I highly doubt it's Ganz...

Does Witt have a scrambling bone in his body? I was told that if Keller would have gone down in the first half of the season that Witt more than likely would have been the one to come in and play the rest of the season. If he can't scramble at all, I do feel sorry for him going forward.

:dunno I remember hearing he was mobile, not a runner, a good arm, but not a pure drop back passer. When he transfered from Georgia to Texas, I had a few chances to go see him play. At the time, I just didnt feel like making the 45 minute drive. Looking back, I kind of wish I did now.

***SNIP***

The rule of thumb is "never go into a rebuilding year with a senior QB as a starter." If you do, then your number of rebuilding years has doubled. It is foolish to invest in a senior QB in a rebuilding year.

***SNIP***

I'm not so sure that's valid these days. Fans expect instant gratification. For the sake of continued employment, it may be better for a coach to try and win immediately to buy some breathing room - and most fans will then give a team a break when that team is having to start a new quarterback the second year of the new coach's tenure.

Oh boy, that's a tough call.

My guess is that it mostly depends on the HC's expectations of the coming year. If he thinks his team has a legitimate shot for some kind of conference/division title then he will throw everything behind his #1 qb and let the chips fall where they may fall for the following year.

If he thinks his team has a marginal to dismal shot for some kind of conference/division title then go to a two qb system or find lots of reasons to get the #2 qb lots of real-deal playing time and spend lots of quality time with the AD to beg, whine, etc for the desperately needed "one more year" of time needed to show the progress being made.

Addison,

We are on the same page. I just want good honest open competition at all positions and may the best man win. It is My Opinion that Ganz gets beat out but that is all it is AN OPINION. I want it for all positions. I want to win as a program just like the rest of ya. The same goes for the WR position. We have some untested guys that IMO are probably better athletically and skill wise than Swift and Petersen. I hope they step up and win the jobs if given the chance. I want a top 20 team next year and i think it is feasible. However, when talking top 20 i dont think any top 20 team has Swift and Petersen as their WR, it just doesnt work. They are possession guys with change of possession hands. Neither can stretch the field, get YAC, or separation. It will be a long year offensively if they are the go to guys.

Yes Ganz got us out of a scoring rut but go back and think about this. Kansas was also the first time in 2 years that Mo played about 90% of the snaps. He was a difference maker and it really helped Ganz. Keller, who IMO is a way better QB than Ganz never got the luxury of knowing Mo was going to be in the pattern every play. I cant tell you how many 3rd and longs we had where Mo was on the sideline. When Ganz took over, the coaches for some reason got smart and said "hey Mo you may not know all the routes but get your butt in there and just get open" Look what happened.

probally should of had crouch sit out for 50% of his senior year also :sarcasm

Im not saying hes to that quality but he knows the offence and he knows the players. I dont think we can have a great season without him at the helm of it. Its going take both bo and ganz to help turn this thing around. Bo can handle the defence but ganz knows the offence. Definately, Definately let the other 2 play and condition because we will need them. But dont shortchange ganz again, havent we dont that enough.

Ben

NU will not have a great season with or without Ganz next year. But the probability of potentially great seasons in the following two years is much improved if the youth are the key players next year.

***SNIP***

The rule of thumb is "never go into a rebuilding year with a senior QB as a starter." If you do, then your number of rebuilding years has doubled. It is foolish to invest in a senior QB in a rebuilding year.

***SNIP***

I'm not so sure that's valid these days. Fans expect instant gratification. For the sake of continued employment, it may be better for a coach to try and win immediately to buy some breathing room - and most fans will then give a team a break when that team is having to start a new quarterback the second year of the new coach's tenure.

Oh boy, that's a tough call.

My guess is that it mostly depends on the HC's expectations of the coming year. If he thinks his team has a legitimate shot for some kind of conference/division title then he will throw everything behind his #1 qb and let the chips fall where they may fall for the following year.

