchis "N"

Mike Ekeler "N" and John Papuchis "N"

OWH article on 7 Dec has them hired but not known what position that they will be coaching

Looks like the staff is about complete, with a question on what each assistants actual title will be, and who the running backs coach is going to be, and if Bo is going to be HC/DC or if someone else will be give the title of DC with Bo calling the defensive plays

If anyone would get the title of DC it should be Marvin. He is by-far the most qualified out of him, Ekeler, Carl, and Papuchis.

I wonder what is going-on with the last hiring. Is there somebody in the mix we don't know about? I'm not sure about the love-affair with Grant but if they offered I'm sure he'd take it. Is Bo still giving Jordan the chance to pull this out? Is Rudolph still in the mix at-all?

HC Bo Pelini

OC-Shawn Watson "N"

QB-Shawn Watson "N"

OL-Barney Cotton "N"

TE-Ron Brown "N"

DC-Brad Peveto??????

DL-Carl Pelini??????

LB-Mike Eckler???????

DB-Marvin Sanders??????

ST

Mike Eckler is "N" but i have not heard what position he will be coaching yet

Latest LJS article suggests Randy Jordan will be staying at NU along with Gilmore and Watson.

Hope not.

You keep stating you hope not in multiple threads. Care to ever explain why? I thought the RB's unit was always strong, not just running, but catching and pass blocking. Besides Castille's 3 or 4, there are not a lot of turnovers. That's why I think we keep him.

Per, LJS-blog

This appears to be the coaching staff Bo Pelini is in the midst of forming.

According to a source close to the situation, the defensive coaches are likely to be:

Mike Eckler (strength coach at LSU, played at Kansas State)

Marvin Sanders (former Husker, coached at NU in 2003 and also served as co-defensive coordinator at North Carolina)

Carl Pelini (D-line coach at Ohio for Frank Solich)

John Papuchis (a defensive intern at LSU in 2007)

And the offensive coaches:

Barney Cotton (former Husker, coached with Pelini in 2003 at NU, former Iowa State offensive coordinator)

Shawn Watson (NU's offensive coordinator in 2007)

Ted Gilmore (NU's receivers coach for last three years, recruiting coordinator)

Ron Brown (Coached NU's receivers for 17 years)

This leaves one more position to be filled. Hopefully an official announcement is soon coming.

link

this list makes me think the report from grobe that TO was telling him he couldnt pick his assistants is BS. you really think barney cotton is that big of a deal?

I believe it. Grobe is known for taking his coaches with him. Did it when he came to Wake from Ohio and he has had only two leave since. I don't see him being down with TO wanting him to keep Waton and hire some guys with Neb ties. Grobe wants his guys and TO wanted some of his guys.

Whether he'd have gotten the job even if he agreed to take some guys TO wanted I don't know.

Per, LJS-blog

This appears to be the coaching staff Bo Pelini is in the midst of forming.

According to a source close to the situation, the defensive coaches are likely to be:

Mike Eckler (strength coach at LSU, played at Kansas State)

Marvin Sanders (former Husker, coached at NU in 2003 and also served as co-defensive coordinator at North Carolina)

Carl Pelini (D-line coach at Ohio for Frank Solich)

John Papuchis (a defensive intern at LSU in 2007)

And the offensive coaches:

Barney Cotton (former Husker, coached with Pelini in 2003 at NU, former Iowa State offensive coordinator)

Shawn Watson (NU's offensive coordinator in 2007)

Ted Gilmore (NU's receivers coach for last three years, recruiting coordinator)

Ron Brown (Coached NU's receivers for 17 years)

This leaves one more position to be filled. Hopefully an official announcement is soon coming.

link

this list makes me think the report from grobe that TO was telling him he couldnt pick his assistants is BS. you really think barney cotton is that big of a deal?

I believe it. Grobe is known for taking his coaches with him. Did it when he came to Wake from Ohio and he has had only two leave since. I don't see him being down with TO wanting him to keep Waton and hire some guys with Neb ties. Grobe wants his guys and TO wanted some of his guys.

Whether he'd have gotten the job even if he agreed to take some guys TO wanted I don't know.

I still dont see TO saying that. cant comment on grobe. I dont know that much about him. but from what TO has said in the past I dont see him being that controlling.