Coach Pelini says Lucky may test NFL waters

The one thing I think Lucky has over the other players entering the draft is the experience in a Pro type offense. Lucky is the quintessential NFL back where he can run and catch the ball. I hope Lucky returns next year cuz I think he can have a break-out season. But I understand if he does enter the draft.

I agree with you. I just think he needs more time to develop into a more solid runner. His vision and reactions need to improve in his running game. That should come with better blocking technique up front.

The one thing I think Lucky has over the other players entering the draft is the experience in a Pro type offense. Lucky is the quintessential NFL back where he can run and catch the ball. I hope Lucky returns next year cuz I think he can have a break-out season. But I understand if he does enter the draft.

I agree with you. I just think he needs more time to develop into a more solid runner. His vision and reactions need to improve in his running game. That should come with better blocking technique up front.

I agree as well. He was more a potent player when he was catching the ball instead of running it. It'll be exciting to see him next year if he decides to stay for his senior year. I really really think he's going to finally have the type of season we've been hoping to see from him.

The one thing I think Lucky has over the other players entering the draft is the experience in a Pro type offense. Lucky is the where he can run and catch the ball. I hope Lucky returns next year cuz I think he can have a break-out season. But I understand if he does enter the draft.

No, the quintessential NFL back waits on blocks, follows blockers, can cut back, has multiple gears, has vision in space, and is physically robust. Marlon Lucky as measured against NFL RB's is not even close in any of these areas to what an NFL back can do. He does have NFL speed, NFL hands, and is NFL able to have vision and run in space after the catch. He might make for a decent interior receiver. But he is nowhere near NFL ready as a running RB.

I too hope he returns and develops some of these skills and really improves. He has potential, so it would seem, but that potential has yet to be realized at the college level and that is the first step. Often players improve dramatically in their senior years --- hopefully that will be the case for Marlon. I hope he stays.

B-Jax was graded as a 5th rounder or so last year and decided to chance it and it paid off. I imagine Lucky will have a similar projection. Who knows if he listens? The class could be pretty fat with Juniors coming out, not a ton of seniors out there that are going to go high.

The one thing I think Lucky has over the other players entering the draft is the experience in a Pro type offense. Lucky is the where he can run and catch the ball. I hope Lucky returns next year cuz I think he can have a break-out season. But I understand if he does enter the draft.

No, the quintessential NFL back waits on blocks, follows blockers, can cut back, has multiple gears, has vision in space, and is physically robust. Marlon Lucky as measured against NFL RB's is not even close in any of these areas to what an NFL back can do. He does have NFL speed, NFL hands, and is NFL able to have vision and run in space after the catch. He might make for a decent interior receiver. But he is nowhere near NFL ready as a running RB.

I too hope he returns and develops some of these skills and really improves. He has potential, so it would seem, but that potential has yet to be realized at the college level and that is the first step. Often players improve dramatically in their senior years --- hopefully that will be the case for Marlon. I hope he stays.

robsker is right on track here......Lucky has more development left before he can seriously expect attention from the NFL draft, this year or even next year.

this kid has been really slow to develop, nothing at all like was expected, irregardless of the quality of the line play.

from --War Room Report

2008 NFL Draft Running Back Rankings

by War Room Report Staff

Updated: December 4, 2007

Editor's Note: Please note, the goal of the WRR positional rankings is NOT to simulate the rankings of the NFL teams. It is the independent ranking of the top prospects compiled by the War Room Report Staff after our scouting.

Rank Player College Height Weight 40 Yard Dash WRR Grade

1. Darren McFadden* Arkansas 6-2 205

2. Jonathan Stewart* Oregon 5-11 240

3. Ray Rice* Rutgers 5-9 200

4. Rashard Mendenhall* Illinois 5-11 225

5. Steve Slaton* West Virginia 5-10 195

6. Jamaal Charles* Texas 6-1 200

7. Felix Jones* Arkansas 6-0 200

8. Kevin Smith* Central Florida 6-0 210

9. James Davis* Clemson 5-11 205

10. Yvenson Bernard Oregon State 5-9 202

11. Ian Johnson* Boise State 5-11 194

12 Mike Hart Michigan 5-9 196

13. Tashard Choice Georgia Tech 6-1 205

14. Chris Johnson East Carolina 5-11 200

15. Matt Forte Tulane 6-0 225

16. Rafael Little Kentucky 5-10 195

17. BenJarvus Green-Ellis Mississippi 5-11 225

18. Amir Pinnix Minnesota 6-0 205

19. Dontrell Savage Oklahoma State 5-9 195

20. Ryan Torrain Arizona State 6-1 213

*Junior

Other Top Seniors

Justin Forsett, Cal

Albert Young, Iowa

L.V. Whitworth, Boston College

Chris Markey, UCLA

Andre Callender, Boston College

Chauncey Washington, USC

Kregg Lumpkin, Georgia

Austin Scott, Penn State

Tony Temple, Missouri

Omar Cuff, Delaware

Jamario Thomas, North Texas

Micah Andrews, Wake Forest

Hugh Charles, Colorado

Lance Ball, Maryland

Allen Patrick, Oklahoma

Kalvin McRae, Ohio

Cody Boyd, South Carolina

Louis Rankin, Washington

Anthony Arlidge, Houston

Courtney Tennial, Tulsa

Calvin Dawson, Louisiana-Monroe

Underclassmen to watch

Tyrell Sutton, Northwestern

Jorvoskie Lane, Texas A&M

Toney Baker, NC State

Javon Ringer, Michigan State

Andre Brown, NC State

Marcus Thigpen, Indiana

George Stripling, Louisville

Shannon Woods, Texas Tech

Rodney Ferguson, New Mexico

Antone Smith, Florida State

Marlon Lucky, Nebraska

Brandon Ore, Virginia Tech

GO BO!!

I still think he has a long LONG way to go as far as a rusher. There were several games were he ran to the line like a timid little girl. He needs ALOT of improvement on the ground IMO to get into the top 2 rounds. In the pro's you still have to be able to run between the tackles to be a feature back and Lucky has not proved nearly enough.