If he thinks his team has a marginal to dismal shot for some kind of conference/division title then go to a two qb system or find lots of reasons to get the #2 qb lots of real-deal playing time and spend lots of quality time with the AD to beg, whine, etc for the desperately needed "one more year" of time needed to show the progress being made.

Very rational analysis. I agree. I also assume that Pelini will realize that NU next year has a marginal to dismal shot for some kind of conference/division title. After all, he picked up a team that was10th or 11th best in a 12 team conference. He is rebuilding. He should see it as a process and structure what he does in view of results over a two - three year period. Think about it. Should Iowa assume they have a great shot at winning the B10? Should Mississippi feel that they have a good shot at a divisional SEC championship? Should Washington assume that they have a real good shot at the PAC 10 championship next year? No. No. And no. So NU should be just as realistic.

So, NU should have in view a process. We are starting all over again --- just like four years ago. Only now, NU is in worse shape than was the case when Cally came in to give it his shot. Hopefully this time, with a new coach and a new rebuilding process, the results will be better. But good results are, at best two or three years out --- and only then if the coaching staff structures their approach rightly.

...Next year. Yeah, I understand that he showed great potential and I have nothing but respect for the kid because he has heart and is actually pretty damn mobile. He knows how to scramble.

However, I think that Lee is definitely going to win out. Callahan didn't always play the best guy, as was painfully obvious this season, but I think with Bo and this new staff, the guys who know how to play, will play (including freshman, hopefully). Lee is bigger, faster, and stronger than Ganz in every way. He can do everything that Ganz can do, including scrambling, and probably a little better, plus his arm is dynamite.

It sucks because Ganz has paid his dues to get where he's at, but I think it's going to be a competitive QB battle, but in the end, we're gonna be running our offense with Lee behind center.

I think it will be a good competition, but you are wrong about Lee being faster. Ganz runs a 4.5, while Lee is listed at 4.6

what makes you guys think that lee is so good?? any good stats or videos you can show me?

http://www.bighuskerfan.com/phpBB2/viewtop...39f7eedd0a4bbeb

QB, Zac Lee

San Francisco (CA) City College of San Francisco

6'2" 200 lbs. 4.60/40-yd. dash

COMMITTED: 11-14-2006

LEAD RECRUITERS: Dennis Wagner

bench max: n/a

squat max: n/a

GPA: n/a

4-Star JUCO QB, #10 JUCO, #1 JUCO QB Rivals.com

4-Star JUCO QB, Scout.com

40- Grade Espn

#2 JUCO QB, GridIron.com

Other offers: OU with other teams on the verge

Awards: 3x All-Lg @ HS; 2006 JC Frosh HM All-American JC Wire

Juco Fr. Stats: OFF: 64.2% comp%, 231-for-360, 3471 pass yds, 31 td, 5 int, 11 games; 6 rush td

HS Sr. Stats: OFF: 116-for-176, 1563 yds, 16 td, 10 int

HS Jr. Stats : OFF: 97-for-192, 1354 yds, 15 td, 8 int

HS So. Stats : OFF: 71-for-148, 944 yds, 8 td, 10 int

2004 1st-team Class 6A All-State

2005 1st-team Class 6A All-State

All those stats and rankings are great but has anyone seen him play? Does he have the same wack ass side arm delivery like Keller or good over the top mechanics like Ganz? I'd like to see him play first before annointing him the next starter. I for one fell for the Keller hype and then after watching the spring game and his mechanics thought "Oh No!" Why do we continue to annoint on hype, let's see results. We all know Ganz is a baller so let's give him the nod.

Sure Ganz had some INT's but so has Lee. Take a look at his sophomore through senior year of high school, 28 INT's with 39 TD's that isn't exactly a sparkling record. He did vastly improve his first year of JUCO with only 5 INT's but lets watch him play first. Most of Ganz INT's came because Callahan refused to run the ball and Ganz was forced to thread the needle. Give him some time, a decent running game and he'll either pick you apart or run you to death. That's exactly what we need, oh yeah that and a defense that actually tackles.

