RB-Mike Grant/Randy Jordon??????

WR-Ted Gilmore also Recruiting Coordinator"N"

DC-Bo Pelini

DL-Carl Pelini "N"

LB-Mike Ekeler "N"

DB-Marvin Sanders "N"

ST-John Papuchis "N"

Mike Ekeler "N" and John Papuchis "N"

OWH article on 7 Dec has them hired but not known what position that they will be coaching

Edited by husker rob

The radio stations and Sipple have used the "word" - "confirmed" on many guys.....but I will feel a lot better when an official statement is made from the athletic department....

Once they announce that Watson and Sanders have signed on the dotted line, the rest is "gravy"....

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2007/1...c5225847546.txt

Ron Brown returns to NU coaching ranks

By BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Monday, Dec 03, 2007 - 07:08:09 pm CST

At least one piece of Nebraska coach Bo Pelini’s football staff is officially in place.

Former longtime Nebraska assistant coach Ron Brown confirmed Monday that he’s been hired as tight ends coach. He’s passed his recruiting test and is set to hit the road today.

“I think more than anything, I can get back into recruiting quickly,” Brown said. “I travel a lot (for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes) and now it’s just a matter of getting acquainted with the kids.”

Brown was on the Husker staff for 17 years, coaching tight ends along with receivers for 16 of those. Bill Callahan’s arrival in 2004 left Brown out of coaching. For the past four years, Brown has served as state director of the FCA. He has resigned from that position.

Brown said he is working hard to become familiar with the players who have committed to Nebraska.

“We don’t want to have a short recruiting class,” Brown said. “I have very few details right now. We just haven’t had a chance to meet enough.”

Pelini isn’t commenting on his staff until its in place. But it appears other offensive assistants will include Shawn Watson, who will continue his role as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Barney Cotton for the offensive line and Ted Gilmore for the receivers. It’s unclear who will coach the running backs.

Phil Elmassian, who coached cornerbacks all four years on Callahan’s staff, told the Journal Star on Sunday that he wasn’t being retained. He said Pelini, who met with members of Callahan’s staff Sunday night, was bringing in his own defensive staff, meaning it’s unlikely any defensive coaches will be retained.

That’s not unexpected, considering the defensive-minded Pelini is in charge of revamping a defense that finished the regular season No. 112 nationally.

New defensive assistants, sources say, will include Bo’s brother Carl Pelini, and Marvin Sanders, who coached Nebraska’s secondary with Pelini in 2003.

Other names that have surfaced include Jimmy Williams, who coached linebackers at Nebraska in 2003, and possibly LSU assistant Bradley Dale Peveto, who’s the Tigers’ special-teams coordinator.

Cotton and Sanders were both in Lincoln on Monday.

As for the head coach, there’s no official word on whether Pelini will coach LSU in the Jan. 7 BCS national championship game against Ohio State.

Pelini’s contract details are also still being finalized. Nebraska officials say it could be a week or two before those details are announced.

“Obviously, there have been some agreements in principle and a memorandum of understanding, but it still takes time to get all the documents through the proper legal channels,” said Randy York, Nebraska associate athletic director for communications.

“We will announce full details of the contract when the timing is appropriate.”

Reach Brian Rosenthal at 473-7436 or brosenthal@journalstar.com.

Sanders will obviously coach db's, whether he'll be DC/co-DC is hard to say. Some have said Peveto from LSU would be DC. Though it appears Bo will act as his own DC like Carroll does and have Sanders, Peveto, or whomever act like Watson and Norvelle did-gameplan and have input but not actually call plays.

I would imagine Carl Pelini gets a job.

Some have said Williams for LB-coach but he is DC at Buffalo and TO may not be down with raiding Turner's team(Carl doesn't count since we are talking about brothers).

Others I'd be interested in as DC/co-DC/position coach-Dan McCarney, Phil Bennett, and DeWayne Walker.

I think Jon Tenuta is already getting snatched-up by Miles but maybe he had some position-coaches worth snatching. Ga Tech generally had one of the better D's in the nation.

