Don't expect miracles

HANC

This is not meant to be a "negative" post....Pelini has me friggin pumped up and ready to roll.....his two different articles (Denver Post and Core Philosophies) are excellent reads.............

this is just one of those "IMO" posts.......I think the defense will be much improved next season....they will fly and swarm to the ball and play with heart...

but, I am not sure I would expect them to "repeat" the turnaround that we experienced in 2003 with this look-alike staff.....reason............ (contrary to DJR313.....sorry...I agree with a lot of what you say) I do not think the talent level on defense is equal to the team we had returning in 2003...........just my opinion..

the 2003 team had:

J. Bullocks - NFL starter

D. Bullocks - NFL starter

F. Washington - NFL starter

B. Ruud - NFL starter and pro bowl snub....he is a stud

D. Williams - NFL starter and pro bowl player....inj. this year

S. Shanle - NFL starter

Trevor Johnson- we do not have a DE like him on this roster

Titus Adams - better than any d-lineman on this team

I'm sorry..... I don't see 6 NFL "starters" returning on next year's roster..... I don't see the talent on the 2008 team that was hidden in the 2003 team......NOT YET......

Yes, talent is there....and I hope that guys like Culbert, Thenarse, Potter, Suh, Asante, Dillard all end up at the next level, but based on what they have shown, they are not the same as the 2003 team.

Just saying, I think Bo will have this defense playing better, but expecting them to be in the top 25-40 might be a little bit optimistic.... could happen though..... I have faith, just a little realistic I guess

This is not meant to be a "negative" post....Pelini has me friggin pumped up and ready to roll.....his two different articles (Denver Post and Core Philosophies) are excellent reads.............

this is just one of those "IMO" posts.......I think the defense will be much improved next season....they will fly and swarm to the ball and play with heart...

but, I am not sure I would expect them to "repeat" the turnaround that we experienced in 2003 with this look-alike staff.....reason............ (contrary to DJR313.....sorry...I agree with a lot of what you say) I do not think the talent level on defense is equal to the team we had returning in 2003...........just my opinion..

the 2003 team had:

S. Shanle - NFL starter

I'm sorry..... I don't see 6 NFL "starters" returning on next year's roster..... I don't see the talent on the 2008 team that was hidden in the 2003 team......NOT YET......

Yes, talent is there....and I hope that guys like Culbert, Thenarse, Potter, Suh, Asante, Dillard all end up at the next level, but based on what they have shown, they are not the same as the 2003 team.

Just saying, I think Bo will have this defense playing better, but expecting them to be in the top 25-40 might be a little bit optimistic.... could happen though..... I have faith, just a little realistic I guess

While I agree with your posting about a possible lack of talent (we won't know what we have cause they have yet to prove themselves, especially with a lack of coaching last year), I don't think Williams would have been drafted as high as he was without Pelini. The same can be said of the 3 DB's. It was the fact Pelini knew how to use Williams (Bohl was clueless) and knew how to put our guys in position to make plays in the secondary.

the 2003 team had:

S. Shanle - NFL starter

In 2003, no one expected those guys to end up being that good. In 2002, the only defenders that stood out were Groce and Kelsay. The Bullocks brothers played small roles, Demorrio had not realized his potential and Washington was a true frosh who got schooled quite a bit(like a true frosh corner will). BTW, Scott Shanle didn't play for the 2003 team. I think we will be surprised what some of these players can do with a little attitude adjustment. Thenarse, Culbert, Asante, West, Blue, Amukamara, Suh, Potter, Turner, Dillard, Murillo etc. There is a lot to work with, lots of young talent there. There was no excuse for the defense in 2007 to be that bad. The 2002 team defense sucked. It wasn't as bad as 2007, but it wasn't a whole lot better. If the players come ready to play, the Huskers will have a top 30 defense next year and a pretty good turn around. FYI, top 30 this year was 350 yards per game allowed and 21 points per game allowed. I think those are achievable goals.

Overland......I think that you have "nailed' it...... I agree whole-heartedly........... We DON'T know what we have yet, because we STILL don't know how much responsibility fell on the coaches or how much of the responsibility fell on the athletes..........of course, all (most) of us would like to think that it was ALL coaching and that the athletes just were "victims of poor" coaching, but truth be known, I am sure that some of the demise has to be placed on the athlete themselves..... (at least a little)........

Like I said, I think talent is there, and can't wait to see what they may accomplish under Pelini......

