Pelini on Jim Rome

From journalstar.com blog:

Bo speaks again

Since answering questions during his introduction as Nebraska's football coach on Sunday, we haven't heard from Bo Pelini, whose been busy with recruiting and picking a coaching staff.

On Friday, Pelini talked publicly on Jim Rome's national radio show.

Among the more interesting things was what he had to say about the offense and Shawn Watson, NU's offensive coordinator this past season.

It's been known since early in the week that Watson would be retained on the Husker staff, but the exact roles of the assistants have not been officially announced. From Pelini's words Friday, it sounds like Watson will have plenty of his fingerprints on the offense.

"Offensively, we’re not making a ton of changes," Pelini said. "We’ll tweak it a little bit here and there. And Coach Watson will put his flavor on it. But they’ve moved the football and that’s a real positive, and we have a lot of guys returning on offense. We have some building to do on defense, but I believe that I can get that done. I look forward to that challenge. It’s going to be fun. I kind of went through it the first time I came here (in 2003) and we got it fixed pretty quick. And I’m hoping to do the same thing here starting next year."

Since taking the job, Pelini said he's "been going 100 miles an hour."

"I'm close to finishing up my staff and recruiting’s really heading in the right direction," he said.

Asked about coaching for LSU in the national title game, Pelini said: "Coach (Les) Miles came to me and said they wanted me to be a part of it and I wanted to be a part of it. The players there and the staff, we’ve been through a lot together. I have a responsility toward them and I wouldn’t want to walk out."

Pelini said Osborne was very supportive about Pelini coaching in that game.

"They not only allowed me to do it. They wanted me to do it, and they know that it’s the right thing to do."

He was asked if he thought he could get things turned around as quickly as Bob Stoops did at Oklahoma.

"There’s never a quick fix," Pelini said. "Things have to be developed and a culture has to be built, but there’s talent here. And we just need to build on that talent and keep recruiting the right way -- get the kids buying in and believing again. You start going through some tough times and people forget what it takes to win and how to win and a bit of doubt starts creeping into their minds. We have to remove that doubt and get believing again."

He added: "I’m not talking about us coming in and rebuilding. It’s about going and trying to win right now. I’m committed to that. I’m putting together a top-notch staff that I think will be on the cutting edge of what we’re doing, and I think we’re looking to have an impact right off the bat. I don’t think they’re that far off. I think we’ll be significantly better next year. How that equates in wins and losses, I don’t know yet."

Pelini said he is already anxious for spring ball to start.

"You see that there’s kind of an air of excitement around the program again," he said. "I think you go through these tough times and you need to get uplifted. I think the whole fan base is excited. We (can) get the state excited about Nebraska football again, and build on that. Let’s go. I’m ready to go win some football games."

"I’m not talking about us coming in and rebuilding. It’s about going and trying to win right now. I’m committed to that. I’m putting together a top-notch staff that I think will be on the cutting edge of what we’re doing, and I think we’re looking to have an impact right off the bat. I don’t think they’re that far off. I think we’ll be significantly better next year. How that equates in wins and losses, I don’t know yet."

I love that comment. :w00t

"I’m not talking about us coming in and rebuilding. It’s about going and trying to win right now. I’m committed to that. I’m putting together a top-notch staff that I think will be on the cutting edge of what we’re doing, and I think we’re looking to have an impact right off the bat. I don’t think they’re that far off. I think we’ll be significantly better next year. How that equates in wins and losses, I don’t know yet."

I love that comment. :w00t

Yeah, I loved it too! A huge change from Callahan's line of bull about needing to get talent in here. Remember when Callahan would say over and over again about how he was "all about personnel"?

Reminds me of Sports Sound-Off from a couple years ago. Zatecha was saying BC, in his first year, basically gave a couple wins and bowl eligibility away by caring more about implementing his system than winning games. Making Dailey a dropback, make twenty reads guy was a recipe for losses.

In '03 Cotton wanted to run a different offense but Lord couldn't handle it. So we ran an O Lord could handle and got our share of W's. They weren't pretty W's but they were W's.

I like the latter attitude better.

In '03 Cotton wanted to run a different offense but Lord couldn't handle it. So we ran an O Lord could handle and got our share of W's. They weren't pretty W's but they were W's.

I like the latter attitude better.

This is what Billy C could not do. It's also what I like to refer to as "coaching".

"You see that there’s kind of an air of excitement around the program again," he said. "I think you go through these tough times and you need to get uplifted. I think the whole fan base is excited. We (can) get the state excited about Nebraska football again, and build on that. Let’s go. I’m ready to go win some football games."

That right there, Gets me excited for next year.

can anybody get the podcast? i'm pulling my hair out...

http://www.jimrome.com/home/show_audio_archive.html

However...it looks like its a pay service.

They played the whole thing on the Spread later that day (1480 in lincoln). I don't know if there are podcasts of that available (or, if there are, if they'd include that or if that would constitute copyright infringement). That could be worth a looksee, too.