HC Bo Pelini

OC-Shawn Watson

QB-Shawn Watson

OL-Barney Cotton

TE-Ron Brown

RB

WR-Ted Gilmore

DC

DL

LB

DB

ST

Rumors are that Ted Gilmore will stay as recievers and Shawn Watson will be OC/QB but no official announcement made yet

Looks like the Offensive Staff is about set with the only vacancy right now at RB. Is Jordon going to stay also? there is talk about Mike Grant or maybe Scott Frost here

Defense has a lot of possibles out there but nothing official at this time. Names like Peveto from LSU as DC/ST, Sanders as DB, Carl Pelini at DL, Jimmy Williams at LB.

I will update it as i read it.

BTW Scout has a story up on Brice Givens, where Brice said that he got a call from Wags telling him that he was not going to be coaching at NU anymore. He didnt say who was going to be the new coach, but if you put it all together, it is a petty safe bet that Barney Cotton is the man there

I would really like to hear more about the offensive play calling delegations. I realize everyone is talking spread option, but Watson is traditionally a west coach guy...I'm doubting anything will be talked about publicly, but if Watson is in fact going to tranisition into a spread option, I would hope he would do some traveling to Oregon or Florida to try and getter a better gauge of how the offense works.

Per LJS-blog,

This appears to be the coaching staff Bo Pelini is in the midst of forming.

According to a source close to the situation, the defensive coaches are likely to be:

Mike Eckler (strength coach at LSU, played at Kansas State)

Marvin Sanders (former Husker, coached at NU in 2003 and also served as co-defensive coordinator at North Carolina)

Carl Pelini (D-line coach at Ohio for Frank Solich)

John Papuchis (a defensive intern at LSU in 2007)

And the offensive coaches:

Barney Cotton (former Husker, coached with Pelini in 2003 at NU, former Iowa State offensive coordinator)

Shawn Watson (NU's offensive coordinator in 2007)

Ted Gilmore (NU's receivers coach for last three years, recruiting coordinator)

Ron Brown (Coached NU's receivers for 17 years)

This leaves one more position to be filled. Hopefully an official announcement is soon coming.

link

Per, LJS-blog

This appears to be the coaching staff Bo Pelini is in the midst of forming.

According to a source close to the situation, the defensive coaches are likely to be:

Mike Eckler (strength coach at LSU, played at Kansas State)

Marvin Sanders (former Husker, coached at NU in 2003 and also served as co-defensive coordinator at North Carolina)

Carl Pelini (D-line coach at Ohio for Frank Solich)

John Papuchis (a defensive intern at LSU in 2007)

And the offensive coaches:

Barney Cotton (former Husker, coached with Pelini in 2003 at NU, former Iowa State offensive coordinator)

Shawn Watson (NU's offensive coordinator in 2007)

Ted Gilmore (NU's receivers coach for last three years, recruiting coordinator)

Ron Brown (Coached NU's receivers for 17 years)

This leaves one more position to be filled. Hopefully an official announcement is soon coming.

link

this list makes me think the report from grobe that TO was telling him he couldnt pick his assistants is BS. you really think barney cotton is that big of a deal?

what i think is that Bo doesnt know alot about Offense so he took suggestions from TO about the previous staff on who should be kept. he also told Ron Brown that if he ever became a HC in the future he wanted Ron on his staff, and I think that was told to Barney also.

Since Bo knows Defense, he will bring in who he wants and it looks like it will be alot of LSU's current staff

JMHO

The Neb-ties guys are all at-least quite qualified. Every one is a vet. I think Cotton should do well with the line without having to worry about being OC as-well. Watson I'm meh on but will give TO the benefit of the doubt on. TO has no ties to him so he should be an unbiased evaluator.

Bo's d-hires after Marvin have much to prove. A strength-coach, a grad-assistant, and his brother? I can't say I'm wowed by this. I expected Carl but at-least Carl has been a 1A-coach, the other two? Ya maybe they'll be money, I certainly hope they are, but I'm not excited.

Bo's d-hires after Marvin have much to prove. A strength-coach, a grad-assistant, and his brother? I can't say I'm wowed by this. I expected Carl but at-least Carl has been a 1A-coach, the other two? Ya maybe they'll be money, I certainly hope they are, but I'm not excited.

From what I've heard, Eckler was pretty much Pelini's right-hand man. Was involved a lot in developing game plans for the defense. So... take it FWIW...