I just wanted to state that the "unknow" should be enough to warrant a ....."don't assume the turnaround will be automatic"........... I sure hope so, and will have faith.... :restore

I just wanted to state that the "unknow" should be enough to warrant a ....."don't assume the turnaround will be automatic"........... I sure hope so, and will have faith.... :restore

The turn around won't be automatic. The players have to want to be a much better defense. If they buy into what Pelini is going to teach them, the defense will be much improved.

DJR313............very good points.......and like I said, I agree with a lot of what you say...my bad on Shanle..... I really think there is a possibility of a big turnaround, but as you just stated, the players will have to WANT to earn it...... it will depend on how much they adjust mentally to the change of culture that Pelini will bring in.... If they are truly football players and hate to friggin lose, then they should be stoked about the "work-ethic" and "philosphy" that is about to take the campus by storm..... but a few might be hooked on the whole "NFL practice mentality"......and I am sure they will get run out by the new staff...

I guess what concerns me the most is the D-line..........it all starts and stops here......... and Potter, Suh, and Turner just didn't perform this year....Turner too big and slow...Suh for some unknown wasn't the guy we thought, and Potter probably did the best of the group...... I am just not convinced that they are better than Trevor Johnson, Ryan Bingham, and Titus Adams......... I hope they step up and prove that they are....

and dont' forget how good TJ Hollowel was..... I think that he was in the top 3-4 in tackles that year....that team HAD athletes too...

DJR313............very good points.......and like I said, I agree with a lot of what you say...my bad on Shanle..... I really think there is a possibility of a big turnaround, but as you just stated, the players will have to WANT to earn it...... it will depend on how much they adjust mentally to the change of culture that Pelini will bring in.... If they are truly football players and hate to friggin lose, then they should be stoked about the "work-ethic" and "philosphy" that is about to take the campus by storm..... but a few might be hooked on the whole "NFL practice mentality"......and I am sure they will get run out by the new staff...

I guess what concerns me the most is the D-line..........it all starts and stops here......... and Potter, Suh, and Turner just didn't perform this year....Turner too big and slow...Suh for some unknown wasn't the guy we thought, and Potter probably did the best of the group...... I am just not convinced that they are better than Trevor Johnson, Ryan Bingham, and Titus Adams......... I hope they step up and prove that they are....

and dont' forget how good TJ Hollowel was..... I think that he was in the top 3-4 in tackles that year....that team HAD athletes too...

I agree that the D-line has to step up and those that do not want to work will get weeded out. There is a lot to prove, but I believe the talent level from 2003 and 2008 will be pretty similar. It's all a matter of having the attitude and the work ethic. That's the important thing.

How could you forget about Holliwell? He played very well that year.

What happen to those highly rated recruited classes? Do Husker fans just tear down the coaches recruits when their coach who recruited them is let go, or was Callahan recruiting genius overrated?

You can't have it both ways saying Frank was terrible at recruiting and Callahan was great at it then turn around and say that Pellini starting off with less and not expect a great turn around.

You can't have it both ways saying Frank was terrible at recruiting and Callahan was great at it then turn around and say that Pellini starting off with less and not expect a great turn around.

I think you can when you consider how offense heavy most of Callahan's classes were. There are a lot of young guys on the defense, especially since all the starting LB's graduated.

Dam those sh**ty recruits of FS. Man just think where the talent would be if BC would have been hired a couple years earlier. AAhh what could have been.

Most of the kids on the team next year will be Cally's so you check yourself on that. Only redshirt seniors will be left over from Solich the rest signed with Cally

the 2003 team had:

S. Shanle - NFL starter

You are absolutely correct. This NU team that Pelini inherits has far less talent overall than did the team that Callahan inherited. NU was stronger, in every sense before Callahan came than they are now upon Callahan's exit.

Those who think that NU has a great deal of talent now (or even upper mid-conference talent) are fooling themselves.

To your point, the 2003 team had 6 NFL guys on defense alone. There is not likely a single player on the upcoming defense who is NFl stuff for sure. Perhaps Suh, with a great deal of improvement, or Dillard? It is a stretch to see any of the offensive players in the pros either --- again, maybe Lucky. Perhaps, well.... perhaps.... who?

Dam those sh**ty recruits of FS. Man just think where the talent would be if BC would have been hired a couple years earlier. AAhh what could have been.

Most of the kids on the team next year will be Cally's so you check yourself on that. Only redshirt seniors will be left over from Solich the rest signed with Cally

It was a bad attempt at a joke, must of failed :)