***SNIP***

Very rational analysis. I agree. I also assume that Pelini will realize that NU next year has a marginal to dismal shot for some kind of conference/division title. After all, he picked up a team that was10th or 11th best in a 12 team conference. He is rebuilding. He should see it as a process and structure what he does in view of results over a two - three year period. Think about it. Should Iowa assume they have a great shot at winning the B10? Should Mississippi feel that they have a good shot at a divisional SEC championship? Should Washington assume that they have a real good shot at the PAC 10 championship next year? No. No. And no. So NU should be just as realistic.

So, NU should have in view a process. We are starting all over again --- just like four years ago. Only now, NU is in worse shape than was the case when Cally came in to give it his shot. Hopefully this time, with a new coach and a new rebuilding process, the results will be better. But good results are, at best two or three years out --- and only then if the coaching staff structures their approach rightly.

How do you get that NU is in worse shape now than when Callahan took over four years ago? Solich pretty much left the cupboard bare for Callahan to work with, granted, Callahan changed our entire offensive scheme, but in those four years, he got some of the best talent in the nation in terms of recruits, he just didn't know how to develop them.

Pelini comes in with a squad that is far from depleted, we have skill guys who know how to play, they just need the guidance, plus....Pelini isn't going to completely alter the offense like Callahan did. No, Pelini is in a far better position and that's why there's so much optimism when it comes to next season.

***SNIP***

How do you get that NU is in worse shape now than when Callahan took over four years ago? Solich pretty much left the cupboard bare for Callahan to work with, granted, Callahan changed our entire offensive scheme, but in those four years, he got some of the best talent in the nation in terms of recruits, he just didn't know how to develop them.

Pelini comes in with a squad that is far from depleted, we have skill guys who know how to play, they just need the guidance, plus....Pelini isn't going to completely alter the offense like Callahan did. No, Pelini is in a far better position and that's why there's so much optimism when it comes to next season.

Well, things like this are subjective. I do think that NU is worse off now than they were four years ago in several ways. One, programs like Missouri and Kansas have really improved the rest of the conference , in general, has beat up on NU now for 4 years. NU no longer intimidates anyone. In fact, from a Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma, or even the middle-level programs in th B12, NU is viewed as a team that everyone should beat. In the last four years, and especially this last year, NU has been jackhammered by many conference teams. Ask fans from other B12 programs where NU resides in the conference and you will hear bottom half or bottom third. It was not that bad 4 years ago. As to the talent --- well, where is it? Where is the speed? NU was possibly the slowest in the B12 last year. Where is the physicality? The DL especially were thrown around like rag dolls all season. Sure there were coaching problems --- big time --- but I do not see this talent people say is here. Sure, you can refer to some recruiting rankings --- but where is the production? Perhaps the production is forthcoming. But based on who we have returning who played last year --- guys like Peterson, Swift, Lucky, our OL Ganz and on defense Murillo, Asante, Suh Potter, etc. well --- line them up with returning starters in the B12 and NU will be in the middle, at best.

Maybe there is hidden talent that will emerge --- I hope so.

But there is no actual evidence that this team coming up has better talent than did the team that Cally picked up. They might have some real young talent --- but who knows? Perhaps one could argue that certain individuals at certain positions are better now --- but as a group, they seem pretty similar +/- very little. But what makes this worse is Pelini is inheriting players who have only lost --- and have lost embarrassingly often and by wide margins. Cally picked up from a 10-3 team. Pelini from a 5-7 team that was the laughingstock --- at least defensively --- of the nation.

No, I think Cally left this program in worse shape than when he took over. At best, it was an up and down draw and the program is about the same now as it was then.

Pelini is starting all over again. From square one, we rebuild. One advantage he does have, as you rightly point out, is an offensive system already largely in place. That should help. But Pelini has his work cut out for him. We need to be patient.