Coach Pelini says Lucky may test NFL waters

IMO, Callahan actually coached 'down' true talent with magic schemes that would solve everything. I'm guessing BO and company will be much better at just 'turning them loose'. I look for Lucky to show FAR more burst and footspeed, when he's simply allowed to play on INSTINCT.

Noticed this in the 'on field' situations with the USC stable of backs. They simply turned their legs on at 100%.

I think Lucky was far more difficult to bring down in his High School films.

IMO, Callahan actually coached 'down' true talent with magic schemes that would solve everything. I'm guessing BO and company will be much better at just 'turning them loose'. I look for Lucky to show FAR more burst and footspeed, when he's simply allowed to play on INSTINCT.

Noticed this in the 'on field' situations with the USC stable of backs. They simply turned their legs on at 100%.

I think Lucky was far more difficult to bring down in his High School films.

I agree totally here. A great example is Sam Keller. When Keller was at ASU he was on the Heisman watch list, which he wasn't ever close to here. I looked at some draft projections last year for (I believe it was ) the 06 draft that had him as high as first round, 7th pick. The projections I've looked at this year don't even have him in the first 3 rounds. It's possible he may not get drafted at all. He's a guy it should have easily made it to the first 3 rounds.

To me, that's the real consequence of Slick Billy's 'system'. I don't expect Marlon will project in the first 6 rounds at all. That's sad.

The one thing I think Lucky has over the other players entering the draft is the experience in a Pro type offense. Lucky is the where he can run and catch the ball. I hope Lucky returns next year cuz I think he can have a break-out season. But I understand if he does enter the draft.

No, the quintessential NFL back waits on blocks, follows blockers, can cut back, has multiple gears, has vision in space, and is physically robust. Marlon Lucky as measured against NFL RB's is not even close in any of these areas to what an NFL back can do. He does have NFL speed, NFL hands, and is NFL able to have vision and run in space after the catch. He might make for a decent interior receiver. But he is nowhere near NFL ready as a running RB.

I too hope he returns and develops some of these skills and really improves. He has potential, so it would seem, but that potential has yet to be realized at the college level and that is the first step. Often players improve dramatically in their senior years --- hopefully that will be the case for Marlon. I hope he stays.

You hit the nail on the head, sir. :cheers

I don't think that Lucky should be considering the NFL right now. He is simply not good enough for the NFL. He can't even break tackles and after the Nevada game he became at most an average running back. I think one more year with the Huskers and he will be ready for the NFL. He's a good receiving back though, and Keller would always dump it off to him and thats one of the reason that he had such a big season this year. But with one more year of college experience I think he'll be ready for the NFL and probably be a late round draft pick if his numbers are similar to this year. Maybe Pelini will teach him better than Callahan. But I would be very surprised if he went pro this year because I really don't think he's good enough yet.

Lucky should go if he wants to make the league minimum and play for 3-4 years and prove himself for a big contract. Or, he can stay, become a top 5 back in the draft for next year ... and come into the NFL with a bonus that will make him financially secure incase of injury and lock him into a big million dollar contract ... perhaps much bigger.

Mark

I would love Lucky to stay, but all the same- one busted knee and he loses millions of dollars. Admittedly, if I were in his shoes I would go pro- even if I might go in a higher round next year. If that kind of money and opportunity presents itself, you take it. The health of a RB is too fragile to mess with if millions are involved. RBs get crushed 30+ times a game by 200-300 pound objects. You would never know which carry would be your last.

I heard them say on 1620 this morning that Coach Pelini said that Lucky will try to gage interest in the NFL. I guess it depends on what the committees tell him as to whether he goes pro or not. Isn't Gil Brandt one of those involved?

Fine. Let him go to the NFL. He's no good anyway. None of them are. They need guys like Rozier or Phillips or Green. Not these wussies they have now. Get rid of them all and recruit some REAL running backs... :boxosoap

I heard them say on 1620 this morning that Coach Pelini said that Lucky will try to gage interest in the NFL. I guess it depends on what the committees tell him as to whether he goes pro or not. Isn't Gil Brandt one of those involved?

Fine. Let him go to the NFL. He's no good anyway. None of them are. They need guys like Rozier or Phillips or Green. Not these wussies they have now. Get rid of them all and recruit some REAL running backs... :boxosoap

Wow! Lucky is a product of the system. I bet next year he would be player of the year. He just as been in a postion that he can't utilize his full potential. He is GOOD!